FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 01/30/12 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/6514-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-01-30-12-a.html)

01gt4.6 01-30-2012 12:53 PM

Pam, trust me at a 13min/mile pace I did a lot of jogging. I can't go far at one time but I do it often!

Tori, GOYA, that's all I have to say and you know what that means!

Quinn, do I win a prize? :)

Busy day today, I didn't write any but was setting them up to a slam dunk. This may be thinking big but I may end up with 6 this week!!!!

Mern 01-30-2012 01:11 PM

Super busy day! OMG 40 posts already! I'm really tired and hoping to go to bed early, so my replies will be brief.

Kay! Congrats on the skinny skirt! We all know we can lose inches without the scale registering a loss. :)

Amy, congrats on the exercise at FIVE FREAKIN' AM! While the average person's stride is 29 inches and it takes them 2000 steps to walk a mile, my stride is only 20.8 inches and it takes me 3046 steps to walk a mile. So darned annoying. The lady next to me on the treadmill today had hers set to the same speed as I did today and I was taking WAY more steps than she. Shouldn't treadmills take a person's stride into consideration when tallying calories burned? There's no way to program that in the treadmills at my Y.

Zyxst, glad you're feeling better and I wish your hubby a speedy recovery.

Tori, congrats on the 4.2 lbs. lost last week! OMG, sorry 'bout your dislocated knee! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Julie, I hope your long work week goes smooth for you and that you get in some great relaxation the little time you're off in the evening.

Luv, congrats on that 9 lbs. lost! Way to go!

Joanna, I hope things start being more interesting and enjoyable for you this semester.

Quinn, I hope this week is more "unsloppy" for you. I know it's hard when you have so much to do. Show us how you can turn it around this week. :) I didn't get lunch, either, but mine was due to an appointment and then having to pick up my grandkids right after and then from there ran some errands. BUT then I had to eat small meals beginning with an early dinner in order to get in my requirements for protein and fiber. I made it on target. That's absolutely wonderful that you are staying in the +5 lb. range instead of the +25. You worked hard to get there, so you earned some strutting rights, too.

Mike, you certainly earned the right to strut around when you did 10 miles in just over two hours! Way to go!

Pam, wishing you a wonderful week as you prepare for the half marathon on Saturday.

Darlene, major kudos on the 5 lb. loss sticking! :D I'm consistent on my exercise type but that's because I basically hate exercise and walking on the treadmill at the Y or with my DVD at home is the least objectionable to me right now.

Lizzie, congrats on losing that 1.5 lbs. Here's hoping for the other 1.5 by next Monday. :)

Cassie, school traffic and a vet run do NOT sound like a fun way to start out the week. Hope tomorrow is better for you. I'm ready to share a really great green week with you.

Terri, maybe getting more sleep is the REASON you feel more calm. I don't like DH looking over my shoulder when I post here, either. I usually just minimize it because I don't want him invading my private space. I haven't talked to him about it, either. You go first with BF and then tell me what to say. LOL Well, congrats on continuing to lose while not even exercising. Ok, here's a nudge: remember that exercise doesn't just help us lose weight--it does a whole bunch of things to help keep our bodies working well. OMG, less than 10 lbs. from a healthy BMI--that's WONDERFUL!

Kay_in_PA 01-30-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 70916)
More power to you for doing 20 miles on the dreadmill. I find the road so much easier. This week you WILL get in your miles! Planning ahead is key, when I don't plan, I fall flat on my face... well gut.

I really prefer hiking, but there just aren't enough hours of daylight this time of year. I also have asthma, and exercising out in the cold is problematic. I agree that planning is key. I got off schedule tonight because my husband called and was especially chatty tonight. I ended up only having about an hour to walk, but I managed to get in 5 miles in 64 minutes. :D

01gt4.6 01-30-2012 01:22 PM

5 in 64 mins is hauling some serious...

Thank you Mern!

Mern 01-30-2012 01:34 PM

Monday Report

Calorie limit 1600 daily 1571
Net carbs limit 25g daily 22.3g
Fiber target 25g average 33g
Protein target 120g average 121g
Saturated fat average 12% or less 11%
Cholesterol average 300mg or less 171mg

Veggies/fruit 5 servings per day YES
Exercise 5 days YES
Water 60 oz. YES

Something wonderful: found out today that my eye fluid pressure is benefiting from my exercise five days a week and daily Omega-3 in flaxmeal and fish oil. I still have the incurable form of glaucoma, BUT the lower eye pressure with eye drops and lifestyle changes I've implemented will go a long way in stabilizing my eye health and possibly helping prevent further vision loss. :)

Mern 01-30-2012 01:42 PM

You're welcome, Mike. :)

I'm sleepy and am going to bed early tonight. Taking live-in GD to her college placement test tomorrow morning, so I won't be online until afternoon or evening. Gonna make myself go to the Y before I can post here.

Goodnight, y'all!

ToriD1012 01-30-2012 01:44 PM

Alright ladies and gentleman, I am hitting the sack. I'm moody and bitchy and the cat won't even come around me. We're gonna see if this thing called sleep is real or just an old wives' tale. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to my normal self. I did well for a Hungry Monday. Hope everyone else is doing good so far.

