FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7-Day Motivational Thread starting 2/13/12 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/6660-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-2-13-12-a.html)

01gt4.6 02-12-2012 03:50 PM

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 2/13/12

I know I'm a little early to the party. It's been so hectic that I wanted to make sure I got off to a good start.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...46/bigbird.jpg

Goals for the week:

0 eating past bed time
1 gallon of water/day
2 pounds
3 heavy lifting sessions
4 policies
5 servings of fruit/veggies
6 miles
7 days of logging and posting goals

Terri, I expect you to be dolled up this week.
Quinn, I'd like for you to check in and join me on the wagon (if you can).
Kim, I'd like to see some pics and vids from your trip.
mh, I need you to stick around all week.
Tori, You need to stay out of OPP (Orleans Parish Prison while in NOLA)
Amy, I want to see you up it to 128oz. of water. If I can do a gallon, so can you!
Pam, Your race is over, congrats. I hope to see you back this week.
Julie, I want you to hit your step goal. You can do it!
Mern, I don't care if you brown bag it just no bags over your head this week.
Cassie, Card for pediatrician... THIS week.
Ashlie, I'd like to see you here for 7 days and join the weekend warriors.
Kay, Same as Ashlie... 7 days hun, you got this!
Luv, I wanna see you hit that moon that you're shooting for.
Darlene, I want you to back the squats down from 5 days. At least one day of rest for your legs between squat days.
Mea, Weekend warrior for you.
April, Keep doin' what cha doin'.
Julie, 7 days for you. Rock it this weekend!
Lizzie, Did I miss your goals last week?
Joanna, I want to see some obtainable goals for you.

Did I miss anyone?

ToriD1012 02-12-2012 04:14 PM

mmmaannn, I wanted to start the next week's thread. oh well, means I can sleep in in the mornin!! And I am ALL OVER not going to prison! This week that is....next week, might be iffy!!

My actual goals for the week....

Health/Fitness
1--Walk M W Th--can't Friday cause we're leaving
2--drink some more water, woman cannot live by diet mountain dew alone
3--get at least 3 good work outs in before leaving
4--weight loss? I'll try!!

Life
1--make sure all clothes are washed and ready to pack by Wednesday
2--run by Wally World and pick up new eye glass case
3--spend some quality time with Jassie. Bless her little kitty heart, her momma is leavin her for a week
4--pack no later than Thursday night
5--DO NOT GO TO JAIL

01gt4.6 02-12-2012 04:19 PM

Saturday and Sunday are still this week. ;)

RunbikeSki 02-12-2012 05:14 PM

Thanks Mike for getting things rolling, even if it is 3 hours early. I guess you just had to be first in line :rolleyes:.

I'll be checking in until Wed then AWOL for a week and a half. Off to Montana for cross country skiing via Portland. We are taking the train from LA to Portland, staying with friends for a couple of days, then the train from Portland to Glaciar National Park for 4 days and the back.

Tori, I didn't get around to mentioning earlier that I think your plan to move back home for a while is totally on track. It seems like a win-win for you and your parents.

Cassie, I too struggle with throwing perfectly good food out. The number of people who do not have enough to eat upsets me tremendously. But at some point I have to remind myself that keeping my belly full won't help those without enough to eat. And overeating will ultimately only hurt me.

To everyone who responded to my quandry about my over weight co-worker, thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. I think that when I get back I will invite her to stroll up to the local shopping center for lunch. I know she usually drives but it is only 3 blocks away. There are lots of choices there, good and bad. My favorite, however, is a wonderful grocery store with a salad bar, a deli with lots of good selections, and a sandwich bar that I rarely take advantage of, but it is tons better that the Carls Jr. next door. Maybe a walk up then we can go our separate ways for food, and a walk back.

I will try to check in a time or 2 before I leave (no cell phone reception, let alone internet there:eek:)

Kay_in_PA 02-12-2012 11:36 PM

Last week kind of fell apart, but this is a new week, and I'm in, but with some revised goals. Fortunately I did manage to lose .5 pound last week although I have no idea how. But let's not dwell on last week.

My goals:

My goals:
-Keep carbs, fat and protein at 40/30/30.

-Plan and prepare ahead so I don't come home at 5:00 having no idea what I'm doing for dinner.

-Lose 1 pound.

-Walk 3 times this week.

-Strength train with kettlebells at least 2x

- Take vitamins and supplements daily

- Get to bed by midnight

- No caffeine after dinner.

- Check in daily.

ToriD1012 02-13-2012 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 72782)
Saturday and Sunday are still this week. ;)

oh yyyeeeahhhhhh

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 72802)
I considered putting the sleep goal in again, but I noticed something and wondered if this happens to anyone else. I feel better-rested and more alert after sleeping 6 hours than 7...but always heard that "at least 7" is the optimal level for health and turning off the production of cortisol...anyone know anything about this??

