Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 3/19... Who's In? :)

Old 03-23-2012, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Just had time to skim. Kudos to all who are doing well and big hugs to those of you who are struggling.

We had some rain which helped settle some of the pollen. I actually have my windows open right now and my allergy symptoms are now tamed by the Clariton, Netti Pot and OTC headache meds.

Amy, thanks for your kind words and suggestions. I am feeling way better today after taking the whole day off yesterday from driving the grandkids around. Staying indoors with all the windows closed is a good home remedy, but I can't always do that. I've been on OTC meds that doc recommended for my allergies and have used my Neti Pot for the past five days with the packets of saline powder. It does help temporarily just as the saline spray does, but the Netti Pot does a more thorough job with longer lasting results. I went ahead on my own and got some headache meds today (to add to the generic Clariton) and that the pharmacist at Walmart said can be taken with Clariton. Frankly, I'm to the point where I don't care whether my doc approves of them or not--it's dulling the pain enough that if I get busy I don't even think about my five freakin' day old headache. It's not like I'll be taking them on a daily basis. I just won't take them before a blood test.

I'm against medication in the form rest-of-your-life, daily maintenance drugs (like for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar) only when it's used in the cases where lifestyle changes are all that's necessary or when I've checked into and am unwilling to accept the risks of possible side effects of any specific medications.

Mydaywillcome, welcome! Thanks for sharing your story! Best wishes and huge hug to ya!

Luv, thanks for your kind wishes and for explaining your watching how much tea you drink (potty trips like me. LOL). I got that averaging idea on some goals from Cassie and it helped me a lot--makes sense for me to not be so rigid about things that don't require rigitity.

Cassie, I miss you!

Mike, treat yourself and throw out that bad jar of NM peanut butter. LOL Thanks for passing alone the message from Tori.

Tori, if you're reading this, big hug to ya! We'll be looking forward to your return.

April, no, I didn't take your explanation about non-disclosure as lying in your house as criticism of me at all. Hey, we're good, girlfriend. Big hug to ya!

Nobe, thanks for your kind wishes. I am feeling much better today. Also thanks for understanding about those pesky carb binges I fall into occasionally. Oh, your boss is a slime bucket!

Last edited by Mern; 03-23-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

Its been suggested to me that I should try to increase my "complex carbs" but also to watch my carbs % as it seems a bit on the high side.... How do I do this? Wouldn't complex carbs just increase my calorie intake? Does anyone have any ideas or advice?? Take a look at my log and let me know what you think...

Jho82 - free online diet and fitness journal

Mern - glad you are feeling better for now!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Amy, your bro certainly does sound like a eye candy. LOL on your other bro looking a bit like Larry the Cable Guy. Brian Wilson was my favorite after Dennis drowned. Hmm, seems like I had a Cinderella record player at one time.

Jho, so glad you posted about your frozen muffin omelets turning out good. Heck, I'll try that, then. Thanks for telling that you reheated it for 1.5 minutes. Helps to know that, so we don't overheat and they come out rubbery. I love your pic with the kids. Kudos on your water and exercise.

HardcaorKittyGirl, there ya go. I just knew you'd be able to find a way to enjoy a bit of ribs at your friend's and still have a sensible dinner or at least a very controlled cheat. I don't get spring break just because I babysit my grandkids, so I have MORE work during their spring break. LOL
Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

Jho, what I'm seeing in your food logs that jumps out at me is that your protein levels are very low. 24.3g, 73.4g, 52g in recent days in March. Many of us strive for around 30% of total calories from proten. Our calories only come from three sources: fat, carbohydrates and protein. If your protein percentage is really low as yours (I only looked at several recent days in March) that means your carbs and/or fat % will be higher. Find out what a better level of protein for you is.

Also, it doesn't look like you get most of your carbs from veggies. The lower carb veggies are also lower in calories than starchy veggies such as potatoes, corn, lima beans, etc. Be sure you're getting in a whole bunch of veggies.

You can keep your calories the same by just getting switching around the sources.

Here's a resource that may help

you.List Of Complex Carbohydrates Foods | LIVESTRONG.COM

I hope that helps you a bit.

Last edited by Mern; 03-23-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM
FitDay Member

Location: Born in Deutschland Now I reside in the East Coast of the USA
Thumbs up Many thanks

Good late afternoon everyone!

Thank you for all of your support. I'm glad to be part of the group. I did as I am pleased to say, eat a whole wheat tomato sandwich today and 6oz of Chobani Yogurt. That's the most I've eaten in a few weeks. Taking a break from working out today though d: my fiancee surprised me and came home from 3 months of being apart about 5 minutes ago.

Going out to see him ASAP. I'll skim everything when I get back home(:

Danke<3
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

Mern – Totally with you on the meds philosophy! I steer clear any prescription meds, besides the occasional antibiotic. The info you sent on % protein per day is great. I need to start paying attention!

Jho- Cute pix of you and the kids! I would put one up if I knew how… do you need a paid subscription to do that? I am on the free sign-up, but may lack some of the options…

Katy – I am glad to hear that you are doing better and that you ate that tomato sandwich and had some yogurt! Have a wonderful time with your fiancée at home.

HCK Girl – I weigh in every am before food/coffee. But I usually skip the weigh-ins after a free day or a night out with friends when I wasn’t being particularly good about my cals. I hit the scale at least 4x a week though. It is during those extended times away from the scale that the lbs start sneaking up on me without even knowing it.

