Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 3/19... Who's In? :) >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 3/19... Who's In? :)

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 3/19... Who's In? :)

Old 03-23-2012, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Jho, you're welcome for the bit I posted on your question about complex carbs and stuff. Remember that fiber is a carbohydrate that minimally impacts blood sugar--that's why low carbers and people like me who manage blood sugar without medication can deduct our grams of fiber from total carbohydrates. It's why whole grains are better for us--more fiber. And excess carbs are stored as fat.

You may also want to look into the carb and fiber content of fruits and veggies you're eating. Apples and bananas are yummy, but way higher in total carbohydrates than melon (except watermelon) and berries:

Carbs have 4 calories per gram so the higher the carbs, the higher the calories

4 oz. banana= 101 calories, 25.9g total carbs 2.9g fiber
4 oz. apple= 59 calories, 15.7 total carbs, 2.7g fiber

4 oz. strawberries= 49 calories, 11.7 total carbs, 3g fiber--fewer calories, fewer total carbs, more fiber than bananas and apples
4 oz. cantaloupe= 39 calories 9.3g total carbs, 1g fiber
2 whole cups of broccoli cuts=60 calories, 8g total carbs, 4g fiber

Not that you should never enjoy a banana or apple--just giving you a couple examples of how eating more complex carbs does not mean adding more calories.

Hey, I had to learn a ton of stuff to learn how to manage carbs and I didn't learn it all overnight. I STILL have a lot to learn. But if we had all the answers, life would be boring, wouldn't it?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thoughts on protein

Jho and Ama, I am no expert on protein--I may have misled you in an earlier post. Your levels may not need to be as high as mine. I strive for 120g protein per day because I have to keep my net carbs low to successfully manage my blood sugar without meds and keep my saturated fat low to try to lower my high cholesterol without meds. The only thing left is protein, so I need a higher protein percentage to keep my carbs and sat fat lower.

I suspect others here who have their protein levels at 30% of total calories may be doing so because protein helps speed up metabolism and burn calories.

It's my understand that protein requirements depend on the individual. In a March 2012 article How Much Protein Do You Need? WebMD says "Adults in the U.S. are encouraged to get 10% to 35% of their day's calories from protein foods." That's quite a range! My blood tests show that my protein level is normal at 120 grams per day, but my doc says she thinks 100 grams per day is OK for me. I think the best bet for anyone is to NOT go by what someone else does, but to check with her doctor to see what's right for her.

Last edited by Mern; 03-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Cool Can I count? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6????

I need the Count. I lost track of my water today. I know that I drank at least 5 (16 oz) bottles. Just need to drink 4 oz yet & then I hit the 100 oz mark for sure. Never thought that I could reach 100 oz. I'd look at other people's 100 oz water goal & think . BUT it is possible.

I'll post full goals later - if not tonight, then by tomorrow night.
Upshot:
*Focus - goals met today.
*Intake - Water will be met. Caloric goal: Went above (within previous Caloric goal). Supplements taken. Ate clean as far as junk food goes.
*Train - Walked & did Circuit.

I'll make Sat/Sun goals a bit later and Mike can keep eye if he wishes.

Overall, I say I'm doing a bit better from yesterday's overexertion. I did something to my right knee today. Didn't notice it right at the time of exercise, but soon after. It's at the front of the knee & only when I move it. I try to be careful & exercise & stretch like I'm supposed to.

I'm thinking about adding in either Pilates or Yoga as part of my routine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mern ~ Glad to see you hanging in there with how your week has not been the best health wise. Ahhhh . . . I love to read your words of wisdom with the carbs & protein. I miss you when you're unable to post, but totally understand.

nobe ~ You're going thru a lot of changes, but it sounds as if it's for the better. I admire how you're sticking with your goals with all your life happening.

almeeker (Amy) ~ Thanks for your support with my lowering my Caloric goal. I'm not doing so good yet with that, but with practice, I'll make it . . . I think. Today I ate clean, but went above my goal. But then again it was within the old Caloric goal.