Health/Fitness-
1-under 1300--1133
2-drink more water--Y
3-no eating after 10 pm--going to bed before 10 so considering it a Y
4-walk at least 10--day off
5-workout 3X--day off
6-any weight loss is a plus--starting weight Monday morning 211.4

Life
1-don't take my problems out on others--hmmmm? not so well on this one today
2-pack pack pack--nope
3-enjoy last my last weekend with CN before he leaves:(
4-catch back up on paperwork--nope even further behind than I thought.....

connect1 01-30-2012 02:03 PM

Last week's posts

Hi all,

Almost 500 posts last week, holy smokes! I got back from my vacation (visited family in Nova Scotia) and "tried" to catch up on last week's posts but only made it about half way through.

I managed to stay on track for the most part; I even managed to make good choices at a market with all kinds of fat and sugar laden temptations. Maybe I am weaning myself off the sugar roller coaster because I really didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. My one downfall was while watching a movie one evening and I was offered potato chips (crisps for those of you across the pond). So much for portion control but I thought about the dropping one egg quote and didn't let it bother me as much as I might have in the past.

I went the gym twice (first time in many years) and it was very interesting to see how much time and effort it takes to burn off calories. I guess I knew it, but it was different seeing it for myself. I know that exercise is an important part of the equation and I plan to keep going, but this reminder of how much it takes to undo a poor choice is really strengthening my resolve to stick with healthy foods and portion control.

I also drank far more water than usual while I was away and am wondering how to do this now that I'm back at work. I know part of it is just because the people I was visiting place a big emphasis on drinking plenty of water but do any of you have suggestions how to do this in the workplace? About 1/2 my day is in front of a computer and the other 1/2 in meetings. You can't get much more sedentary than my job unless you're literally sleeping on the job. ;)

Tori, I hope Tuesday is a better day for you and that you manage to get a good night's sleep. I can relate.

Alison

taubele 01-30-2012 02:17 PM

connect, I find that making it a habit has been the best for me. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, too - or in a lab where I can't drink.

I try to set little water mini-goals. I try to get in 24 oz. of water by the end of lunch (I find if I sip some throughout the morning and get the rest in at lunch, that works). I then try to get another 24 in before I leave for the day. That can be all at once quickly, or in little spurts.

48 oz. at work might be too much for you at first -- that used to be 16 and 16 for me and I worked up to 24/24 :) But giving yourself a somewhat flexible time for a deadline might be best.

Also.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

I HAVE EATEN 4 SLICES OF PIZZA TONIGHT :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, it's thin crust and blah blah blah but it is PIZZA HUT.

Thank goodness I worked out, but seriously, I'm writing here to keep me away from the rest of the box. I have no idea where this terrible behavior of mine has come from. I like pizza, but it is usually not a siren's song as it is now...

connect1 01-30-2012 02:57 PM

Danger Will Robinson

It's been a long time since I heard that phrase!

I find I overeat in response to stress in my life, whether at work or in my personal life. I can't always identify what the stress is, but when I do, I find the "hunger" passes.

Thanks for the tips on drinking more water at work. I think I will get one of those refillable water bottles (no BPA and no metal - yuck) and see if that helps. Any recommendations?

fit4luv 01-30-2012 04:46 PM

Rewarding myself with posting here . . .

Joanna ~ I hope that your week goes well and that you can get yourself out of the "dump".

Quinn ~ I really hope that you can soon fight away those 5 lbs! Those pounds sound so stubborn. Great going on your Monday goals!

Cassie
~ Thanks for the extra push for this week. It means a lot to me to see others enthused.

Terri ~ Just want you to know that I'm cheering for your success with each of your goals this week. I'm sorry for difficulties you are experiencing. BTW -- Did you get your exercise in today like you wanted?

Mike ~ OK, that's what I must have read earlier. That is, about epidurals for your back. I just read through a book by Harvey Walden IV. It's called, No Excuses! Fitness Workout. His go-for-it attitude reminds me of you.

Oh sheeesh! 64 oz Water daily ?!:rolleyes: And here I thought I was challenging myself.

Well -- I did it thanks to you! I drank 64 oz water today. (smiling here)

Lizzie ~ http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rulez/t2041.gifYay! for your 1.5 lb wt loss. Now for another week of loss . . .

Pam ~ I too enjoy Mike's & Tori's bantering. Your words gave me the mental energy to focus on exercising today. I'm able to walk fast, but am avoiding twisting/lifting at this point due to weak lower back.

Awesome going on your goals these last few weeks! Sounds like you have an exciting event this coming Sat.

Darlene ~ Thanks for the encouragement. It truly helps me to stay motivated. 5 lbs gone ->http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rulez/t2046.gif Awesome!

almeeker ~ Oh well. I guess some people like to talk, but find it hard to act. I know that's how it's been for me, but I knew better than to whine about my own inaction.

Tori ~ Hope your night is nice and peaceful. I see some green shining through your goals!

Connect1-Alison ~ Welcome Back! Yea, this bunch is a chatty bunch -- seems like there is lots going on.

Mern ~ Thanks! Look at all your green - so cool. :cool: Oh my word! That's just too wonderful about your eye pressure. That really encourages me to continue with my Flax seed/Fish oil plan. I've glaucoma in my family history --- really prevelant. I'm so happy for you. All your diligence is paying off.

fit4luv 01-30-2012 05:05 PM

FitDay Challenge Check-in

FitDay Challenge
Check-In: Mon -
Daily = x6 wkly

FIT
FOCUS {1}
*Audio Bible (10 Chapt.) =

INTAKE {2}
*Veg (4 servings Low Carb daily) = Yes -
*Water (32 oz daily)= 64 oz -

TRAIN {2}
*Aerobic (150") = 30"
*Pedometer (12 mile) = 1.6 mi
*Tone = ON HOLD 'til back is better.

