Notices

Fabulous 100 pound club for women...

Old 05-13-2010, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
First, purchase a foodscale. That REALLY helped me recognize my portion issues. Then, when I journal my food here I know exactly how much I've eaten and my calories are more accurate. I can see the HUGE difference in calories between 4 ounces and 8 ounces, which keeps me from having seconds, ever.

Now, I am probably going to have an unpopular answer here regarding the chocolate. I have IMMENSE food issues (it's how I got above 400!), so FOR ME, I know I can NEVER give in. I have NEVER cheated. If I have pizza, I just eat the topping and I am done. My kids and SO have lots of crap in the house - my daughter RIGHT NOW has some white chocolate Easter eggs with a solid milk chocolate chick in them from Sees. I know they are there, and they will remain there because the 269 on my weight is going to be the LAST time I see it. Cookies, soda, crackers, pasta (a HUGE weakness for me), chocolate... all living in my cupboards right now. I know FOR ME that I need to treat my food issues like an allergy or an addiction. I am allergic to sugar - my body processes it right to fat. I have an addiction to carbs, I don't know when to stop eating them, always crave them and my life most definitely was out of control while I was eating them.
If I cheat, I am unlocking the cages of these demons and inviting them out into the arena to battle them again. No thank you! I have driven them into their dark cages and they will remain there until I can tame them and train them. If I eat one of those eggs in my daughter's room, I will eat the other 6. If I eat the 6 tonight, I will get a candy bar tomorrow when I fill up my car. If I get a candy bar tomorrow morning, I will pick up some ice cream for dinner. If I have ice cream after dinner, a bowl will come to bed with me. ADDICTION! So, I stay steel willed, and so can YOU! Just think about where you are heading, go take a shower or read a book. Get your mind off it. And, more than a few times I had to be the bitch and tell my SO to PLEASE stop smacking McDonald's sausage McMuffins in my face. Good luck, I hope I helped. I know others on here believe in the "cheating" makes it better rule... that works for them. I would listen to their perspectives too and decide what feels right and manageable for YOU.
Yes I think I might have to be that way as well. I can not just have 1 so maybe I am the same for sure! I feel like a kid because I will even hide it and hope no one catches me lol.

It is like I am sabotaging myself because I am not even hungry, I just keep eatting because I like it. Then I hate myself for doing that because I will get bigger. I am so afraid of getting bigger because I have M.S. and right now it is fine but my fear is one day it will not be and my husband can not lift me and god forbid he ever have to bath me OMG! I would rather die so that is why but you would think that should be motivation enough right...... nope!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by christineval
What do you do when you get chocolate cravings? I have a bad sweet totth and I cant stop eatting it until they are done or gone. I have a husband and 2 kids so not having it in the house at all is not going to happen but it is usually only in the house on weekend if we are entertaining or going to someone elses home.

I eat pretty good otherwise. I always say that I do not think Jillian would be able to throw out to much in my fridge or cupboards lol.

I think the big part of the problem is portions! It sucks when I think I am probably fat because of eatting too much of good food lol.
I have exactly the same problem, too much of a good thing!!! I'm going to second the food scale. I LOVE mine, got it at Wal-Mart for less than $20. I do a lot of canning also and it helps me figure out recipes for that as well. It also goes down low enough to calculate postage, so it's it's a very useful little thing and it doesn't even take up much room, maybe a spot 5" x 5". I think I've had it close to a year and have never even had to change the battery.

As for snacky foods in the house, I've changed my whole family over to diet food. Hilarious but true, there was a little resistance at first, but kids are pretty adaptable and DH has a heart condition (so when he complains I just give him the "look" and he shuts right up). Kids lunches must contain, 1 serving whole grain, 1 serving veggies, 1 serving fresh fruit. The only snacky foods I buy are low-fat and low-cal. What's good for the goose is good for the whole flock - seriously think about it. If you had been raised in a house with healthy snacks, healthy meals and healthy eating habits, would you be overweight now?