Tunnrida ~ You're doing wonderful with your exercise!
----
Jho82 ~ I love your avatar! Your family looks like loads of fun. I don't want to blow your bubble on no more holey pants/leggings, but my 1st grader still makes lots of holes in her pants/leggings. She loooooves horses and has gotten the gallop/trot down pat. She sounds just like a horse all day long. I tell you, if I'd do like her I'd lose weight fast.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'm doing better now with Tylenol & rest. I was able to walk outside this morning, but did it before the sunrise. It was nice & cool & quiet. Ever since I was young, my body does poorly in hot weather. Also, I'm so out of shape. That's why I'm here, right?
Wohoo! Exercise & logging are now becoming healthy habits with you.
---------
April ~ Take care! Sounds like you're having an extremely busy week.

Weightlossboo ~ Your green is growing by the day. Excellent! . . . HA! HA! I love your attitude, or what I call "batittude". FUN is one angle that I go for with my goals, and you sure know how to do that. Personalizing your fitness program is what it's all about.

Ama ~ Way to go at persisting with your health goals. I like how you acknowledge your weaknesses & strengths. . . . Husbands- Gotta love 'em, but sometimes they bring the temptations home with them. My dh buys healthy things, but then he'll bring the sweets & crunchy stuff.

myday ~ Yea for you!!! You're keeping on the fitness path. AND what a wonderful surprise to have your fiance with you! Whew! 3 months of being part. I'd say that's top priority.

Mike ~ Love your random acts of kindness. You're so awesome!

Kimbur ~ How's it going? About ready for you big dive? How about your fitness goals? I'm missing you!

I know there are other people - Pam? zxyst? Who else is not here? . .. Cassie? . ..

Last edited by fit4luv; 03-23-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Tori ~ Here's to you!

I miss ya! Hang in there kiddo. Today I saw your before & during pics up on the Success thread. You've done a lot of hard work!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fit4luv
I need the Count. I lost track of my water today. I know that I drank at least 5 (16 oz) bottles. Just need to drink 4 oz yet & then I hit the 100 oz mark for sure. Never thought that I could reach 100 oz. I'd look at other people's 100 oz water goal & think . BUT it is possible.

I'll post full goals later - if not tonight, then by tomorrow night.
Upshot:
*Focus - goals met today.
*Intake - Water will be met. Caloric goal: Went above (within previous Caloric goal). Supplements taken. Ate clean as far as junk food goes.
*Train - Walked & did Circuit.

I'll make Sat/Sun goals a bit later and Mike can keep eye if he wishes.

Overall, I say I'm doing a bit better from yesterday's overexertion. I did something to my right knee today. Didn't notice it right at the time of exercise, but soon after. It's at the front of the knee & only when I move it. I try to be careful & exercise & stretch like I'm supposed to.

I'm thinking about adding in either Pilates or Yoga as part of my routine.

Mike ~ Love your random acts of kindness. You're so awesome!

Kimbur ~ How's it going? About ready for you big dive? How about your fitness goals? I'm missing you!

I know there are other people - Pam? zxyst? Who else is not here? . .. Cassie? . ..
Great job on the water but you may want to check your math... unless they were 20 ounce bottles. There's still time to chug a bottle or 2. I'll be watching you this weekend! Thanks, I think next week I'll do two random acts of kindness next week, as suggested. Yeah, where is Kim and the rest of the gang?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
FitDay Member

Quit my job (I'm working Monday but that's it). You could cut the tension in there with a knife today. I had lunch with my old manager and I had thought she was trying to sue him for wrongful dismissal, but turns out she's not even at that point yet...she's going through Employment Standards to try to get the almost $5,000 she's owed in severance and vacation pay. The owner came in when I was working and made fun of me, and I thought, "F%&# it," and when he left I told the assistant manager I was done. Good luck running your stores when the people who know what they're doing are leaving one by one, buddy.

SO. Ate about a billion or so calories today, but had a delicious lunch. Quality chicken burger and fries and salad (which somehow makes it ok that it wasn't junky burger and fries?) but I never go out to eat so I'm not too mad.

Here goes...

1) 1,700 calories max/day - 2243, 1602, 1620, 1442, 2153
2) walk for 1 hour, lift weights for 1/2 hour every day except work days (I only work 2-3 days a week), but do it on work days too if I feel like it - no but worked, no but worked, walk 1hr/weights 1/2 hr, walk 1hr/weights 1/2 hr, walk 1/2 hr/worked
3) eat more protein, get up from 17% - 23%, 22%, 23%, 25%, 24%
4) 64oz water minimum - 48oz, absolutely no idea, 64oz, 64oz, 72oz
5) calorie deficit at least 500 - 284, 795, 699, 993, 277

Could be worse.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 PM
FitDay Member

Default Mike and whoever else wants to respond ~

Water - I chugged down 2 more (16 oz) + 4 oz. Just 'cause it doesn't hurt.