DAY - wkly
DAZZLE *Clean/Declutter (FlyLady Zones - 1' 15") =

ADMINISTRATE *Paper Trail (25") =

YARD (Outside) *Clean (20") =
.................................................. ..................

dar n 01-30-2012 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Amy I can’t imagine asking parents to change something they have no understanding of. I once witnessed two moms discussing heatedly why one child’s peanuts were a dangerous snack to have around her severely allergic child and the parent of the non allergy child actually said she should keep her child home if it was so dangerous.:eek:

Tori I hope your knee is better soon that really sucks.:(

Quinn Nice actuals today.

Mern I hope it was at least a good busy day. That’s great eye news and another great day for you.:)

Kay Wow 5 miles in 64 min is awesome.

Alison Glad you are back and happy you enjoyed your vacation.

Terri Give that pizza to your boyfriend just say “no”.

Fit4luv Thanks for the clapping smiley it made me grin.

I was distracted today by amazing cute little balls of fur we went out and looked at a few different puppies as it was recommended that it may help our dalmatian come out of her depression, yes I have a dog who's so neurotic that we are concerned about her. Supposedly most dogs mourn for about 5-7 days and then usually bounce back but she seems to be getting worse yet she acted like a puppy when playing with the pups at the vet today, so he said the distraction of a new friend may be the answer. So we may have narrowed it down to this little girl.

Attachment 279
Attachment 280

She is 8 weeks old and awfully cute my concern is that my cats are bigger then her.:rolleyes: Have a great night.

Goals:
Walk 25k: M=3.1k
Exercise 5 days: M=walk
Squats 5 days: M=N
Ab work 5 days: M=N
Calories less than 1400: M=1183
Calorie deficit of 5000 for week: M=-689
No sugar: M=N(cinnamon hearts)

almeeker 01-30-2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 70973)
yeah, you were parading around like a proud peacock.....;):p;):D

Bantam.

almeeker 01-30-2012 11:29 PM

Monday Check-in

Health:

1. Calories 1,400 M-Th & Sun, 1,600 F&S. 1,400
2. Water 100 oz daily. 100+
3. Calorie deficit 5,000. -1,228 (total -1,228)
4. Protein 25% or higher. 36%
5. Workout 6 hours. 75 min (total 1:15)
7. Steps on the pedometer 10,000 daily. 14,203
8. Log and report in daily INCLUDING WEEKENDS. Y
9. Take measurements on 2/1/12. Tomorrow

10. Weigh and post daily. 165.8, 163.2
Other Stuff:

1. Call mom about babysitting Friday night. N
2. Housework 30 minutes daily + 1 load of laundry. YY
3. Finish rabbit cage and start 2 more. Painted and bought plywood.
4. Plan Girl Scout calendar for February. N
5. Order GS badges. N
6. Keep spending to a min. $168.25
7. Send in prescriptions. BOO-YAH

I did pretty well yesterday, put in a good workout, kept calories to a minimum, drank my water, plus I got a ton of things accomplished, although I did not call my mother about Friday night. Oops! Maybe today I'll get that taken care of. Hopefully today will follow yesterday's example. I know it looks as if my spending goal got blown out of the water, but that was groceries for the week, a tank of gas, lumber for rabbit cages and a large piece of vinyl, and almost all of it executed with some serious coupon and/or sale shopping.

Mern, about this glaucoma pressure reversal with diet and supplements, that's fantastic! Please tell me more, my mother's side of the family runs rampant with it. If there is a way to avoid or at least lower the chance of getting a bad case, I'm in. I already do flaxseed and tuna roughly 3-5x/week, but I have never taken a fish oil supplement. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only short legged woman that thinks the treadmill should take your stride length into account. Although I have to admit my stride is longer than yours, but I intentionally concentrate on "long fast steps" when I'm working out. I easily keep pace with my workout partner and she's 5'-8".

Tori, sorry about the knees, hope they feel better soon. Dr. Amy prescribes "Ice, Elevate and Nsaids". I can commiserate with you on the "Hungry Monday", all day long yesterday I was singing "Sunday Bloody Sunday", only changing the words to "Monday Hungry Monday".

Mike, go Mike go, Boom Chicka Boom, go Mike go, Boom Chicka rock. Awesome!

Kay, yeah on the skinny skirt! I love it when that happens. And wow on the treadmill speed, I def would have to be running to make that pace.

Quin, sorry to hear that your buried in work, although I'm not surprised. Maybe you need to send in for a Wonder Woman costume for days like that? Okay maybe not that practical in your frozen climate, but it would be funny. Some job/task comes flying at you and you just whip up a bracelet and deflect it. Tink, ting, HA, take that!

Luv, awesome job on the 9lbs!!!! Whooo hooo hoo woman, so what are you doing to celebrate?

Pam, run Pam run, boom chicka rock. Good luck Saturday and I don't blame you one bit for not worrying about the calories this week.