As for chocolate, I put 1/2 a scoop of chocolate protein powder in my morning coffee with a splash of skim milk, and call it my morning muscle mocha. If your not into coffee, it's pretty good with just the skim milk. There are also 60 calorie fudgesicles, sugar-free pudding cups and some folks on this forum actually plan their menu around a square or two of chocolate. When I'm having a really craving chocolate day, I will split a chocolate bar with the kids. I have 3-6 kids here at any given time, so I never get the whole thing. 1/4 of a Hershey bar is about 60 calories, none of them are good for you, but 60 calories isn't a flying leap off the diet wagon. So instead of deprivation, plan for a little daily chocolate to help keep you on track.

I don't completely disagree with SkinnyErinn on staying away from foods that are serious weaknesses for you, at least for the time being. I stayed away completely for the first 2-3 months I was doing this, until I felt I had gained a measure of control over my food addictions. My goal is not just to lose weight, my goal is to find a way for me to be at a healthy weight for life. I knew going into this that if I denied myself for all time, that I would never be able to stick with it beyond a certain point. So part of my journey has also been to learn how to control myself over those trigger foods. At this point I usually only eat chocolate foods that I didn't eat before, so it's sugar-free pudding instead of candy bars, and protein powder rather than snack cakes. That way I get my chocolate fix in a controlled fashion that doesn't usually trigger a binge. I also have tried to eat my chocolate while simultaneously drinking a huge bottle of water. In hopes of filling myself up and pairing a bad habit with a good one.

Last edited by almeeker; 05-13-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

I am a chocoholic...but I can limit it to a small amount of really good chocolate. I buy ChocoLove bars and eat 1/6th of a bar when I really feel the need. However I do know that if I'm suffering from PMS, that I could easily overdo and eat the whole bar of chocolate too. Learning what sets me off has been really important, and someone on here said that the same chemical that your brain puts out when you eat comfort food is what your brain puts out after exercise and that is something I try to keep in mind.

I can't and WON'T use fake sweeteners. I can taste them, no matter what anyone says. I had a great healthy choice frozen fudge bar a few years ago, but after a couple of bites was like "hmph, aftertaste, yuk, what's in this?" and sure enough it was sweetened with splenda or aspartame, don't remember which. Aside from the aspartame addiction that dh had and kicked finally, I've just read too much about how the FDA only approved aspartame for chewing gum, not the quantities that the general public consumes it in.

I will "third" the kitchen scale. And measuring cups! Any tool that you can use, especially at first when you're trying to really watch portion control is really valuable.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hi ladies..sorry to confuse everyone but there is a new May thread started for us....see you over there!!!! this one is getting too many pages and hard to load
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by montanacricket
I am a chocoholic...but I can limit it to a small amount of really good chocolate. I buy ChocoLove bars and eat 1/6th of a bar when I really feel the need. However I do know that if I'm suffering from PMS, that I could easily overdo and eat the whole bar of chocolate too. Learning what sets me off has been really important, and someone on here said that the same chemical that your brain puts out when you eat comfort food is what your brain puts out after exercise and that is something I try to keep in mind.
75% ChocoLove yummmm, now that is a little slice of heaven right there. I don't think I could trust myself with one of those yet.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

I know, and some days I can't be trusted with them either...but if I take it out of my file drawer, break off 1/6th of it, record it before I eat it in fitday and then nibble on it for 20 minutes (along with a huge glass of water like you do) I can stave off the cravings...I like the chocolate with cherries and almonds (55%), ginger crystallized in dark chocolate (65%), orange peel in dark chocolate (55%) and of course the standard 73% one.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning ladies,
Well you guys simply rock!! I just finished reading all the posts & am SO impressed! Congrats to all of you on such good work. WTG!
VaVaVoom SkinnyErin! Love your blog!
Almeeker:
10/25/10 (the 14th anniversary of my 28th birthday)
ROTFLMAO almeeker! Not your goal, I know you'll attain your goal - it's the anniversary of your 28th-you crack me up girl. Congrats on doing excellent! Hey-how's your garden coming along? I've FINALLY recovered from the records lows & gotten back on track with new plants in the ground.

