Notices

Different Motivations

Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default Different Motivations

Hi
I wonder how many different types of motivation people use out there to look at what they have to loose when its a large amount. I realised yesterday that having lost 6lbs since the start of Fitday, I only have to do that 30 more times. Probably seems silly to some but that made it LOOK incredibly achievable as there is lot of weight to shift. Anyone else have some ideas on making it a bit easier to cope with looking a big numbers? L
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM
FitDay Member

By the way, if I did do that amount, I would be a fantastic ideal weight, that I have never seen other than when I would have been too young to be that weight! so its possibly not even that bad. More likely then that it should be 28.5 times.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

When I'm logging my food and have a higher calorie day than expected I look back for the average of the week that puts it in perspective.

Me personally, I go one day at a time, sometimes I can string 3-4 days together when I have done my best in exercise and nutrition. I figure it's all in the practice. I eventually will become unconciously competent instead of my current conciously competent.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

Smile No -You are not silly!

Well, what I like to do is focus on my daily habits. As I learn to think, and then act fit, my prizes begin to come in. My prizes are weight-loss, more firm muscle/less flab, more energy, better blood levels and so on. What I really want to do is sit on my dh's lap & for him to be able to pick me up.

I hope to be thin and fit.

5 lb increments: On my journey I am number crunching with 5 lb increments of weight loss. When I've stayed under each 5 lb increment for a bit, then that's when I "lock" it in. For instance, when I next reach 209 lb and no longer go 210 lb or upwards -- Then is when I lock in my next 5 lb loss. (I will "lock" in the total 10 lb wt loss @ 210 lb.)

I totally am going by my scales at home, even though my records at my Doctor's office shows 10 lb loss. I guess if you look at my signature you may understand better what I'm doing.

ETA: I like your statement, crazigerl. "I eventually will become unconciously competent instead of my current conciously competent."

Spamley ~ It's too overwhelming when thinking only of the big picture. I think your strategy of breaking it down into smaller goals is an excellent thing to do.

Last edited by fit4luv; 01-28-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM
FitDay Member

I love unconsciously competent! brilliant description. I would put me early in on the road to consciously incompetent! Many years ago I was always about 7lb overweight (early 1980's) and the thing to do was that all the women got together and joined the local slimming group - mother, sister in law etc etc. At about 16yrs old and half a stone overweight, I wish I had left well alone. I did know how to count calories though.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 PM
FitDay Member

I agree with the daily habit thing. DH and I shifted a load of wood yesterday and I decided to wear the kit I have bought for when we attempt the gym. It made me feel energetic and reinforced the idea I was doing my body some good. Added to which, wanting to be comfy I bought a very slightly larger size which by the end of yesterday I realized was not practical at all and I needed two sizes smaller. Whilst it isn't due to an hours work out moving logs it does feel good to be going smaller already!! power of the mind!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fit4luv
Well, what I like to do is focus on my daily habits. As I learn to think, and then act fit, my prizes begin to come in. My prizes are weight-loss, more firm muscle/less flab, more energy, better blood levels and so on. What I really want to do is sit on my dh's lap & for him to be able to pick me up.

I hope to be thin and fit.

5 lb increments: On my journey I am number crunching with 5 lb increments of weight loss. When I've stayed under each 5 lb increment for a bit, then that's when I "lock" it in. For instance, when I next reach 209 lb and no longer go 210 lb or upwards -- Then is when I lock in my next 5 lb loss. (I will "lock" in the total 10 lb wt loss @ 210 lb.)

I totally am going by my scales at home, even though my records at my Doctor's office shows 10 lb loss. I guess if you look at my signature you may understand better what I'm doing.

ETA: I like your statement, crazigerl. "I eventually will become unconciously competent instead of my current conciously competent."

Spamley ~ It's too overwhelming when thinking only of the big picture. I think your strategy of breaking it down into smaller goals is an excellent thing to do.
We all look at it differently don't we? My daughter is wanting to loose weight and doesn't want to look at numbers. I guess she figures that if she is sticking to what she knows is right the weight will come off anyway.One way of doing it and not getting caught up in the number crunching. good to hear what others do. thanks for responding. Its all positive. L
Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 PM
FitDay Member

Hey Spam, great topic starter.. well for me i have A LOT of weight to loose overall at least 15 stone! Firstly i motivate myself by doing monthly goals on fitday. Since the start of January i have lost 12 lbs and next week on my weigh in will be 2 or more lbs off for me to reach my goal of a stone in a month. I also think about my previous failed attempts at dieting, all my life i have struggled, but this time that clog in my brain has finally started turning. I remember all the info on what my doctor told me, all the risks of heart disease, diabetes and HAVE to keep myself motivated to live a happy and healthy life. Especially if i want children, i have PCOS so my motivation cannot slip or slide now i have to loose this weight once and for all. I really hope you loose your weight xxx
Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I stay motivated by getting on the scale every day. I don't freak out if I don't lose any weight, but seeing that number motivates me to keep my calories under control. I also stay motivated by my kids. They can't wait for the day they can reach all around me for a hug. I can't wait either!