Notices

Why don't people like this answer?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
FitDay Member

Luv, I am not a numbers person either. But as Vito said, it is helpful to look at the micronutrients and see what you are getting and what you are lacking. I also think Luv's questions, what are people really asking? What are they really saying? are good ones. Maybe people are saying I wish I could do it too but I don't know how or I am afraid I can't.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
FitDay Member

Luv, I would never say that someone is lazy when they are doing what needs to be done. YOU are doing those things. I'm talking solely about the people who ask and want to know, yet they don't want to take the steps to see results. The girl at work who is constantly asking me 'how I'm doing it', I've explained numerous times that all I'm doing is counting calories, making healthier choices, and working out. She's made her "I'm too stupid to do that" comment no less than 15 times in the past 4 months. I've explained to her 13 out of those 15 times that, while I CAN add it all together myself, I use FD to do it for me because it's easier. I mean seriously, she could log her food and activities while she's watching TV every night, she just chooses not to. It's THOSE type of people who irritatae me. If you don't want to know what I'm really doing, then don't ask.

On the other hand, I had one of my vendors ask me Monday afternoon, and he took down the information that I gave him. HE was open to at least "trying".
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hope ~ Oh dear! I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I didn't take it that you were calling people lazy.

I see Vito's point about watching micro/macro nutrients. I think that's one of the uniqueness of having a tool like FitDay. WW or other programs don't do this very well if at all.
----------------------

Tori, I thought this thread in general was taking on the tone of - Because you don't count calories, you therefore must not be taking charge of your life and are lazy. Oh the blessing of listening to tone on the internet! I think of myself tracking calories as I train myself to have certain amount of servings in each food category.

I get it that there's an irritating quality when someone asks repeatedly for help, but doesn't bite. Looks like I may have missed the bigger picture of what you said & keyed in on the minute detail.

Sounds like that co-worker of yours approaches life with negative thoughts and thus her approach with weight loss. I agree: This would be a case where when it comes down to it, you gave specific possible tools to use, made it feasible - either she reaches out & accepts it . . .or not. So now it's up to her to take the next step.

I was up early this morning. I hope this post makes sense.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
FitDay Member

Default People want weight loss to be complicated

If it was easy what excuse would be left? Since I use fitday and another site called shrinkyourself(which deals with the emotional aspects of weight and emotional eating) I offer the web info. Most people don't want to hear that counting calories and exercising, plus healthier food choices will lead to weight loss. It is so easy and yet too hard. I know, I had been over 300 lbs for 40 years, "trying" everything but not "doing" what needed to be done, daily.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by happy4286
People don't understand about calories I guess, it strange to anyone who has a brain why they would respond in that manner. I don't see what hard about counting your calories, if anything this is a simple way to lose weight and you can control how fast you lose weight as well. I guess lipo suction is easier but then you have the risk of dying. So the cons out weight the pros in my mind on this matter. Sorry that they were so negative about what you are doing, it's great that your losing weight, keep it up
Thanks You have a good point that liposuction is dangerous. Also I don't think it can be used to make a fat person thin. I thought only small amounts could be taken in one go.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
I have hypoglycemia. I feel severe pain in my stomach when I don't eat. If I wait too long to eat, I wind up eating three times as much to "catch up" it seems. I would be curious to hear the kind of foods you eat that you find helpful.
Honestly? Most people wont' like this answer but back when I was having issues with that problem the best foods that kept me from getting hungry again quickly were high fat foods like cheese, fried eggs, fatty meat, etc. You know, they don't call those foods "stick to your ribs" for nothing. They delay hunger.

Now that I'm trying to limit that kind of thing I go for high protein and high fiber foods like tuna sandwiches on whole grain bread. My eggs are boiled now too. A tuna sandwich (I don't use mayo, just the fish) with a couple of boiled eggs keeps me going for a while now. Sometimes fat still helps me not to feel as hungry but I get it in reasonable portions like 90 calorie Barney Butter snack packs.

I don't really have the problem that I used to have. Sometimes I can feel a little bit off after very heavy exercise but for the most part I can be hungry without trembling or an acid stomach now.

I know what you mean about after having one of those incidents needing to gorge to feel normal.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
But as Vito said, it is helpful to look at the micronutrients and see what you are getting and what you are lacking.
If I recall correctly, you and I have discussed Magnesium before. It's a KEY nutrient for energy etc. And it's not present in "many" multivitamins:

Magnesium: Few multivitamin supplements contain more than 100 mg. Because magnesium is plentiful in foods, eating a varied diet that provides green vegetables and whole grains daily should provide the rest of the RDA for magnesium (310-420 mg/day).
this according to LINUS PAULING INSTITUTE RESEARCH REPORT.

What to Look for in a Multivitamin Supplement

So in effect, WW is ASSUMING that people are getting enough Magnesium in their diets IF indeed they at least recommend a multi to their clients. But does anyone know for SURE how much they are getting? No. Considering that low Magnesium is LINKED TO HEART ATTACKS, isn't it wise to know for sure? Yes!

In my opinion, this is a major flaw in WW.

Sorry about hijacking the thread, Rubystars, but this was extremely important information to get out.

Last edited by VitoVino; 03-10-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bluebonbon
If it was easy what excuse would be left? Since I use fitday and another site called shrinkyourself(which deals with the emotional aspects of weight and emotional eating) I offer the web info. Most people don't want to hear that counting calories and exercising, plus healthier food choices will lead to weight loss. It is so easy and yet too hard. I know, I had been over 300 lbs for 40 years, "trying" everything but not "doing" what needed to be done, daily.
I agree with what I bolded in your statement. Simple solution, but challenging for the heart/mind to admit the problem & to follow thru. And then, why do some people have difficulty with maintaining? As long as we have internet access, I plan to stick around here for a long time. This is working for me as long as I'm honest with myself & others on this site.

Last edited by fit4luv; 03-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
If I recall correctly, you and I have discussed Magnesium before. It's a KEY nutrient for energy etc. And it's not present in "many" multivitamins:

this according to LINUS PAULING INSTITUTE RESEARCH REPORT.

What to Look for in a Multivitamin Supplement

So in effect, WW is ASSUMING that people are getting enough Magnesium in their diets IF indeed they at least recommend a multi to their clients. But does anyone know for SURE how much they are getting? No. Considering that low Magnesium is LINKED TO HEART ATTACKS, isn't it wise to know for sure? Yes!

In my opinion, this is a major flaw in WW.
OK - I just had to go look at my MV. Mine has magnesium! Yipppee & Yea!!!

People really don't know what they are putting in their bodies unless they log in their food, like on FitDay, right? Is that the crux of what you're saying?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

If it's something complicated, people have an excuse not to do it.

If it's easy and you choose not to, there's no excuse and you have to take a long, hard look at yourself and ask why you aren't doing it.

It's hard to take that long, hard look sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.