I don't know any science behind it, but I asked my doctor once how much sleep I should be getting and he said anywhere from 4-8 hours a night. Everyone is different. I know that I function best on 5-6. Anything more or less than that and I feel zombie-ish the next day. I say, whatever works for you STICK WITH IT!

aspikes 02-13-2012 12:59 AM

New Week

Yes, yes, we are all off to a new week. My week got derailed about Wednesday, I didn't even have the guts to post after that! Im a wuss! Stress got me, I've eaten everything in sight and chewed my nails down to a sore, mangled mess... UGH

Fitness goals:
> 1400 calories daily
2 tervis water
NO NAIL BITING
45 minutes activity with kids
Zumba twice!!!

Non fitness goals:
kids sale entry
1 load laundry per day
clean 1 room per day
car washed/cleaned out

I've really got to get motivated and get some stuff done, when I eat crap, I feel like crap, so nothing gets done!!! Good luck to all!

ToriD1012 02-13-2012 01:06 AM

I'm not starting the day very well. I went to bed last night with the beginnigs of a migrane. I woke up this morning feeling a little better, but the head still hurts pretty bad. I didn't manage a huge loss last week, 0.6 lbs. :o. But at least it wasn't a gain. Gonna have to work extra hard this week, cause who knows what next week will hold. Speaking of next week, Mike, we haven't ironed out all the details on the bet. What do I get when I win????

I'm going to try and have a good Monday at work. But it's not starting out too good. The main printer is broken and my 1982 printer aty station won't feed the paper right. SIGH Monday....

almeeker 02-13-2012 01:16 AM

I'm in. I've fallen into some really bad habits, firstly the whole week goes along well enough, then Friday night hits and I fall long and hard off the wagon and can't get my head around being on plan again until Monday morning, and secondly my workouts have been lack luster, inconsistent and infrequent. I need to get this under control, before I have to go shopping for a whole new fat lady wardrobe.

Other than being a human vacuum at the table, I did finally finish a rabbit cage for Jingle Belle, OMG it was funny. DH helped me with the final assembly last night and we carried it up the basement stairs, it got stuck at the top and wouldn't go around the corner into the kitchen, so there I am with a rabbit cage squishing my face and it would not budge. We ended up taking it back down the stairs and out through the basement door that goes directly outside, and walking it around to the front porch. Anyway after a bit of housekeeping on the porch we put her into her new cage and she jumped all over and raced around, it was hilarious. So now I'm on to making another cage for Alfie. It is starting to look like Oreo is pregnant, but I could just be imagining the baby bump. We should have weighed her beforehand.

Health & Fitness:

1. Calories 1,400/day.
2. 128 oz water daily (Mike you really should have challenged me to something harder, I'm already at 50 for the day and I haven't even worked out yet).
3. 7 hours exercise.
4. Calorie deficit 5,000.
5. Protein 25% or higher.
6. Log & report everyday.
7. Last Monday 164. Post weight: 165

Other stuff:

1. Cut all the pieces for the other 3 rabbit cages.
2. Finish my little part of the taxes.
3. Housework 45 min daily +1 load of laundry.
4. Call guy about elliptical parts.
5. Distribute 4-H calendar.
6. Finish 3 pieces for Betsy costume.
7. Write down the most wonderful thing that happened.

The next couple of weeks are going to be really nutty, so I may not be on as often as usual.

Mern 02-13-2012 02:55 AM

Weighing in at 218.5 this morning, a pound down from my restart yesterday. Could be a scale fluctuation, but I'm hoping it's water retention loss. Met all my Sunday goals which were an effort to try to break my recent reinstated carb addiction.

Don't know if the gnawing and burning sensation in my stomach last night was from too much fiber (my target is 25g and I achieved 41g) or whether it was phychological. I do recall mentioning in a mid-day post yesterday that I felt deprived, so maybe it WAS psychological. Anyway, a snack of turkey sausage and string cheese relieved the evening burning and gnawing sensation bringing my totals for the day to all green numbers of:

1540 calories, 9% of total calories as sat fat, 14.9g carbs less fiber, 41g fiber, 133g protein, 165mg cholesterol.

Based on yesterday's experiment, my goals this week will be rigid, but only temporary to break my carb addiction:

3 low carb, vitamin fortified protein shakes as small meal replacements before dinner
Low carb, on-plan dinner
Evening snack of solid food protein and fat such as meat and cheese
Calorie limit 1600
Carbs less fiber limit 20g (usually is 25g)
Fiber range 25-35g
Protein target 120g
Sat fat limit 12% of total calories
Cholesterol limit 300mg
Veggies/fruit 4-5 servings

Exercise 5 times
Water 60 oz.

Mern 02-13-2012 03:34 AM

Mike, watch for a FedEx truck carrying a case of adult diapers you'll need due to drinking a gallon of water per day and a belt to hold up your Big Bird britches. Promising no brown bag over my head any day this week. :)

Tori, best wishes this week, especially on your goal of not going to jail. LOL

Pam, I am so excited for you over your vacation to Montana. OMG, I LOVE train trips! I've been on only day trips by train and would love an extended one.

Kay, congrats on that half pound loss last week and best wishes on this week's goals.