Darlene, awesome job on the 5lbs. I wish I could say the same for my Christmas weight, very jealous of you here in Michigan. And I have to say that your potential new baby is absolutely adorable, but are you sure it's a dog? It looks more like a polar bear cub. Oh the dreaded peanut allergy, people that treat that like it's a joke should suffer an episode of it. My dd has a "peanut free" classroom, and there is a "nut-free" table in the cafeteria. But I've had to listen to more willful stupidity on that issue, than I care to think about. It's good I don't carry a stick, or I might be in prison. For the record I have never sent a "nut" treat to school, and I never will. It's flat out just not worth the risk.

Cassie, do you have kevlar gloves? Where do you get such a thing anyway? Well at least when you start the week like that, it stands to reason that the week will get better anyway.

Terri, is it possible you have "Fear of Success"? 10lbs woman that is dynamite, now get cracking. Don't make me come down there and drag you out to the gym, cause I would make Bob Harper look like a cream puff trainer. Okay that's it, I challenge you to 4 hours of exercise this week, no more excuses, no more whining, get your lazy butt off the couch and get 'er done! And if BF is going to be clingy, drag his slacker butt along with you, it'll do him some good.

Connect, I too use the "water spacing" plan, 1 bottle before breakfast, 1 between breakfast and lunch, one between lunch and supper, 1 after supper. Personally I like the Ice Mountain brand, not the water so much, but the bottle. It's a squeeze bottle, which somehow or another makes it easier to choke it all down more rapidly.

fit4luv, when my back hurts I find that it really helps to do abs (crunches only) and leg stretching (especially the hamstrings and calves). It has something to do with certain muscles getting stronger and the opposite muscles not being as strong, so the abs and the stretching help balance them out. It sounds crazy I know, but it always helps.

Funny story, so we bought that new buck bunny right? He's young so not yet "proven" in the procreation department. And the first couple of times we put the doe in with him, he just froze. It was sort of funny because the doe started sniffing his ears, which made him freeze all the more. So the plan has been to just keep putting her in his cage 1-2x day until something happens. You can't really leave them together all the time because does are territorial and sooner or later she will get aggressive towards him. Anyway, last night our dd put the doe in with the buck, and a few minutes later she runs in the house with the doe in her arms, screaming "mom, mom there's a problem". So she goes on to explain that the buck chased her bunny around and around really fast and then he jumped on her! DH and I just looked at each other and laughed our heads off. I eventually explained (trying very hard not to laugh) that his behavior is what we'd been waiting for, DD flounced off to put the doe back in with the buck, saying we really should have told her that before now! So I guess we'll have to put the doe back in with the buck again today, as DD probably interrupted at a somewhat critical moment. If I had just changed the "Birds and the Bees" conversation to "Rabbits" I suppose she would have been more prepared lol.

zyxst 01-30-2012 11:49 PM

Monday check-in:

From what I remember my goals being, I did great, even cleaned the shower. :) The downside is my computer and mouse died after I went to bed last night. Technically, it's my graphics card, but since I can't see anything on the monitor, it may as well be the whole computer. This would not be a problem because I could use hubby's computer, except he killed his mouse by accidentally dumping a glass of water on it. It's now living in a Tupperware container filled with rice. So I'm stuck using the laptop. I can't type properly due to the stupid touchpad (hover near it and the cursor moves) and I have to type with my hands too far away from me.

I'm drinking my last chocolate breakfast shake. It was a good idea to stop, but with this, I'm regretting it. Anywho, I think I caught all the spelling mistakes, but if I didn't, my apologies.

Mern 01-31-2012 12:06 AM

Kay, OMG, you are some walker! 5 miles in 64 minutes is really impressive!

Tori, your Monday report is grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Connect, it's nearly impossible to keep up afer missing just one DAY of posts here. Don't be concerned about catching up after a whole week of vacation. You did a fine job on food control, even considering the chips at the movie. Be proud of that! :) I know what you mean about burning the calories. I sweat like crazy just walking two miles on the treadmill to burn so few calories. But I still find myself cheating on the food from time to time. Wow, that's great that you can avoid stress overeating when you identify your stress!

Terri, nice tips on getting in the water in the workplace. Congrats on coming here to avoid the leftover pizza. :)

Luv, thanks for your kind words on my green Monday. My glaucoma is hereditary, too. My Mom went blind from it after she quit using her eye drops, due to losing her memory to an unlabeled form of dementia. She lived out of state with my step-father and we didn't know that was going on until it was too late. I had no idea that exercise and Omega-3 can further reduce eye pressure while using the eye drops until my new eye doctor's technician asked me what I've been doing differently in the past six months. I told her about my recommittment to a healthier lifestyle and when I told her what that entails, she said bumping up my exercise and increasing my omega-3 would account for the 3 point drop in my eye pressure in the past six months compared with the point at which it had stabilized over several years with the drops alone. :) I also don't have dry eye syndrome any more since bumping up my omega-3 fish oil. Our tears are made from omega-3.

