FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Women's Plus Size vs. Junior's Plus Size (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/6536-womens-plus-size-vs-juniors-plus-size.html)

wildbeanerz 02-01-2012 03:17 PM

Women's Plus Size vs. Junior's Plus Size

What is the difference? I was shopping online at Kohl's the other day and came across a junior's plus size section. The tops in there are much more to my style and liking than some of the women's section stuff. I am leery of ordering online to begin with but I am thinking maybe they are going to be shorter than women's or they are not as full cut since they are for a younger crowd. Anybody have an idea? I think my best bet is to see if my local Kohl's store has a juniors plus section at the store and start there. :)

changeisgood29 02-01-2012 05:50 PM

Hola, April,
My experience with Junior's clothes at Kohl's has also been that I like the style better, but the cut is significantly smaller and a bit shorter than the "regular" clothes. Since I'm 5'3 (and a half), I like the shorter cut, but the sizing can be a real headache. I haven't tried the Junior's Plus sizes, but to give you a rough idea: I usually wear a medium on top, but in Jr's sizes that typically translates to an XL and *sometimes* L. Pant sizes are so wonky it's hard to give you a general idea, but I'd say at my size 10 regular, I'd probably do a 12/13 in Jr's. But clothing manufacturers seem to *really* hate women/girls when it comes to pants/bottoms, so it's just a bunch of trial and error.

Hope that helped - let us know how it goes!

wildbeanerz 02-01-2012 05:58 PM

Thanks! If they are shorter at all, then I'm out! LOL At 5'10" I usually can't get away with average length jeans anymore. I mostly by tall if they have the option. I used to but for some reason now they stop just above my ankle and that is not the look I want! :rolleyes: I still have the habit of wearing tops long enough to go past my belly too. I dont' want anyone to see the curve of the bottom of my belly. Even though that curve is decidedly smaller now. :)

almeeker 02-01-2012 06:22 PM

I've shopped in the Jr's department too and I will say that for the most part, Jr's aren't cut for grown women, but it all depends on the style, sometimes I get lucky. For example my rear end is much more shapely than your average 12 year old girl's, so I find the jeans really short in the seat, and I don't have nearly the curve back there that I used to. I also have noticed that although the tops fit me around and in length (yes they are shorter) they're ALWAYS tight across my double D's, cause you just don't see these in Jr. High. Every now and again I do buy a thing or two from the Jr's department, but I shop the women's racks first.

wildbeanerz 02-01-2012 07:15 PM

Thanks Amy! Yeah, I doubt many highschoolers are carrying around what we are. I know mine were D's then but they seemed much smaller then than now! :eek: I guess I will stick to the women's section. Even though so often it seems that plus size women must really want to wear things with loud obnoxious patterns!

amandabeth1981 02-02-2012 01:44 PM

And sequins! We all want sequins! And not just a few...we want to be COVERED in them! I'm not sure who does the designing for a lot of women's plus lines, but seriously. I'm big and round. Add sequins and I'm a disco ball. :D

One line that I do like is a.n.a. at JC Penney. Normal clothes that fit well and are professional.

almeeker 02-02-2012 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by amandabeth1981 (Post 71344)
And sequins! We all want sequins! And not just a few...we want to be COVERED in them! I'm not sure who does the designing for a lot of women's plus lines, but seriously. I'm big and round. Add sequins and I'm a disco ball. :D

One line that I do like is a.n.a. at JC Penney. Normal clothes that fit well and are professional.

ROFLOL, you sister are very funny. In all seriousness, you aren't a disco ball until someone throws the light switch and shines a flashlight on you. Oh and you have to spin in circles too. lol.

DH went to a surprise party in December for his best friend. Anyway about an hour into the event my husband leans over to me and asks me if I need to go shopping. I'm like "uh?", then he points out that I'm the only woman at the party who's ass isn't completely decked out in bling-bling. I totally cracked up laughing and the very next time I went to the store I found a pair of jeans with pockets that are absolutely covered in sequins and whatnot. They amuse DH, but I don't wear them often because you really can't sit comfortably on all that, it's bumpy and catches on everything.

wildbeanerz 02-02-2012 03:05 PM

LOL I have a pair that has some bling on the pockets. Most of my tops cover that area anyway. I haven't gotten to a point where I let my butt & gut show. LOL :D

My hubby held up a pair of my jeans the other day while I was folding laundry and commented on how 'small' they are.

amandabeth1981 02-02-2012 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 71346)
ROFLOL, you sister are very funny. In all seriousness, you aren't a disco ball until someone throws the light switch and shines a flashlight on you. Oh and you have to spin in circles too. lol.

DH went to a surprise party in December for his best friend. Anyway about an hour into the event my husband leans over to me and asks me if I need to go shopping. I'm like "uh?", then he points out that I'm the only woman at the party who's ass isn't completely decked out in bling-bling. I totally cracked up laughing and the very next time I went to the store I found a pair of jeans with pockets that are absolutely covered in sequins and whatnot. They amuse DH, but I don't wear them often because you really can't sit comfortably on all that, it's bumpy and catches on everything.

HA! If I spin in circles, will that count as exercise? :) I don't mind a little bling, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

crazigerl 02-03-2012 04:14 AM

You forgot the huge armholes that are sometimes on plus size women's tops. Sometimes when I put the shirts on I put my head in the armhole.