Cassie, your "boring" description kinda gave me a chuckle. Did you mean boring to us or to yourself? You are so right to stick with them until you nail those goals because it's obvious you know that's what your body needs. On the sleep needs, all I remember and can attest to through experience is that it depends on when I wake during the sleep cycle that affects whether I feel refreshed or not. If I wake from a light sleep I feel refreshed. If a sound or alarm clock wakes me while I'm dreaming I do not feel refreshed from sleep no matter how many hours I got in.

Aspikes, wishing you a full week on the wagon. Hey, we've ALL had weeks where we crashed and burned mid-week. We know you can make it this week and will be cheering you on.

Amy, I KNOW you can get back on the wagon. I've been the same place as you and Aspikes--off the wagon and I'm trying really hard to get back on after watching my scale routinely creeping up. Congrats on getting the rabbit cage done. Looks like you don't need the adult diapers since 128 oz. is no challenge! Whew, I don't know how y'all drink that much!

fit4luv 02-13-2012 03:44 AM

Mike ~~ You're awesome! How do you remember everyone?! Yup - I still plan to shoot for the moon.

Tori ~ "Just keep swimming" as Dory says. It is possible to lose weight with all that you have going on. Difficult, but possible. Is it OK that I use this as my theme for focusing this week?

Pam ~ I'd like to hear if your plan works out with your co-worker. You've a great heart & think she'll be able to sense that. Hope your travels go well!

Kay ~ "Plan and Prepare" --> So key and great goals. Go for it this week!

Cassie ~ I guess you could say at least 6 hours sleep.

Ashlie ~ Glad to see you sticking through & coming back! I so understand not meeting goals.

almeeker ~ Baby bunnies on the way! How exciting!

Mern ~ That green looks so pretty. I really hope that you can re-focus this week. Learn -> Understand ->Apply. That applying is the hardest, isn't it?! At least for me that's true. I so empathize with you.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/fish/t107128.gif
*~*FitDay Challenge *~* "Keep Swimming" - (Dory)
"Life is a challenge, meet it." ~ Mother Theresa
Check-in:
Sun = "Cushion" Day {Respite with Reason} . . . Daily = x6/wk

MON MISSION --> Before eating . . . Think & Do: Did I chart previous intake?

FIT (Focus ~ Intake ~Train)
FOCUS (3) Mind & Heart
*Audio Bible (10 chapt) =
*Hlth Group (Bk Study) =
*Thankfulness Journal (Daily Entry) =

INTAKE (3) Nutrition
*1600 Calorie = AT/BELOW x0 ::: ABOVE x0
*H2O (40 oz) = Yes x0 ::::: No x0
*Supplements = Yes x0 ::::: No x0

TRAIN (3) Movement
*Aerobic (150") =
*Life: Miles/Steps (15 mi/32,000 Steps) =
*Muscular (Each Area x2) = UEs x0 * LEs x0 * Torso x0

DAY (3) Life
DAZZLE: *Deep Clean: Zone 3 (1' 15") =
ADMINISTRATE: *Paper Trail (20") =
YARD (Outside) *Maintain (x5) =

wildbeanerz 02-13-2012 04:06 AM

I had great success last week! I started out the week at 271.2 (TOTM and super bowl weight put me up about 4-5 lbs) and weighted in this morning at 262.4 lbs! That is 8.8 lbs lost last week!! Even if 4-5 was water that is 3-4lbs lost! Yay!!!

I am going to keep similar goals and add a few new ones to try. I have mastered the salt & diet coke so I'm going to drop them but continue to do them. I actually haven't even drank a single can of diet coke in at least 2 days. :)

My son got in a tussel at the hospital last night. He and another patient were calling each other names and stuff so he hit the other patient. The other one then hit him back and he got a cut on his head that was bleeding. The RN that called me told me that she had a discussion with him about whatever choices he makes in his life, someone else will always have something negative to say about it and he needs to find a different way to react than to always become so angry. :rolleyes: Sounds like the same familiar statement we have been telling him for years. Maybe it will mean more coming from more people than just Mom & Dad.

This morning for breakfast I had a serving of Bran Buds with 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 sliced up banana and 1/2 cup 1% milk in it. OMG, it was so good!!!

Health / Fitness Goals ...
1. 100 oz of water
2. Walk at lunch unless freezing & windy (this week may be bad for walking)
3. Carbs less than 50% (new at this one so not setting it too low)
4. Work out 3 times by Friday (I know I won't on the weekend since hubby's home both days)
5. Weigh and post daily M: 262.4lbs,
6. 500 calorie deficit daily

Life Goals ...
1. One day at a time
2. Cross-stitch at least 3 times (can be done on lunch at work to count)
3. Finish weekend laundry
4. Make sure son's clothes are ready for Valentine's Dance Thursday night.... Awwwww! http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...smiley-wub.png

wildbeanerz 02-13-2012 04:28 AM

Mike ... I Love your goal setup this week! ... Your advice to me to keep doin' what I'm doin' ? I plan on it!

Tori ... Get that water in girl! ... I hear ya on printer problems ruining your day. Hope it gets fixed soon! ... Hey did you notice you are only 3lbs away from a 50lb loss? Woohoo!!!!

Pam ... Your trip sounds awesome! I could so use some time in a place with no cell phone or internet! I am totally jealous.