Darlene, yes, my Monday WAS a GOOD busy day. Thanks. Gotta confess I was kinda "full of myself" about my better eye health, even though I had no idea it was a bonus from my healthier lifestyle for the past several months--I was almost strutting around like Mike with my chest puffed out. LOL OMG, the puppy is ADORABLE! I hope she works out. The cats may accept her as a kitten. LOL

Mern 01-31-2012 12:18 AM

Amy, with the type of glaucoma I have, the vision loss is irreversible and the glaucoma incurable, but I've been keeping my pressure down to around 18-19 for several years with the drops. You know it's the excess pressure which causes optic nerve damage that results in permanent vision loss. I was diagnosed with glaucoma with an eye fluid pressure of 22 (I don't know how that number goes--PSI or something?) The pressure unintentionally reduced to 15 with omega-3 just gives me a better hedge on my pressure creeping back up to a dangerous level. I have no idea about lowering the chance of getting a bad case of glaucoma with omega-3. All I know is what the technician told me yesterday. But I DO know patients with my type of glaucoma MUST faithfully use their eye drops to prevent going blind. The omega-3 just helps according to my doctor's technician. Woohoo on keeping up with your longer-legged workout partner on the walking!

kimbur96 01-31-2012 01:07 AM

I'm a little late getting started here I apologize. I had such insomnia sunday night i got up yesterday,monday, with like 3hours sleep under my belt. I made it to work and home to nap,then had some dinner and back to bed. I can't believe how exhausted i was. I think the new workout schedule/intensity is wearing me out too. I know i will adapt but it was obvious yesterday my body say hey were taking to day off wether you like it or not. lol

Anyway for this week my goals are pretty much the same:

Health
1) calorie 1600 or less per day
2) 64oz water or more
3) 5 x cardio
4) 5 x weights
5) eat more fruit and vegetables

Life
1) Be positive in my outlook
2) start a packing list for next weeks trip
3) balance the checkbook

quinnesec 01-31-2012 02:17 AM

Another crazy, busy, day unfortunately. But, I just wanted to stop in to remind myself of what I need to focus on first, which is my own health and stamina. And of course to wish all of you a fantastic day free of temptations, of the food kind! lol

It's going to be unusually warm here for the next few days, so I'm promising myself a hike in the woods as a top priority. :)

Enjoy your day!

quinn

quinnesec 01-31-2012 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 70982)

Quinn, do I win a prize? :)

You are the prize, my dear! ;)

fit4luv 01-31-2012 02:46 AM

Darlene ~ That pup is sooooo cute. I hope that it helps your dog to have another around.

almeeker ~ HaHa!!! That story is too funny with what your dd observed & how she expressed herself.

Thanks for the tips on back muscle strengthening. That's something I need to continue to work on. That's one reason I have for toning -- that back of mine.

Thanks for the compliment on my pound loss. Hmmmm.. .. I'll have to think about how to celebrate.

zyxst ~ awwww . . Sorry about computer problems. Just keep focused on your day-to-day goals! Then when computer problems are fixed you can easily tell us all about your successes.

Mern ~ You're a poster child for Omega-3! It truly is impressive. That's so sad about your mother losing her sight like she did.

kimbur ~ Nice to see you and your goals. Sounds like you could use a lot of R & R.

Quinn ~ Let us know how your hike went. That's why I come here too - to help me stay focused.

http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/profession/p0112.gif Now I need to FOCUS on creating a new me. . . . Here's to wishing you all a creative & focused day.

01gt4.6 01-31-2012 02:54 AM

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...t46/3count.jpg
Health and Fitness

1. Lose 3 pounds: (starting at 184.6)
2. Calorie deficient of 3k: -521
3. Workout 3 times: day off
4. Walk 3 times for at least 3 miles each: day off
5. 3 servings of fruit and veggies: yes
6. Drink 3 liters of water: yes
7. Fish oil 3 times per day: yes

Non Health and Fitness
8. Write 3 policies: 0
9. 3 Random acts of kindness: 0

I ended up taking off yesterday from any exercising. I'll pick back up today.

Quinn, Thanks, so I won myself? :)

Luv, Big congrats on doubling your intake of water!

almeeker 01-31-2012 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 71024)
Luv, thanks for your kind words on my green Monday. My glaucoma is hereditary, too. My Mom went blind from it after she quit using her eye drops, due to losing her memory to an unlabeled form of dementia. She lived out of state with my step-father and we didn't know that was going on until it was too late. I had no idea that exercise and Omega-3 can further reduce eye pressure while using the eye drops until my new eye doctor's technician asked me what I've been doing differently in the past six months. I told her about my recommittment to a healthier lifestyle and when I told her what that entails, she said bumping up my exercise and increasing my omega-3 would account for the 3 point drop in my eye pressure in the past six months compared with the point at which it had stabilized over several years with the drops alone. :) I also don't have dry eye syndrome any more since bumping up my omega-3 fish oil. Our tears are made from omega-3.

If omega-3 fish oil helps dry eye, I'm so in it's not even funny. I have dry eye and it's gotten a lot worse lately, I'm getting to be one of those old ladies that wipes her eyes all the time. Which makes them red and shows off the crows feet even better. Do you have a brand you like, or are they all about the same?

Mern 01-31-2012 03:14 AM

I exercised as promised before logging back on. Glad I got that done while waiting for live-in GD to call for me to pick her up from her college placement test.

Kim, no need to apologize for getting started. The only rule we have that I know of in this group is to be nice to each other--and we all do that. :) Aw, sorry about your insomnia. It surely can be debilitating. Tweak your excercise schedule if you need to. Goals can be changed any time you see fit--you don't have to finish out the week on something that's too much for you.