If I shop in Juniors (which isn't often) I have to be aware that every top wants to show my tata's. As I have a natural winter coat on I can't wear layers. So while some of them are very cute nobody wants to see my old lady crack.

wildbeanerz 02-03-2012 02:56 PM

I also really love the band that they love to put just below 'the girls'. Anything like that makes me look 12 months pregnant! :eek:

almeeker 02-03-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by crazigerl (Post 71424)
You forgot the huge armholes that are sometimes on plus size women's tops. Sometimes when I put the shirts on I put my head in the armhole.

If I shop in Juniors (which isn't often) I have to be aware that every top wants to show my tata's. As I have a natural winter coat on I can't wear layers. So while some of them are very cute nobody wants to see my old lady crack.

OMG the armholes!!! For years and years I did not wear tank tops, admittedly I'm self conscience of large arms, but it was more because the whole top and side of my bra was visible through the armhole. Yikes! I know the young girls dress to intentionally show off their bras, but in my day the entire goal of wearing a top was to COVER the bra. I just can't go there.

You are so right about the low-cut peek-a-boo aspect, and it does not help that I'm short, and hail from the land of "plenty". So whenever I put on one of those tops, it's a scene! Run, hide, cover the eyes of the children (and the husbands), here comes the jiggling jug brigade.... No thank you, it's too cold here in Michigan for that look, my lips would be blue for certain.

Don't sell your "old lady crack" short, believe me a dyed in the wool breast man does not care how old you are, they look and enjoy the show regardless. When I was a teenager I spent some time at my grandmother's house over the summer. She was maybe in her mid-50's. Anyway we spent a day at the beach, at one point we were walking along the shore collecting shells and whatnot, when all of a sudden there was a loud cat whistle. My grandmother leans over and says, "I think that was for you". So I slowly turned my head to see who might be whistling. Wrong, not for me, there was an older gentleman stretched out on a beach lounger waving at us. Believe me grans had (and still does) plenty of "old lady crack", and it never fails to reel in the "boob" men.

almeeker 02-03-2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 71473)
I also really love the band that they love to put just below 'the girls'. Anything like that makes me look 12 months pregnant! :eek:

Ugh, that look should be avoided unless you're very pregnant. It certainly makes everybody look pregnant. It's one thing for me to walk past a rack of that style, it's a completely different thing to explain to our 10 year old DD why the tops that her aunties bought for her for Christmas aren't appropriate to wear to school or anywhere else that's out in public!

wildbeanerz 02-03-2012 08:12 PM

LOL on the tank tops! I have flat out refused to take my sons to any function in the family that a certain cousin's gf is at because I can't have my sons exposed to her huge jiggling boobs and bra that she insists on only wearing a tank top over!! :eek: Even my hubby is disgusted by that one.

Absentha 02-05-2012 11:18 AM

Well, I can't recognize a single one of the stores you've been mentioning, but here in Spain it's not very different from what you describe. Plus size clothing is a nightmare: you will either find florals everywhere (like I need that), or those pregnant-looking tops you mentioned above. Nothing fits correctly, it's either baggy or too tight, and whatever fits my hips is huge around my thighs, etc... In the end almost everything makes me end up looking like a circus tent.
Then again, I have very skinny friends who say it's not a piece of cake for them either.

amandabeth1981 02-06-2012 02:02 PM

I think a lot of it depends on your personal style and body shape. Not every thin woman is shaped the same way, so there are lots of styles to accomodate that. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the same for plus sized clothes. I have a big belly, but tiny shoulders and small arms. To find something that fits around my middle, I have to buy things that swim around my shoulders and arms. Anyone else have that?

Absentha 02-06-2012 05:23 PM

Well, my problem is usually about chest sizes. The most common bra cup in Spain is B, and every bra store has B cups everywhere but no other sizes, it's so frustrating! I'm a D, and I can't wear buttoned shirts, for instance, because they're all wrong for me. In order to avoid the gaps between buttons I'd have to buy shirts a couple sizes larger than what I need. I go to lingerie stores and I can easily find thongs, boyshorts, etc that fit me well, but bras? Forget about it.

Rubystars 02-06-2012 06:12 PM

I can't wear buttoned shirts either, every time I move all the gaps open up between the buttons showing everything. Thankfully I'm at a D cup now, I was at a triple D when I was heavier. I imagine there are absolutely no stores in your area that would carry that!

wildbeanerz 02-06-2012 07:15 PM

I'm still a DDD right now. Button shirts are just now becoming a possibility if they aren't way too big. Still have the gapping sometimes. I am big in the belly but have less in the thighs and butt department so I have a problem with pants fitting the belly but being way to big on the legs. I have taken to buying 'skinny' jeans. LOL who would have thought that? LOL

crazigerl 02-07-2012 03:57 AM

I buy shirts to go over by girls and just take them in for better fit throught the waist. I'm not a seamstress I just follow the original line.

Rubystars 02-07-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 71923)
I have taken to buying 'skinny' jeans. LOL who would have thought that? LOL

That's actually really cool. lol

AlbertShaw 02-29-2016 06:39 AM

It's really great to read all such ideas about women's plus size vs Junior's plus size.

Cngsli89 04-12-2019 08:49 AM

In the sweltering environment in summer season, you have to gear up nicely for workout sessions so that all of your sweat is absorbed by your clothing. The summer season is knocking our doors and this is why I already have purchased really nice Designer Leggings and tops for my Yoga sessions.