Kay ... You can do this!!

Cassie ... When I sleep too much, my lower back just aches for the first few hours that I am awake. ... Awww glad you got your card made out. Now put it in the mail!

Ashlei ... Don't be embarrassed to come here when you aren't having a good week. We are still here to support you even when you aren't doing so well. Here's to a better week this time around!

Amy ... What a cute bunny story! Sounds like she likes the new habitat.

Mern ... I don't think I could follow such a strict diet as you are this week. ... I just took a peek back through my food logs at my sat fat since that seems to be a biggie to you and mine over the past four days was 7%, 15%, 5% & 8% .. So now I'm curious. Where do you get 25% from? Is something that you include for other reasons high in sat fat?

Luv ... Your posts are always so well thought out and caring.

dar n 02-13-2012 04:41 AM

Mike Ok I will replace my every night squats with 1 night arms/1 night squats, I am getting saggy arms anyway, lol.

Pam I think walking for lunch with your co-worker is a great idea. Your ski trip sounds wonderful I can’t wait to see your pics.

Kay My weekend fell into a bucket of ice cream so I am also not dwelling on the past but really need to find some passion for my plan this week also.

Cassie My hubby sleeps exactly 6 hours and 15 min its odd I have always teased him he has never needed an alarm clock he just wakes up and when its bed time he lays down and poof he’s asleep I envy his ability to have mastered something I have struggled with my whole life. He is always well rested the only problem he seems to have is if I (and its always me:rolleyes:) keep him up past his bedtime he cannot sleep past 5:15 so he will need to nap that afternoon to catch up on the sleep he claims I stole from him,lol.

Ashlie I can be the same way when my food derails often so does my energy level and it’s a vicious circle if I am sitting around I snack if I snack I sit around. Do not let your bad eating keep you away from us though I really find my bad days are fewer because I do post and everybody encourages me or just relates their struggles which make me feel better and I get back on track faster.:)

Tori You have mentioned migraines a few times and my Dr started me on Relpax about a year ago I do not get migraines often and they seem linked to my insomnia but this drug has worked well for me so I thought I would share I know how frustrating living with migraine is and you have mentioned having a few lately, hope it passes soon.

Amy I hope your bunny is prego it will be interesting for your kids to go through this experience. I hope you find some passion for your exercise and goals this week.

Mern Nice Sunday numbers mine were horrible do you know how many calories and carbs are in country cream vanilla icecream :eek: it was shocking but hopefully I learned my lesson just so you know there is a reason half a cup is a serving because if not you eat 4x your carb goal for one day in a bowl.

Luv I like your Mother Theresa quote and your kissy fish.

April awesome job on the weight loss:D. Sorry your son didn’t have a good night hopefully today will be better for him. I know the banana and bran with a little milk tastes so good I will eat it for a snack!

I think I am going to have banana and bran for breakfast. It is beautiful out and its supposed to be a hike day but dd is very sick and due to her illness she needs supervised so unless she feels much better this afternoon I won't be able to leave her. I am going to try to clean my fridge out today it's a job I do not really enjoy but I did it when Tori did hers so I figure since Cassie did it this weekend I will just follow your guys lead and it will stay tidy. Have a great day everyone.

Goals:
Walk 25k:
Exercise 5 days:
Squats 4 days:
Ab work 5 days:
Arm work 3 days:
Calories less than 1400:
Calorie deficit of 5000 for week:
No sugar:

wildbeanerz 02-13-2012 05:00 AM

Aww Darlene, I hope your daughter feels better. Hugs for her!

taubele 02-13-2012 05:21 AM

Goodness, you guys, I was a total fat chick this weekend on Friday night and through Saturday. I fell off the wagon and then was dragged behind it rubbing my face in the mud. My choices this weekend included (food porn in white):

An entire large Pizza Hut pizza with chicken, red onion, green pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes. At least it was thin crust??? :rolleyes:

Four pieces of fried chicken breast with three Hawaiian bread rolls

Half a bag of dark chocolate M&Ms

Chicken and Dumplings slow-cooked with full-fat cream of chicken, heaps of cheese, with extra mashed potatoes on the side just for more carby fun.

Oh, and a six pack of non-light beer

I don't even know what happened. I made the chicken and dumplings for BF (his favorite meal) and then it was like my inner fat person went hog-wild and the good me lost consciousness on Saturday. I just kind of "cut loose" and spent the entire day on the couch Saturday bathing in food. I'm not depressed or anxious, in fact, I've been in a fantastic mood, so I really have no explanation for the binge. I'm up to 160.4 this week but goodness knows if it's real weight, salt, or something in-between. I honestly didn't log on because I knew I was doing badly and I was ashamed of myself :(

The only good news is that I did log EVERYTHING to the best of my ability, and Sunday I woke up feeling really renewed (sadly, I didn't even have a "food hangover" or anything). I was able to just kind of... shake off the day and I'm left to wonder about why it even happened. I got in a workout on Sunday and did a bunch of errands with all the extra energy I had, and I recommitted myself to a healthier and more in-control week this week.