Amy, I looked a little online and from what I see it's not yet known exactly how much omega-3 can help with eye pressure as related to glaucoma, but the consensus seems to be that it CAN help. I had been taking 2000mg fish oil per day and read one should not take 4000mg without one's doctor's consent. I got that consent last September from my family doctor, which was about the time of my last eye doctor appointment. That and the exercise were the only changes in my lifestyle that might contribute to the lower eye pressure. I didn't see the eye doctor yesterday, just the technician who administered my vision field test and measured my eye pressure, but when the doc phones me with my test results, I'll try to remember to ask HER opnion on the Omega-3 helping reduce eye pressure. But I'm taking the 4000mg Omega-3 fish oil daily to lower my high triglycerides and high cholesterol, so her opinion won't change what I'm doing.

Luv, aw, thanks for your consideration for my Mom. I love your little icon for being creative and focused. :)

Mike, nice food and fitness accomplishments yesterday.

Quinn, you are so right--focus on your own health and stamina first. We can't take care of our charges and responsibilities if we're run down. I started out my day with a wierd breakfast--a bowl of homemade vegetarian veggie soup--so rich in flavor and satisfying that it'll keep the tempatation at bay for a while. :) Wishing you a temptation free day, too--and a great hike in the woods.

Aw, ain't that cute--Quinn sucking up to Mike that way. She wants to be his fave in the stable. :)

almeeker 01-31-2012 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 71057)
Aw, ain't that cute--Quinn sucking up to Mike that way. She wants to be his fave in the stable. :)

LOL, does that make us horses or mules?

Mern 01-31-2012 03:19 AM

Amy, my family doc approved Nature's Bounty fish oil, but I've heard NatureMade is also good quality. You could also ask your pharmacists opinion.

almeeker 01-31-2012 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 71059)
Amy, my family doc approved Nature's Bounty fish oil, but I've heard NatureMade is also good quality. You could also ask your pharmacists opinion.

Good to know, I think I have coupons for both kinds. Which means I'll buy whichever one goes BOGO first. I'll check with my pharmacist too, he's pretty helpful on stuff like that.

taubele 01-31-2012 03:31 AM

Mike: You'd never forget me... much ;) Thank you for the reminders AND the butt-kicking!

Lizzie: It's always good to be moving in the right direction! 1.5 lbs. is great, good luck on your goals this week!!

Pam: Thanks for the butt-kick and the reality check. I know that exercise is more important now than food, I just fell completely out of the habit of doing it. And exercise really DOES have to be a habit for me. You're right that I don't have the weather excuse, though I usually work out with DVDs. Maybe what I need is a good round of disc gold this weekend if the weather's right!! Also, I can't WAIT to see your marathon time, you know you're going to hit that goal!!!

Darlene: You make a good point, I should have my healthy weight firmly in my sights, and I need to focus more on it. I think I've just been adrift in stress and worrying for a month. Time for the game face!! And girl, I am like you in the morning, such a zombie -- working out in the AM is just a no-go. I'd faint dead away! Also, OMG, that puppy is precious!!

Tori: Ugh, your Monday sounds crazy - weird appetite, hurting knee. Don't overdo it, knee dislocations can be really tricky to get over!! I hope it feels better and that your body gets itslef out of whack!

quinn: This lifestyle thing sticks after awhile! You know you can totally focus this week, I'm rooting for you. Let's both get our game faces on!

Mern: LOL, when I got home from work yesterday BF was in misery with his allergies. I babied him for about 20 minutes, and then I gently reminded him that I needed to work out. He got right up and went in the other room and closed the door, giving me privacy. Then when I came on here to type about my pizza fiasco last night, he saw I was on the forums and asked "What are you writing about?" And I just told him - "Just writing about my day on the forums - they help keep me motivated." I didn't mention the pizza or exactly what I was writing, and he just sort of nodded and said "OK." I think my vague answer was enough to let him know I didn't want to discuss it. It's not that I can't be myself with him, he just doesn't exactly understand what I go through on a day-to-day, though he's very supportive. Maybe try that with DH?? GREAT news about your glaucoma, and WOOHOO for your all-green report!!!

connect: I'm a big stress/appetite person too. And the weird thing is this -- I find, after journaling about it, that I eat a lot when I feel like I am NOT in control of the stress (i.e., waiting to hear back from a job, maybe?? :eyeroll:) but when I am stressed but I CAN do something about it, I eat very low-cal. It's weird, but it's what I do. Maybe it's similar for you?

I actually drink out of an old plastic bottle at work that I've had forever -- a reuseable one is good, though! Just get one that you know how much it holds (16 oz., 24 oz., whatever) and then make a goal that makes sense for the bottle. It's easier to just chalk up "1 bottle, 2 bottle, 3 bottle..." and know how much is in there, at least for me!

Luv: I DID get in my exercise on Monday, woohoo! And thank goodness, because there was a pizza fiasco! Thank you for your support and encouragement. I'm cheering you on too! Your goals list is always awesome and really personal!

Amy: LOL! You're awesome, GREAT job on your Monday, woooohooooo!!! I wish you'd come drag me to the gym, I'd pay to see that! Seriously though, I think the 4-hour challenge is a PERFECT challenge for me. In the course of a week if I do my exercise it's usually somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours, so four hours is a stretch for sure but not impossible by any means. I don't back down, so I ACCEPT!!! What are the consequences if I don't do it?? Should I take a picture with a sign that says "Almeeker kicked my butt" in the mirror? Haha. Your story with your daughter is TOO precious, I don't know how you stopped laughing long enough to explain!