Dh & I started P90 on our anniversary (our 38th!) so as a gift to each other we keep each other on track since both of us are couch taters by night & computer jockies by day & slugs by nature. Since I had sustained major injuries last time I tried to do P90, this time I'm being verrrrrrrry careful. The good news is with the heavy workout I have to eat more calories to maintain my metabolism (up to 1500 from 1200)...the bad news is that the additional 300 calories are mostly lean protein and not cupcakes. Like last time, I'm gaining muscle so there's been a temporary weight gain, but inches are being lost in places and gained in others where the muscles are being used the most. So I'm not freaking out like I did last time the scales moved in the wrong direction, I know that soon my body will level out & I'll lose again. I'm quite a bit lighter than the last time, BMI is about 20% less, so it's not as painful as it was the last time either.

Originally Posted by christineval
Hey all,

You guys are all doing so well! I can not wait until I can say that I am losing weight as well. I have no idea what is going on since I have never in my life worked out 5 days a week minimum for min 45 minutes each day and yet I have still not lost any weight!. I am more carefull with what I am eatting and feel that jsut the big improvement of working out 5 days a week should show something since it has been since the end of February!

I am trying not to get to down and I know the wrong thing to do would be to give up but it is very frustrating since I am 250 and want to get to 140 and do not see anything happening lol.

I need nelp please anyone lol sorry to be so negative.
Hey, (hug) I have been EXACTLY where you're at & as hard as I worked no one else but me believed me. Even my doc thought that I wasn't being truthful. I wanted to strangle her scrawny little neck! What I found was a unique inner strength & it built my self esteem. The other thing I found out was that my body will not lose weight if I eat certain foods. I stalled and even gained weight eating grains & starchy food on a 1200 cal a day plus an hour a day workout plan. It was evil. Very evil.
Try this: avoid a certain food while maintaining a good pro-carb-fat ratio and stay in your same calorie range. Keep everything the same except adjust the types of foods for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. Try staying away from grain (rice, wheat, rye, barley, etc - including all things made with them, pasta, flour, breadings, all breads, etc) for 7 to 14 days and see if the scale moves. If no change then try eliminating another type of food. Since this discovery I've met others who have the same problem so here's a list of some of the other foods people said kept them from losing weight: nuts, dairy, red meat, grains, starchy food (potatoes, etc) sugar, sugar substitutes, fruits that are high on the glycemic index. There are probably more. It's weird, but maybe our bodies are just overly sensitive to one or more of these things. When I eat grains it's water weight gain if I just have a little of them since 3 days after I've eaten it the weight usually goes away, but I don't lose any actual weight for a while afterward - I'm totally stalled at that weight for a week or so, if I eat too much of it I will gain weight & it doesn't come off as if it's water. So maybe it's food allergies or food sensitivities or maybe just a curse. that some of us have. But anyways, do try it, it might just be the ticket for you, too.
Also I agree, be sure to measure yourself at least 1X a month. Last month I lost 4 inches in my hips and since I average 1 pound a week I must have lost all the weight on my hips (none of the other measurements changed. I mean our bodies are weird sometimes.) Instead of feeling that same frustration over working so hard and having so little gain (or loss rather) I was over the moon happy with the results. Keep your head up and shoulders back - you're learning what your body needs & what things work & don't work for you. It's a process, so hang tight, you can do it!

Last edited by desertmountain; 05-13-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning everyone..this is my first time in here...I just joined fitday a few days ago so I am slowly beginning to get my way around the forums. I have the next week off from work for Vacation time..but not going anywheres..just gonna relax here at home ( yeah right )..lol. ! Anyways..I am turning 50 yrs old on the 16th (tomorrow) eeep! I have decided its time to look after " me " more!

I have a lot of weight to lose...but I have to make shorter goals as little steps towards the overall..so as to not become overwhelmed or throw in the towel out of frustrations. On another note..I am fairly comfortable with being a larger woman..I do not want to get skinny..I want to get healthy and shed off some extra's that I just really dont need to be packing around on me anymore. So right now..although I could deffinately lose 100 lbs...I have started with trying to get 30 lbs off first. I am currently at 22 lbs down. I AM HAPPY TO BE HERE !