I made my first ever homemade chicken soup recipe on Sunday, too!! -- from stock to completion -- and it should be enough for lunches all week (barring lab meeting day) and if the recipe calculator is right, it's only about 230 calories a serving. It's hard for me to guess on soups because I don't know what all is absorbed in the broth, but I cooked the chicken with no skin and as much of the fat removed as I could (I did use bone-in chicken thighs mixed with breasts for more flavor, and I couldn't get rid of ALL of the fat without mutilating the meat). The rest of the recipe included celery, onions, and carrots in the stock (I removed the onion and celery after making the stock and just sliced the cooked carrots to add back in) and about 1 cup uncooked (2 cups cooked) rice to fill out the soup volume, then I sprinkled fresh parsley to finish it off. I used white rice rather than whole-grain because BF hates brown/whole grain rice and I wanted him to eat it too (which he did on Sunday to rave reviews), but otherwise I felt like it's a fairly healthy, if simple, soup. It made a total of 7-8 cups and I divided that into 6 servings. I'm also proud of myself because I used the leftover chicken from chicken-and-dumplings and I've been trying to be more conscious about using leftovers creatively.

Anyway, I'm just going to jump back on the horse and leave Saturday alone. If I could get back down to 158 this week I think I'll consider it a win! Big hugs to those that need it, and for those that are falling down like me, perhaps we can help each other back on the horse?

Weekly Goals

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals

1) Keep calories between 1200 and 1500, with an average for the ween between 1200 and 1300
2) Exercise 3-4 times this week
3) Calorie deficit of at least 5000
4) At least 80 oz. of water daily. More is better.
5) Protein average between 25-30% for the week.
6) In bed by 11:30 every night
7) No more than one lunch and one dinner out this week (This will be really hard this week, considering V-day)
8) Weigh in daily and report here!!

Other Life Goals

1) Make an effort on my appearance every day
2) Don't sweat the small stuff
3) Get in four job applications
4) Write down something wonderful that happens every day
5) Perform one random act of kindness a day (Did you all know it's "Random Act of Kindness Week" officially in the USA?? I didn't even know that existed!)

Mern 02-13-2012 05:27 AM

Luv, "Learn -> Understand -> Apply." What great advice and encouragement! Yup, I've learned and understand--it IS the applying that gives me the trouble. Thanks.

April, my sat fat goal is 12% of total calories. The number 25 is my usual limit of net carbs (carbs less fiber) and is also my usual target for fiber grams. Both those targets are from what my doctor and I worked out together to fit my personal needs to control my blood sugar and reduce my cholesterol and triglycerides without medication. Your weight loss last week was absolutely fantastic! Cogratulations! I still maintain that fat weight and water weight look the same, so no matter what it was made of, you still lost 8.8 lbs. :) Congrats, also, on mastering the salt and diet coke. I see you are continuing those really strong, beneficial goals this week. Kudos on that--you are rockin' it, girl! Aw, so sorry to hear about the fight your son got into, but as you already stated, maybe some good will come of it since the RN gave him the same speech about finding a way to address his problems besides taking them out in anger against someone else. That support and fortification of parental advice goes a long way. I hope your other son has a wonderful time at the Valentines dance. So cute. Valentine's Day is my live-in GD's and her boyfriend's first anniversary of going together. They celebrated yesterday at a nice Italian restaurant yesterday, though, because she has to work Tuesday.

01gt4.6 02-13-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 72821)
Done. Had my morning bawl-fest and moving on :(.

Thanks, Mike.

Congrats on getting it done. Now turn that frowl upside down!

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 72823)
Mike, watch for a FedEx truck carrying a case of adult diapers you'll need due to drinking a gallon of water per day and a belt to hold up your Big Bird britches. Promising no brown bag over my head any day this week. :)

I do okay on a gallon, I just get up all night. GF & Mytsie won't be too happy if I wet the bed.

Originally Posted by fit4luv (Post 72828)
Mike ~~ You're awesome! How do you remember everyone?! Yup - I still plan to shoot for the moon.

My memory isn't that good, trust me. :(

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 72834)
Mike ... I Love your goal setup this week! ... Your advice to me to keep doin' what I'm doin' ? I plan on it!

No need to change what's working, right?

Originally Posted by dar n (Post 72835)
Mike Ok I will replace my every night squats with 1 night arms/1 night squats, I am getting saggy arms anyway, lol.

Always remember, muscles need time to rest to rebuild and grown. Some people say to give them 24 hours, others say 48 hours. If you really work them HARD, I'd say 48 hours to recover. Is it saggy skin or muscle? If it's skin it would take a lot less time for the skin to tighten back up than it would to fill the skin with new muscle. I'm not saying to not work out your arms by any means, you should.

Busy, busy day today. I'll try to check in in a little bit.

Mern 02-13-2012 05:42 AM

Darlene, I hope your DD has a speedy recovery. Thanks for your nice words about my Sunday numbers. Yesterday I'd have killed for just a lick of your Country Cream vanilla ice cream. Yeah, I know what you're sayin' about a bowl being 4 times the carb goal for one day, but who eats just 1/2 cup of ice cream unless they're a saint and more than 1/2 cup ice cream is a sin? That reminds me of the cereal boxes that give low calorie and carb counts because the serving size is 1/3 cup.