Weekly Goals

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals

1) Keep calories between 1200 and 1500. No single day over 1600. Weekly average around 1300. M: 1816 :o (Week Average: 1,816)
2) Exercise 3 times this week. M: Yes, 48 minutes (Total: 0 H, 48 M)
3) Calorie deficit of 5000 calories M: -621 (Week Total: -621)
4) Water between 64-80 oz. daily. More is better M: 96
5) Protein between 25-30% average for the week. M: 19% (Week Average: 19%)
6) No more than 2 lunches and 1 dinner out for the week M: Dinner out
7) In bed by 11:30 every night M: Yes
8) Weigh in Monday and Friday and post weight here M: 158.9
9) Cook one new recipe this week M: Not yet

Other Life Goals

1) Clean one room every day, no excuses M: Rooms were clean - did a load of laundry instead!
2) Call my grandmother M: No - e-mailed her, though
3) Clean out the car M: No
4) Write something wonderful that happened to ME every day (I tend to report things happening to others, haha!) M: I got support here on the forums when I needed it :) AND I got my workout in!
5) Make an effort on my appearance every day! M: yes

Ok, so the calories went a little over my 1600 cap yesterday, but it could have been worse. What happened was, while I was working out, BF decided to order Pizza Hut. After I finished my workout (around 7), I went in back and asked what was for dinner. He was like PIZZA!! And told me it would be there in like 5 minutes. I kind of just made O_O face at him, and he said he got pizza to reward me for trying to get back into my exercise routine. I just wanted to scream that PIZZA IS NOT THE WAY TO REWARD ME FOR GETTING HEALTHY but I appreciated the thought. I told him next time to make me a smoothie, lol

Anyway, I was really hungry after my workout and when the pizza got there, I just got tunnel vision and gobbled down four large slices before I even came up to breathe. I'm just calling it pizza hypnosis. If you want to know, it was four large slices of thin crust pizza with chicken, mushrooms, red onion and green pepper. It was delicious, but at 720mg sodium a slice PLUS the high-sodium lunch I had yesterday, my sodium bloated to over 3500mg yesterday!!!! YIKES! I can sort of feel it today, too.

I had a doc's appointment this morning and their scale showed 163.1 -- however, after a high sodium day, + clothes on and after having eaten breakfast, I'm taking that number with a grain of salt. My BP, iron levels, and heart rate were all good (my BP for once did NOT show up low... it was 115/76 ... I guess I was nervous? I haven't had a BP that high in about 3 years) so I was happy with the otherwise good-health report.

Amy! You will note that I have added a counter for the minutes and hours I work out this week. Four hours is going to be a real challenge for me, but I think if I work out my prescribed 3 times with the DVD AND make sure to get out and do a round of disc golf this weekend, I will hit it. And I hereby vow that if we don't disc gold for whatever reason this weekend, I will get my exercise in some other way this weekend. I have a bar to hit!!

Happy Tuesday all,

~Terri

almeeker 01-31-2012 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by taubele (Post 71061)
Amy! You will note that I have added a counter for the minutes and hours I work out this week. Four hours is going to be a real challenge for me, but I think if I work out my prescribed 3 times with the DVD AND make sure to get out and do a round of disc golf this weekend, I will hit it. And I hereby vow that if we don't disc gold for whatever reason this weekend, I will get my exercise in some other way this weekend. I have a bar to hit!!

4 hours is a cake walk sister, you can do it, in fact you have to or you will face public humiliation on this thread and quite possibly on facebook, so there, HAH get it done. If you wuss out and give up, you have to dress like Larry the Cable guy (complete with fake or real arm pit hair poking out from your sleeveless flannel shirt) and post a pic here on Monday morning, so we can all make fun of you and your bodily noises/functions. And I'll add that if BF interferes, he has to dress up as Mimi from the Drew Cary Show. There is that motive enough for you?

almeeker 01-31-2012 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by taubele (Post 71061)
Amy: LOL! You're awesome, GREAT job on your Monday, woooohooooo!!! I wish you'd come drag me to the gym, I'd pay to see that! Seriously though, I think the 4-hour challenge is a PERFECT challenge for me. In the course of a week if I do my exercise it's usually somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours, so four hours is a stretch for sure but not impossible by any means. I don't back down, so I ACCEPT!!! What are the consequences if I don't do it?? Should I take a picture with a sign that says "Almeeker kicked my butt" in the mirror? Haha. Your story with your daughter is TOO precious, I don't know how you stopped laughing long enough to explain!

I had to bite the inside of my cheek, and even that wasn't enough to keep a completely straight face. DD is a rather serious child and doesn't take being laughed at very well, she's really smart and had been sort of poking me about the "how" of it as we discussed getting a male rabbit or taking her rabbit to a breeder. But she's 10, we just had the talk about "puberty" maybe a month ago, so as a mother I was struggling with the "how much do I tell her" business. You see my own mother is a nurse and when we had that conversation, she basically turned me into the Dr. Ruth of 4th grade. I haven't decided yet if that was a good or bad thing.

ToriD1012 01-31-2012 04:01 AM

Good Morning All!!

I FINALLY got a full nights sleep last night. I didn't even fully wake up when Jas was walking on my head around 3 this morning, just kinda shooed her away. I'm not even a lil bit bitchy today either, so that's good. My drivers appreciated it today. I have, however, been slammed at work. To the point where I was SO behind it was starting to really get to me. I really dislike being behind schedule. I knew how many drivers were waiting and I was itchy to get it all done. To the point I couldn't stand still. And now that everyone is out, I'm peaceful again. Getting ready to find some lunch and have some quiet meditation time.

