Notices

Dry scalp HELP!

Old 03-24-2010, 01:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Dry scalp HELP!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced their scalp being really dry, itchy, and dandruffy? UGH! It's so gross! lol I have read that too little fat in your diet can cause dry skin, scalp, etc, but I've been keeping my fat % between 20 and 25 pretty much everyday.

I've put tea tree oil in my shampoo and it helped for awhile but it seems like it has come back full force!

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would definitely appreciate it!!

Thank you!

Alyssa
Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

I would like to comment based on my experiences... I'm definitely not a nutritionist!!

The type of fat can play a big part in dry skin. Omega 3/6/9 are the best. Polyunsaturated fat is the worst. I used to eat a lot of fat and when I started taking Omega 3/6 supplements my skin and hair got a lot better.

Tee tree oil can make it worse. It does not moisturize at all. I used to use it on my face and it wreaked havoc on my skin after an initial improvement. Your skin needs natural oils to stay healthy.

You could also have another issue causing the dandruff, have you seen your doctor? My son has cradle cap (at 4 years old), I think it is a type of fungus or infection - but someone else might be able to tell you exactly what it is, and we massage olive oil onto his head before washing his hair every few months and it seems to keep it at bay. His dandruff gets really bad if we don't do this.

How often do you wash your hair? I would suggest that hair only needs to be washed every 2 or 3 days so that the oils can keep everything moisturized.

I hope this gives you a few ideas. It may not be your diet at all, but it's a good place to start!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

I'd agree, omega-3's can do wonders for hair and skin. Also, if it continues, mention it to your doctor. Sometimes it can be a sign of thyroid or other metabolic issues. Could be psoriasis too, which is going to need different treatment than plain dandruff would.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Wylie! I've tried olive oil before also. My daughter and I actually got headlice from some relatives who didn't think it was necessary to let us know it was going around and we used olive oil every 3 days to treat that. It really didn't seem to help the flakiness for me though, but it may be worth another shot.

I tried the tea tree oil because I read online that it would help because it is a natural antiseptic. I also noticed that if I go a day without washing, it actually makes it more itchy! Which made me think it wasn't an issue of dryness...I don't know, it's getting so frustrating!

I'm going to try the omega supplements you suggested though, it definitely can't hurt at this point! lol And if this doesn't help, I'm definitely ready to talk to a dermatologist about it!

Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Lizzy, I did just have my thyroid checked, thinking it was possibly the reason I had gained 30 pounds in less than a year...but, it turned out everything on there was good, just bad choices in food! lol
I didn't think about psoriasis, so thanks for that suggestion!

Alyssa
Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Omega 3/6 eh? Good to know. I've been having similar issues, but at the same time also having difficulty getting my hair clean after all those workouts. I've had to change to a "Sport cleanse and mend" shampoo, and even that doesn't always do the job. So I was sort of wondering if the extra shampooing was causing the issue, but maybe not.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

almeeker...I'm in Michigan too...maybe its our ridiculous weather changes! lol
Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mirage59
almeeker...I'm in Michigan too...maybe its our ridiculous weather changes! lol
I always say if you don't like the weather here in Michigan, just give it a minute...
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM
FitDay Member

Well whaddaya know? I'm in Michigan too
Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 PM
FitDay Member

Omg, I use to suffer, and I mean SUFFER, from dry, extremely itchy scalp. I started using TGel from Neutrogena about 6 months ago and it worked wonders for me. My scalp has never been healthier and my hair has been growing in nicely. I also use Coconut Oil and Olive Oil to moisturize my scalp. I also wash my scalp at leats once a week. A dirty scalp is an itchy scalp. Lol. Duh. I hope this helps you and good luck!