Terri, you are not alone in the food porn consumption. I was there all last week eating mass quantities of whatever I wanted. I have mud embedded in every pore of my body from being dragged behind the wagon. I, too, did not log then because I was so ashamed and didn't want to know--but was not ashamed enough to quit eating totally out of control.

Gotta go pick up the grandkids. Seems that always happens when I get to Terri's posts. Terri, do you usually post around the same time? I'll be back to catch up with you later.

wildbeanerz 02-13-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 72843)
Luv, "Learn -> Understand -> Apply." What great advice and encouragement! Yup, I've learned and understand--it IS the applying that gives me the trouble. Thanks.

April, my sat fat goal is 12% of total calories. The number 25 is my usual limit of net carbs (carbs less fiber) and is also my usual target for fiber grams. Both those targets are from what my doctor and I worked out together to fit my personal needs to control my blood sugar and reduce my cholesterol and triglycerides without medication. Your weight loss last week was absolutely fantastic! Cogratulations! I still maintain that fat weight and water weight look the same, so no matter what it was made of, you still lost 8.8 lbs. :) Congrats, also, on mastering the salt and diet coke. I see you are continuing those really strong, beneficial goals this week. Kudos on that--you are rockin' it, girl! Aw, so sorry to hear about the fight your son got into, but as you already stated, maybe some good will come of it since the RN gave him the same speech about finding a way to address his problems besides taking them out in anger against someone else. That support and fortification of parental advice goes a long way. I hope your other son has a wonderful time at the Valentines dance. So cute. Valentine's Day is my live-in GD's and her boyfriend's first anniversary of going together. They celebrated yesterday at a nice Italian restaurant yesterday, though, because she has to work Tuesday.

Woops! Sorry for mixing your numbers up but thanks for the explanation! :)

They really are so cute. They were dating for a while before homecoming and then they broke up for about a month or so. But they have been back together since before Christmas now.

ToriD1012 02-13-2012 06:27 AM

Oh Monday, how I love you.....skipped our normal Subway run today for mexican!! It was good, and I'm pretty sure I did fairly well, just gonna have to watch supper real close tonight. I HAVE to get a walk in tonight, whether it's freezing butt cold or not!! And it's supposed to BE freezing butt cold, maybe even a wintery mix in the forecast for the morning. Yay?

Will check back in after work!!

wildbeanerz 02-13-2012 06:31 AM

*** caution post contains 2 instances of food porn *** LOL

Just walked past a table where there is cherry iced fudge sitting out for the taking. Looked at the package. No nutrition facts to be found. Put it back down and kept walking. Can't log it? Can't eat it! That's my new theory.

I have been hoarding an apple in my desk drawer since last week in case I have the need to eat something extra but so far it's still there. I think about the extra carbs & calories and just decide to wait for dinner because regardless if I eat that apple, I'm still going to eat the same amount of dinner. Speaking of dinner.... hubby is turning our leftover pot roast, carrots & onions, homemade beef gravy and mashed potatoes into a shepherd's pie for tonight's dinner. This is a huge problem for me as this is a large portion of my comfort foods all in one dish! So I am being very careful today. LOL

Mern 02-13-2012 07:14 AM

April, that's sweet that your son and GF could take being broken up for only a month. My daughter and her BF split a year ago and my 10 year old granddaughter told me this morning they're getting back together. I'm not happy about it because he's too immature for her and she coddles him too much to the point where she lets him use her and control her, but I can't my daughter's life for her, much as I'd like to. So I try to keep my opinions to myself but when I hear things I sometimes just tell her, "I'll bite my tongue and not tell you what I think."

Terri, oh, I see I misread your post. I see now you didn't say that you didn't log your food because you were ashamed--you said you didn't log ON. Well, when I'm cheating badly, I neither log my food NOR log on. :( So kudos to you for logging! That is praiseworthy, girl! Not joking! More kudos on working out Sunday and recommitting to a healthier and more in-control week this week! I wanna be like YOU when I grow up! :) Oh, your chicken rice soup sounds really delicious! Hard to know how much fat is absorbed into the broth but when your recipe makes such a large amount, you don't get all that much fat per serving anyway. Maybe I SHOULD try riding the horse, because I've been falling off the wagon too much. LOL Best wishes for sticking with those wonderful goals this week! Big hug to ya!

Tori, I was lucky to be able to avoid Subway today when I made a run there for my 16 year old GD who was supposedly home at my house sick, but gave me a huge smile when I offered to get Subway for HER. Now how big a stomach ache can one have to eat a 6" that included extra banana peppers and a medium pop? Glad you enjoyed your Mexican food. Hope you get in your walk before that wintry mix hits.

Mike, I get up 5-6 times a night on 60 oz. (small bladder, the docs tell me) but I can usually go right back to sleep if a need for a potty trip is all that wakes me. If I drank 128 oz. I'd have to spend the night on the toilet.

taubele 02-13-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 72846)

Terri, you are not alone in the food porn consumption. I was there all last week eating mass quantities of whatever I wanted. I have mud embedded in every pore of my body from being dragged behind the wagon. I, too, did not log then because I was so ashamed and didn't want to know--but was not ashamed enough to quit eating totally out of control.