Check on y'all later!!

taubele 01-31-2012 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 71068)
4 hours is a cake walk sister, you can do it, in fact you have to or you will face public humiliation on this thread and quite possibly on facebook, so there, HAH get it done. If you wuss out and give up, you have to dress like Larry the Cable guy (complete with fake or real arm pit hair poking out from your sleeveless flannel shirt) and post a pic here on Monday morning, so we can all make fun of you and your bodily noises/functions. And I'll add that if BF interferes, he has to dress up as Mimi from the Drew Cary Show. There is that motive enough for you?

Public humiliation!!!! I accept! I'm sure I have a sleeveless flannel somewhere... or BF does! I'll let him know about Mimi too -- in fact I am texting him right now and he's saying he's gonna march me out there and make me jog on the disc golf course if I need to.

Speaking of which - I want to make sure disc golf counts? It's like regular golf, so there's lots of walking, except you stop to throw a frisbee rather than hit a golf ball, and the distances are mostly-shorter. If that doesn't count I'll make myself jog between holes, will that suffice? I can't run with the bad ankle, but jogging I can do with a brace.

And hey, you'll be better than my mom with the birds and bees conversation -- she came while my sister and I were in the bathtub at age 7 or so and brought a cucumber as a prop! :eek:

wildbeanerz 01-31-2012 04:55 AM

You guys are cracking me up this week! I need it.

I have a lot going on so won't be posting goals this week just wanted to check in so you know that I am alive. The stress that I have been trying to get through life while pretending it doesn't exist mutliplied this weekend more than I can count. And I'm still doing my best to go through daily life without everyone in the world asking what's wrong. I just can't handle that question right now without tearing up or actually crying.

I am doing fine health/fitness wise. I'm up about 1-1/2 lbs this week for TOTM so I'm not even concerned about that. I'm just going to keep doing what I know how and that is portion control and exercise. I did let the exercise go during the end of last week but I'm getting back at it tomorrow morning bright and early.

ToriD1012 01-31-2012 05:16 AM

April-my advice would be to take a few minutes and just go chill for a little bit. Wishing you peace of mind as you go through this time.

wildbeanerz 01-31-2012 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 71080)
April-my advice would be to take a few minutes and just go chill for a little bit. Wishing you peace of mind as you go through this time.

Thanks Tori. I do that as often as I can but my desk is one of customer service with the public (our customers) so I can't be all red & puffy when they come in or they start asking if I'm okay too and it just gets worse from there.

Mern 01-31-2012 06:40 AM

April, huge hug to you and know that I'm keeping you in my prayers. Kudos on the portion control and exercise, but it looks like you need stress relief more. On the other hand, if it makes you feel better to have control over that, then go for it.

Amy, that is the cutest story about DD with the buck humping the doe. LOL I got a SUPER deal on Nature's Bounty last week. Our Walgreens chain pharmacy had BOGOF plus I had a $3 off coupon on fish oil and also BOGOF on my vitamin D3 plus a $1 off coupon. I got $74 worth of supplements for $33. As I'm sure all of us here do, I reached to the back of each row to get the ones with the furthest expiration dates.

Terri, I'm almost hoping you fail so I can see a pic of you dressed like Larry the Cable Guy--but sans pit hair! LOL Disc golf is great exercise. OMG, are you SERIOUS about the birds and bees story with the cucumber?

Tori, so glad to hear you got a good night's sleep! Wishing you a peaceful day.

taubele 01-31-2012 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 71085)

Terri, I'm almost hoping you fail so I can see a pic of you dressed like Larry the Cable Guy--but sans pit hair! LOL Disc golf is great exercise. OMG, are you SERIOUS about the birds and bees story with the cucumber?

I'm afraid I am. :eek: She didn't use it as a prop persay to show anything, but she was using it to show how a guy's anatomy is different from a lady's anatomy. I still to this day don't know why she thought she needed a prop, but I've never really thought to ask her about it.

As an adult, my response to that is "In a man's dreams!" since she used a fairly prodigious cucumber. :cool:

To be fair, I've never forgotten that conversation. But I totally became the little know-it-all at school and blabbed to all my friends about boys and cucumbers. I don't want to know how many angry phone calls my mom got - she never said a word, though.

jbuschur 01-31-2012 07:29 AM

That is great news about your eyes Mern! It is so great to have all your hard work pay off in such an important way, I'm so happy for you!

Julie

jbuschur 01-31-2012 08:10 AM

Monday Goal Check in

Hi everyone, I'm late checking in today because I had to work out at a client's most of the day and I just got back. Of course, after dodging birthday cupcakes here at my office yesterday, they were my favorites, they had chocolate peanut butter cake for a birthday at the office I was at today! I was able to say no to both, but you know how it can be, people push and push, probably because they want you to join them in eating what they know they shouldn't be eating either so they don't feel so bad! Anyway, glad that's over and I'm on track for the day!

1200-1400 cals 1220
80 oz water64 oz
Treadmill T-Th-Sat
5000 steps on non TM days 3491
8000 steps on TM days
Weights and Floor Exercises at least 3 times.No
Post here every dayYes

Today will be a bit higher calorie day, but still within my limits, hoping to do some weights and floor stuff this evening if I not too late here at the office. Have a great afternoon everyone!

Julie