Notices

colon health

Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Angry colon health

Hi, newbie here.
I just had my first colonoscopy (baseline at 50) . I was SURE that it would be clean and with no complications whatsoever. I do not meet any of the risk factors for colon issues. I eat very health consciously, mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, very little meat. I have even recently tried to cut out/down on wheat products and dairy and feel better for it. However, my colonoscopy revealed two very small polyps, which the doctor removed, and a bit of diverticulosis. I was shocked! They said it was "normal" and I have to wait for the pathology report, but I don't get it. Now, for the next two weeks I have to eat low fiber, soft (and mostly processed) food! Has anyone else had this experience and do you have any advice? Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hi ive been thinking myself of going to the doctors about my bowels. I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago when i was at my biggest. I had examinations etc because i noticed blood.
Since losing my weight and completely changing my lifestyle and diet to a healthy one i still have problems when going and ask myself why.
The past couple of months though it just feels like- how can i put this- it feels like its sgot really narrow down there and when i feel like im trying to pass something that i struggle its only something quite small.
Ive not heard of polyps or diverticulosis. Sorry i cant give you any advice on the matter but i do understand the frustration when we are eating the right things for our bodies. Well done on going to the gp too- these things can be embarrassing to talk about and face up to when it comes to intrusive tests.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Red face

My family tree is filled with cases of colon cancer, so I always worry about it. I recently had a colonoscopy and nothing was found. I worry about diet, too. I think you're doing the right thing eating more fruits and vegetables and less meat. I think oatmeal and whole grains are helpful, too.

The doctor who did the procedure should be able to tell you a LOT about the influences and meaning of everything that is found in the colon and digestive tract. Did you talk to him about your concerns, and your diet? Do you exercise on a regular basis, just in moderation?

No matter how much I do, I know a lot is still genetic predispositions to certain illnesses. One positive thing about finding the polyps is that your doctor will watch you more closely. The home tests for fecal blood are very helpful and easy to do. One way to look at a test result is - OMG, they found something, that's BAD! Another way to look at it is - OMG, they found something, thank God, now they will be watchful and catch things early!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy

Thanks Kathy. I'm sure you're right , that I should be happy that they found something small and removed it, but I can''t help but wonder why. I suppose it could just be heredity, I've never asked my family members about their colons!
There is a lot of cancer in my family, but no colon cancer that I am aware of. Like I said, I do not 'fit the profile' for colon issues, so I was unerved to have anything found that is remotely a possible problem. Mind you, I haven't even gotten the pathology report, so I'm definitely wasting time worrying, but considering that I do everything that they say to do to prevent colon issues, I don't know what else I can do. I could exercise more regularly, but I am not a sedentary person. Rarely ever sit. Always doing something. And, I run like "clockwork" if you know what I mean! Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else had these same issues and what their outcome was. Thanks again for your input. I will try to see' the glass as half full'.