Gotta go pick up the grandkids. Seems that always happens when I get to Terri's posts. Terri, do you usually post around the same time? I'll be back to catch up with you later.

I usually post sometime around lunch-ish? Anywhere between 11 and 1 depending on the day. And hey, if you've got mud in your pores your skin should eventually look WONDERful, right? :D All that's left to do is hoist yourself back on the wagon, looks like you're off to a good start!!

Mern 02-13-2012 07:20 AM

Terri, that's it: I'm often on the computer between 1:20 and 1:40PM at which time I must leave to pick up my high school grandkids. I guess that's why I often run out of time by the time I get to your post. It's nothing personal, just the time frame. You're usually my bookmark as to where to continue or begin posting again. LOL

Well, yeah, I'm not as wrinkled as many women my age, so I guess those muddy pores are beneficial. Thanks for letting me ride along side of you when I'm not being dragged. :)

wildbeanerz 02-13-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 72857)
April, that's sweet that your son and GF could take being broken up for only a month. My daughter and her BF split a year ago and my 10 year old granddaughter told me this morning they're getting back together. I'm not happy about it because he's too immature for her and she coddles him too much to the point where she lets him use her and control her, but I can't my daughter's life for her, much as I'd like to. So I try to keep my opinions to myself but when I hear things I sometimes just tell her, "I'll bite my tongue and not tell you what I think."

Mine isn't an adult yet so it's not that kind of situation. They are only 14. I try not to be too serious about it. I know the chances of this girl being "the one" are slim to none. Just because I married the man I dated at 15, LOL, doesn't mean everyone does!

Now, does he need to get her a corsage for a Valentine's Day dance? I never went to a high school dance so I don't know these things.

Mern 02-13-2012 07:35 AM

April, I always read the food porn. But I can make a low carb shepherd's pie using mashed cauliflower, so I'm OK on that one. Tonight I'm making a casserole out of lean ground beef, cooked cabbage, onion, tomatoes, and chili powder, salt substitute and pepper to taste. And it's delicious. :) Aw, great job on keeping that apple in your desk! Too bad on the treat sitting out, but you're right, if you can't log it, you probably shouldn't eat it.

I just asked the opinions of my 2 high school granddaughters and they both said that at their high school (in Ohio) corsages are worn at prom and sometimes at homecoming but they generally don't for other dances such as Valentine's. But they also said it's always optional and at their school the couple can do what THEY like.

dar n 02-13-2012 08:59 AM

Terri Sorry to hear about your crash and burn weekend but happy to hear you bounced back quickly. I love chicken soup I think Cassie was eating it last week also but with all the veggies and lean protein it’s got to be much healthier than a lot of other lunch choices.

Mike I think it’s a combination of saggy skin and some muscle loss when I was at work I was always lifting and moving stuff around so I got a ton of upper body work and since it’s been 7 months since I have worked I have started to notice a decline in my arm tone.:(

Mern If icecream is a sin I was in big trouble yesterday good thing I know were forgiveness comes from:). Cereal is crazy bad for you if you eat whole bowl the way I do, the only cereal I eat now is bran buds and I weigh my 25grams and put it with yogurt or bananas no more large bowls of so called healthy cereal for me.

April I do not usually like shepherd’s pie but no one has ever made it for me with roast and carrots that sounds like a shepherd’s pie I would eat. Nice job walking away from the fudge.:D

Mern That’s a parenting skill I am still working on it is so hard to watch your kids do things you know are not good choices for them and to hold your tongue about it.

I got a walk in I didn’t hike as it would have been to hard to get home if I was needed to so we walked the waterfront. I spent 1.5 hours wearing out Kaya and I would not let her sleep she kept looking at me like what do you want me to do but she needed to stay up so I could stick her in her crate so dd didn’t have to deal with her and that way they both slept while I was out. Thanks for your well wishes I think she just has a flu but when she gets a fever and dehydrated her electrolytes go all wonky which makes her bp drop and her pacemaker works overtime and that makes the passing out worse. If she’s well enough tomorrow we will go get her blood tested but I called the Dr and he said to increase her potassium and magnesium by 1 pill each and she takes a drug to increase her bp so we upped it and put her on the couch with oj and water, it just sucks because there is nothing I can do to help but she will get through it with a smile she always does. Have a great day and if you have sunshine go out and enjoy it.:)

almeeker 02-13-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 72860)
Mine isn't an adult yet so it's not that kind of situation. They are only 14. I try not to be too serious about it. I know the chances of this girl being "the one" are slim to none. Just because I married the man I dated at 15, LOL, doesn't mean everyone does!

Now, does he need to get her a corsage for a Valentine's Day dance? I never went to a high school dance so I don't know these things.

Yes, I agree with Mern, chocolates and/or flowers for Valentines Day certainly, but not necessarily a corsage.