Has anyone heard of Michael Thurman's 6 Week Body Makeover? Thats what I am trying to go by...its made a lot of perfect sense to me...its gonna take me more than 6 weeks ..but the concept is what is jazzing me up !

Good luck to everyone here on your journeys and goals...hope to hear from ladies here !!

Hugs around the room !!
Sandy

Last edited by Sandy\'s50; 05-15-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: mis spelled word
Old 05-15-2010, 04:25 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Sandy, glad you can join us. There is a new 100+ thread called "marvelous May", check for us there. Sounds like you're off to a great start!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by desertmountain
Good morning ladies,
Well you guys simply rock!! I just finished reading all the posts & am SO impressed! Congrats to all of you on such good work. WTG!
VaVaVoom SkinnyErin! Love your blog!
Almeeker: ROTFLMAO almeeker! Not your goal, I know you'll attain your goal - it's the anniversary of your 28th-you crack me up girl. Congrats on doing excellent! Hey-how's your garden coming along? I've FINALLY recovered from the records lows & gotten back on track with new plants in the ground.

Dh & I started P90 on our anniversary (our 38th!) so as a gift to each other we keep each other on track since both of us are couch taters by night & computer jockies by day & slugs by nature. Since I had sustained major injuries last time I tried to do P90, this time I'm being verrrrrrrry careful. The good news is with the heavy workout I have to eat more calories to maintain my metabolism (up to 1500 from 1200)...the bad news is that the additional 300 calories are mostly lean protein and not cupcakes. Like last time, I'm gaining muscle so there's been a temporary weight gain, but inches are being lost in places and gained in others where the muscles are being used the most. So I'm not freaking out like I did last time the scales moved in the wrong direction, I know that soon my body will level out & I'll lose again. I'm quite a bit lighter than the last time, BMI is about 20% less, so it's not as painful as it was the last time either.

Hey, (hug) I have been EXACTLY where you're at & as hard as I worked no one else but me believed me. Even my doc thought that I wasn't being truthful. I wanted to strangle her scrawny little neck! What I found was a unique inner strength & it built my self esteem. The other thing I found out was that my body will not lose weight if I eat certain foods. I stalled and even gained weight eating grains & starchy food on a 1200 cal a day plus an hour a day workout plan. It was evil. Very evil.
Try this: avoid a certain food while maintaining a good pro-carb-fat ratio and stay in your same calorie range. Keep everything the same except adjust the types of foods for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. Try staying away from grain (rice, wheat, rye, barley, etc - including all things made with them, pasta, flour, breadings, all breads, etc) for 7 to 14 days and see if the scale moves. If no change then try eliminating another type of food. Since this discovery I've met others who have the same problem so here's a list of some of the other foods people said kept them from losing weight: nuts, dairy, red meat, grains, starchy food (potatoes, etc) sugar, sugar substitutes, fruits that are high on the glycemic index. There are probably more. It's weird, but maybe our bodies are just overly sensitive to one or more of these things. When I eat grains it's water weight gain if I just have a little of them since 3 days after I've eaten it the weight usually goes away, but I don't lose any actual weight for a while afterward - I'm totally stalled at that weight for a week or so, if I eat too much of it I will gain weight & it doesn't come off as if it's water. So maybe it's food allergies or food sensitivities or maybe just a curse. that some of us have. But anyways, do try it, it might just be the ticket for you, too.
Also I agree, be sure to measure yourself at least 1X a month. Last month I lost 4 inches in my hips and since I average 1 pound a week I must have lost all the weight on my hips (none of the other measurements changed. I mean our bodies are weird sometimes.) Instead of feeling that same frustration over working so hard and having so little gain (or loss rather) I was over the moon happy with the results. Keep your head up and shoulders back - you're learning what your body needs & what things work & don't work for you. It's a process, so hang tight, you can do it!
Thanks a bunch. I will try to weigh everything even though that is a pain lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.