So what I figure is if I drink 3 (16 oz) in morning, 3 (16 oz) in afternoon and then minimum of 4 oz with eve bed routine that should take me to 100 oz.

Weekend Warrior
#1. Browse thru my few Pilates DVDs & choose one to follow.
#2. Do one Pilates DVD. {Definitely beginner's section(s)}

#3. Update my Weeks' goals Sat & Sun.
#4. Complete Laundry Loads (4 total)
#5. Do minimum 25 minute Deskwork.
#6. Collate paper. (We as a family do something called "The Bag". It's a weekend bag, related to the newspaper, that includes 1 little local paper & local business flyers/coupons).
#7. Clean House (3 hrs)

#8. Drink 100 oz water Sat & Sun.
#9. Report actual Calorie intake for Sat/Sun.

Outside -> Doubt I'll get to that this weekend due to thunderstorms & rain. Which woke me up just now.

Last edited by fit4luv; 03-25-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default Friday Report.

So yesterday was my birthday and I didn't completely throw everything out of the window, so I won't complain about the extra calories consumed. I was also pretty pleased with myself for only having a wee sliver of birthday cake, and a bowl of ice cream instead of the tub for the probably the first time in about 10 years.

Daily Goals:

Drink at least 2.5 litres of water Y, Y, Y, Y, N
No more than 2 slices of bread Y, Y, Y, Y, Y
At least 3 servings of fruit/veg Y/4, Y/5, Y/4, Y/3, Y/4
Eat breakfast within 1 hour of waking Y, Y, Y, Y, Y
Attend every booked fitness class, no cancelling! Y, Y, Y, Y, RD

Other Goals

Birthday Friday = Don't go overboard! Kinda
Walk 3 miles x3 over the week. 1/3
Don't weigh myself

I put aside the water for my one allowed bottle of Pepsi Max for the week sometime in the afternoon. Got in 1.5 litres of water before that.
It was my allocated rest day from the gym. I'm a bit concerned that because of my flu I won't get out for my 2 remaining walks over the weekend. My nose is like a tap at the moment and I have a dry, tickly cough which is driving me nuts!!!! But if I don't I won't throw them out, I'll carry them over to next week!
Still haven't weighed myself! The first of every month is weight and measurements day. And I don't keep a set of scales at home so the temptation is minimal!

On a lighter, more personal note OH and I are paying the last bit off our holiday today! 2 weeks on the glorious island of Zante (Greece) in September. It cannot come quick enough!!!

Thanks for the supportive messages. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, whatever you're doing - or trying not to eat! xxx
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 PM
FitDay Member

Boo, I'm so sorry. I had your birthday written down on my list and I forgot to LOOK at my list!

Congrats on an excellent week and on an exceptionally well done job on your birthday!

I hope the promise of that upcoming holiday in Greece gives you some soothing thoughts during your bout with the flu! Big, gentle get well hug to ya!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM
FitDay Member

Luv--100 oz! So did ya pee the bed last night? LOL Congrats on well done food goal achievements and a big ouchie on your knee injury. Feel better soon! Sometimes those injuries do sneak up on us--I've had that where I wondered how I did something without noticing. Maybe that's why I don't appreciate the burn/soreness of exercise like some do--I'm afraid at my age of overexerting myself and with grandkids to take care of, I don't have time to be debilitated. Thanks for your kind words. I'm feeling pretty darned good now. Praise God for the rain that washed a good bit of my spring allergens out of the air. I don't know how wise I am about carbs and protein. I just know what works for me and hope that something I do will help someone else figure out what works for them. I know my way isn't the only way to do something right.

Nobe, I totally understand where you're coming from on quitting your job. I hope you continue to remain at peace with your decision. An occasional off-track lunch is perfectly OK--I think the grease from fries cancels out work frustration, doesn't it? Just kidding, you had a deficit, water, exercise, so you're OK. Great job and I'm NOT kidding about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.