ToriD1012 02-13-2012 09:06 AM

:eek:I am so glad to see Monday come and go! It was a strange day indeed! Just doing a check in to keep myself accountable. I'm really wanting some of the chips that I found hiding in the cabinet. Salt & Vinegar at that! My faaavveesssssssss!!!!! I think I'm going to get this walking done before it gets cold. It's currently about 52*, which is cold enough for this Southern Belle!! I'm not real sure how I'm gonna make it through tomorrow if we actually do get the wet stuff they're predicting!!! Cold AND wet are not a combo that I desire.

Getting up now to dump the chips in the garbage! If I just throw the bag out, I'll be tempted to dig them out! EEEWWWWWWWW :eek:

yourbadd 02-13-2012 09:10 AM

Hi all!! I'm new to the forums and have been repeatedly invited to pop over here and join the weekly support thread...so here I am!!

My goals this week:
1. Keep under 1600 calories each day(the lower the better)
2. 80 oz of water min. each day
3. Get in at a min. 30 mins of exercise each day.
4. Research foods that are filling yet lower in carbs/fat.
5. Have weight loss of 1-2lbs.

Other goals:
1. Get new cook hired at work.
2. Make reading guide worksheets for son's literature unit(I home school him)
3. Buy new tennis shoes!!! My old ones are worn out!!

Deborah

fit4luv 02-13-2012 09:23 AM

Tori ~ http://yoursmiles.org/ssmile/pozitive/s0809.gif Great going on running from your temptation . ... and replacing it with something good like a walk. Swim, girl, Swim!!!

Deborah ~ http://yoursmiles.org/gsmile/word/g20067.gif
I also homeschool. We have 2 girls - 1st grade & 5th grade. This board has been so encouraging for me to keep going. Excellent goals, by the way.:)

dar n 02-13-2012 09:25 AM

Sorry Cassie but if it makes you feel less tempted a small 500ml container = 737 calories:eek:48grams fat 30 of them saturated :eek: and 66grams carbs :eek: it was a big mistake.:(

dar n 02-13-2012 09:26 AM

Welcome Deborah!

canary52 02-13-2012 09:39 AM

My goals this week:
1) stop eating so frigging much
2) drink some frigging water for goodness sake
3) stay on this thread
4) be a stretchy mama

simple goals, not quite as elegant as Mike's. Amy is the bunny preg? didn't get to read all the posts, so hard to keep up which is why I sometimes drop out. excuses, excuses. Hello everyone. It's been a tough time. I had to put my beloved elegant gray cat Jake to sleep. Baby Jake. He was only 6. I cannot say more. I will cry. Plus I have more DD worries.

BUT I am writing (i did a reading) and I even signed on to do stand up (tho I may chicken out.)

Happy V day everyone! Be good or at least have fun if you're not.

Mern 02-13-2012 09:48 AM

Cassie, here's post about something not ice cream. I traded my dinner's steamed broccoli for another 1/2 cup of my cabbage, tomato, onion, and lean ground beef casserole because it was so delicious. And I'm STILL going to come in with fantastic numbers tomorrow. Still have room for a snack of ground turkey patty and a piece of string cheese tonight along with a cup or unsweetened orange spice tea. YUMMY day so far!

Deborah, welcome to our group! :) Nice sensible goals. I, too, allow myself up to 1600 calories each day. I'm afraid that if I go much lower (like to 1200 like some are able to do)when I eventually reach goal weight I'll start putting weight back on as I increase calories to what it would take to maintain that goal weight. But we're all different, so whatever works best for each person is fine with me. I'm also a lowcarber. I have 7 grandkids and 2 great grandkids. How old are your Oompa Loompas? :) You work AND homeschool your kids?

Mern 02-13-2012 10:03 AM

Hope, I am so sorry to read about Jake and so sorry you have more DD worries. Huge hugs to ya! Long time no see! Welome back. Honey, you have a lot of company as SEVERAL of us fell off the wagon. THERE'S NO NEED to read all the posts--honestly, I don't think anyone here has time to do that. Many times I have to just skim the posts to look to see if anyone addressed me personally and reply to only those. Kudos on the writing. Stand up comedy? I'll be good on food tomorrow--can't promise anything regarding behavior, though. :p

Oh, crud, I still have to exercise today if I want all green numbers and bragging rights tomorrow. UGH! I won't let myself come back here tonight until I HAVE exercised. DOUBLE UGH!

Mern 02-13-2012 10:03 AM

One more thing--anyone know where Rose is?

We miss you, Rose!

yourbadd 02-13-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks Mern! My Oompas are 13(DD), 11(DD) and 8(DS). I only homeschool my youngest anymore. He has a few obstacles that make public school not an option right now. I am lucky to work 6 miles from home at a church affiliated camp. We run year round with obviously less work/campers over the winter than other times. I am their food service manager. I've been able to set the schedule so I work mostly evenings and when I do work days I can take my son with me.

I know I'll lose more on 1200 calories but I tried that before and seemed to always be hungry. It caused me to obsess about my next meal/snack and overindulged way too often. Maybe once I get my body used to 1600 calories I can thrown in a week challenge at 1200. For me, if I intend to make this a lifestyle change vs. a weight loss diet, I need to be realistic and make small changes and take small steps.