FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Are my supressed memories making me eat this way? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/6723-my-supressed-memories-making-me-eat-way.html)

BRBare617 02-21-2012 05:26 AM

Are my supressed memories making me eat this way?

When I joined FitDay last October I was not at my best, I’d just gone through major surgery after spending many months in agonising pain and was at my largest weight of 176lb. Since then I’m glad to say that I have lost 17lb and am at a healthy weight (although I would like to lose 20lbs more) yet I feel very saddened that I still haven’t addressed my dire relationship with food. I’ve been bulimic since I was fourteen, and although I have a better grasp on it now I am never at peace with food. It does feel like I’m fighting a war that I keep losing over and over again, eating normally seems out of the question and I often find myself either starving myself or eating with no control.
In the last two weeks I’ve lost a stone and gone down to a UK size 8 (US 6), which in itself is great. I’ve been on the Cambridge diet so that I’m not completely starving myself. But tomorrow is the first day I will be eating food for breakfast and I’m really scared it will get out of control, like today. Unfortunately I majorly slipped today and ate five cereal bars, a large mug of hot chocolate, fruit bread, butter and a biscuit (which is a lot smaller than a normal binge for me but it is a lot of carbs) I’m very worried that I’ll gain back all the weight in a moment of weakness like this and am determined not to let it happen again. Does anyone have any tips for stopping binging?
My mother is going through therapy at the moment for her weight/eating issues. Like me she has a bad relationship with food which she relates to her childhood. When my Bulimia was discovered by the school I was at they put me into therapy but I left because I found it too unpleasant, however I wonder whether my issues would have been resolved if I had stuck with it. I do feel like there are many underlying issues and in a way I just want closure but am at a loss. Has anyone here had therapy for eating problems? Does it work?

Rubystars 02-21-2012 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by BRBare617 (Post 73530)
When I joined FitDay last October I was not at my best, I’d just gone through major surgery after spending many months in agonising pain and was at my largest weight of 176lb. Since then I’m glad to say that I have lost 17lb and am at a healthy weight (although I would like to lose 20lbs more) yet I feel very saddened that I still haven’t addressed my dire relationship with food. I’ve been bulimic since I was fourteen, and although I have a better grasp on it now I am never at peace with food. It does feel like I’m fighting a war that I keep losing over and over again, eating normally seems out of the question and I often find myself either starving myself or eating with no control.
In the last two weeks I’ve lost a stone and gone down to a UK size 8 (US 6), which in itself is great. I’ve been on the Cambridge diet so that I’m not completely starving myself. But tomorrow is the first day I will be eating food for breakfast and I’m really scared it will get out of control, like today. Unfortunately I majorly slipped today and ate five cereal bars, a large mug of hot chocolate, fruit bread, butter and a biscuit (which is a lot smaller than a normal binge for me but it is a lot of carbs) I’m very worried that I’ll gain back all the weight in a moment of weakness like this and am determined not to let it happen again.

One moment of weakness won't make you fat, and remember it's normal for people's weight to fluctuate a bit from week to week. So if you gain a few pounds one week, the calories will probably even out so you can lose them again the next week.

If you need to, just track your calories over the course of a week and see if you can't get it to average out to about 14000/week or whatever your particular needs are based on activity level, etc.

Does anyone have any tips for stopping binging?
I think the important thing is to understand why you binge. Then you can work on stopping it. Is it emotional?

My mother is going through therapy at the moment for her weight/eating issues. Like me she has a bad relationship with food which she relates to her childhood. When my Bulimia was discovered by the school I was at they put me into therapy but I left because I found it too unpleasant, however I wonder whether my issues would have been resolved if I had stuck with it. I do feel like there are many underlying issues and in a way I just want closure but am at a loss. Has anyone here had therapy for eating problems? Does it work?
Maybe you can try therapy again but find a different psychologist/counselor that maybe will have different treatment options for you.

tazigirl 02-28-2012 10:26 AM

As long as you are healthy dont worry about the little binges here and there. Just keep your self healthy, sorry about your break up. Maybe there's something better out there that you would of never found being in that relationship

goddessrenee 03-12-2012 01:18 PM

Emotions play a huge role in our habits, especially eating. The problem isn't the food honey. Have you ever questioned the thoughts you have around these emotional times that you call binging? My best advice for you is to start questioning your beliefs that encourage your choices. Being aware of exactly what you believe and how you've trained yourself to respond may be the starting point to the answer. At 55 yrs old I can honestly say that our thoughts are not necessary providing us with the truth. Just because you feel an emotion does not mean you should act on it by abusing your body. The reasons why you chose to behave in any way is not nearly as important as questioning if your beliefs are really 100% true even. We are all creatures of habit. If you ask you'll find many members here who have overcome their old behaviors and are now able to move past them. I send big hugs and hope this for you as well.

frenchhen3 03-12-2012 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BRBare617 (Post 73530)
In the last two weeks I’ve lost a stone and gone down to a UK size 8 (US 6), which in itself is great. I’ve been on the Cambridge diet so that I’m not completely starving myself. But tomorrow is the first day I will be eating food for breakfast and I’m really scared it will get out of control, like today. Unfortunately I majorly slipped today and ate five cereal bars, a large mug of hot chocolate, fruit bread, butter and a biscuit (which is a lot smaller than a normal binge for me but it is a lot of carbs) I’m very worried that I’ll gain back all the weight in a moment of weakness like this and am determined not to let it happen again. Does anyone have any tips for stopping binging?

I think with the right therapist, one who works with eating disorders, you should be able to sort out, attain closure, get under and ahead of it all.