Boo – Nice work with all the green! Fri-Sun is also my hardest time – lots more socializing and eating out and; therefore difficult to stay on track. Way to go this week so far! Hope you are over the flu by now.

Hope – Your daughter is in a play, how fun! Don’t beat yourself up over the McD’s, 3x a year is a heck of a good track record for fast food! Regarding the pizza I know how you feel - I am constantly tempted by food my Hubby brings home. He is not a stasher which sucks. As I am typing this there is a pkg of Andes mints and a Hershey chocolate bar sitting next to the computer, and first thing I see when opening the fridge is a 6 pack of cola… fume…

Mike – I wish I had a big brother like you. Nice random act of kindness! I am totally getting back on track with my vitamins

Luv – I wish I had a big sister like you. I love the no-no smiley face. Yes, I have been into junk food… I am looking forward to my Hubby going back to work next week (he has been off for Spring Break) so I won’t be constantly tempted by his eating habits. I actually had cereal after 8:30 last night because he was holding the bowl out to me asking “want some?”

Nobe – I hope all went well with the job (or former job?). Working for a giant racist must have been a nightmare! It is always hard to leave behind the good people though. Best of luck to you and your co-workers. Great job with all the green! You really kicked it this week!

April – Lots of green this week! Great job! I hope you are having a great week!

Amy – Speaking of ice cream my Hubby walked by the drumsticks at the grocery and said to me “Calories? Take me home with you, I have no calories…” grrr…

Mai – Great job fitting your dinner to your goal! I pre-log when I can, but it can be tough. Big weekend challenge - Dinner with friends both Sat and Sun nights. I can control the menu for Saturday night so I can fit it into my goals, but Sunday will be a surprise and I lack willpower when it comes to surprises!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Katy, that's awesome news!!

Ama, my random acts of kindness have been few and far between. I need to be better at it.

Well today I screwed up. I left work early, only having in 2 auto policies for the week. Nice premiums though because I think it was a total of 7 cars between them.Which premium is what I'm really after to make up for that bonus. I know I shouldn't have left early, I blame it on my ADD. Wednesday and Thursday we had torrential rain storms (Tori, if you're reading this... I did not blame it on the rain so I spent the past 2 1/2 hours working in the yard.

So here I am, it's after 7pm and I'm at 658 calories for the day!!! I'm filthy, I'm thirsty, I'm hungry and guess what... my back is KILLING ME. I actually feel like I could have a beer, but that ain't happening because can you guess what I won't blame it on ????
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by amalthea1892
Mern – Totally with you on the meds philosophy! I steer clear any prescription meds, besides the occasional antibiotic. The info you sent on % protein per day is great. I need to start paying attention!

Jho- Cute pix of you and the kids! I would put one up if I knew how… do you need a paid subscription to do that? I am on the free sign-up, but may lack some of the options…
I'm on the free signup too! I just found it today LOL if you go under your private messages (should be on the top right of this page under your name and the last you visited). So when it takes you to your inbox page you will see a list on the left side that has a list of options. I found that if you create an Avatar the pic will show up.... you will see that there is a profile pic option too but it didn't show up when I put that one in - only the Avatar option! Hope that helps!!

And thanks for taking a look Mern - I really appreciate the feedback! I think I feel some new goals coming on for next week!!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Katy, that's awesome news!!

Ama, my random acts of kindness have been few and far between. I need to be better at it.

Well today I screwed up. I left work early, only having in 2 auto policies for the week. Nice premiums though because I think it was a total of 7 cars between them.Which premium is what I'm really after to make up for that bonus. I know I shouldn't have left early, I blame it on my ADD. Wednesday and Thursday we had torrential rain storms (Tori, if you're reading this... I did not blame it on the rain so I spent the past 2 1/2 hours working in the yard.

So here I am, it's after 7pm and I'm at 658 calories for the day!!! I'm filthy, I'm thirsty, I'm hungry and guess what... my back is KILLING ME. I actually feel like I could have a beer, but that ain't happening because can you guess what I won't blame it on ????

Ooooo thats a toughie! mmmmmm alcohol! And how hard is it to do a random act of kindness Mike!! You must not be a very nice person lol! I think you should double that goal for next week!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jho82
Ooooo thats a toughie! mmmmmm alcohol! And how hard is it to do a random act of kindness Mike!! You must not be a very nice person lol! I think you should double that goal for next week!
That not to say that I don't do nice things, just not too random. I help people all the time at work but never count that. Today found some random client (not my client) called her, reviewed her homeowners insurance and discovered that I could add an endorsement to her policy that INCREASED the coverage WHILE LOWERING her premium... and didn't sell her a thing. Didn't know her, just reached out to help her and didn't make a nickel. The first guy I wrote this week, I saved him $3700, dude sounded like he was about to cry on the phone.

I did have a huge random act of kindness happen to me this week!!! I was at a wedding Saturday and a friend asked if I've boiled any crawfish lately. I told him I'm boiling 800 pounds to benefit the Hospice Foundation. He had one of his reps get me a 120 quart stainless steel pot, burner and a paddle. It's probably about a $250-$300 setup. So this year I think I'll have 5 pots going! Wooowhoo.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.