Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12 >

The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12

Community
Notices

The Holidays are OVER, NO MORE EXCUSES, Motivational Thread Starting 1/9/12

Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Darlene, that's an awesome motto. Why do I have a feeling that if you're not in the top 15% your still going to try to hustle me into wearing pink again?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh Darlene,
You have my thoughts and prayers that you too are in the 85%.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 PM
FitDay Member

It's amazing how we always think "not me" I have to admit "me" is kind of scary but when I talked to my friend at church today she said talk, we don't talk enough about it and hopefully I can share what I learn today I learned:

85% of lumps are benign.
Cysts are common in women in their 30's, 40's,50's.
Fibroadenoma are common in pregnant women and women in their 20's.
Pseudolump are common in women who have had breast enlargement or reductions preformed.
Breast cancer is the least common lump found in women.
20% of women who find a lump do not inform their dr's immediately
In Canada an estimated 23,400 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 5,100 will die of it.
An estimated 190 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 55 will die of it.
One in 9 women is expected to develop breast cancer during their lifetime and one in 29 will die of it.
Breast cancer death rates have declined in every age group since at least the mid 1980s.
The five-year relative survival rate from female breast cancer has increased over the last 10 years to approximately 83%.

For all you newcomers Mike walked in a breast cancer awareness marathon a couple months back and encouraged us all to be more involved in our breast health I am grateful I became more involved!

I am waiting to hear from the hospital my dr has requested a mammogram and an ultra sound and in the meantime I am praying for it to be a cyst. Have any of you had cysts or been through this type of scare? Please share your knowledge with me and for those of you who haven't checked your breasts recently DO IT!

On a growing me note I have stopped stuffing my face and I am sharing my fears instead of trying to be everyone's rock I am leaning on the strength and comfort of others.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Darlene, I am so touched that you were able to take away something from my harassing that I subjected y'all to during the entire month of October. Early detection is critical. I pray that this is only a scare and that you'll take this scare and turn it into something positive by spreading the word and possibly helping someone else later down the road. At that moment you feel the same joy that I feel as I type this!

Ladies remember that breast cancer doesn't only strike in October. Check yourself on a regular basis! Early detection can be the difference between life and death.

How many of y'all are going step up and have "make an appointment for a mammogram" as one of next weeks goals? Anyone that is overdue for their exam, now's your time. If you've never had one, from what some of the ladies here have said, it's not that bad. Even if it were, I'm sure it's better than the alternative.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
FitDay Member

Darlene, I hope you fall into that 85%, but if you don't, don't panic. Remember that breast cancer is one of the most treatable forms of cancer when detected early. When I was 14 my mother (who was only 39 at the time) found a lump in her breast. The initial mamogram indicated that it was cyst, but an irregular cyst. They decided to do a biopsy to see what was up. It turned out to be a very small tumor encapsulated by a cyst. Since it was a very small tumor and there was limited tissue involvement my mother opted for a lumpectomy in which they removed just the affected tissue and took some lymph nodes. She had radiation treatment as follow up, but did not need chemotherapy.

She will be 65 this year and has been cancer free. The amazing part is that she had an especially aggressive type of tumor and her oncologist informed her that if it had not been for the cyst, the tumor could have easily developed into a stage IV cancer before before it was large enough to be detected as a lump. When I turned 39 last spring, it was very strange to realize that I am now the age my mother was when she was diagnosed with cancer. Talk about awareness!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Kay Thank you for sharing and what a blessing your mother has had in staying cancer free. I think you said something very wise: It's strange for many of us to think we are the age of our mothers and things like heart disease, blood pressure, high cholesterol and breast cancer are all things we should be more knowledgeable about and proactive in our own care. I just spoke to a friend who is also 45 she has never had a mammogram, never done self exams and has not seen her dr in over three years her thinking is she would rather not know. Your moms story is exactly why we should know!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dar n
has not seen her dr in over three years her thinking is she would rather not know. Your moms story is exactly why we should know!
Sadly, I lost an aunt to uterine cancer for this very reason. Darlene, you are in my thoughts. I'm hoping that the next report is that it was nothing to worry about; if not, I'm praying for successful treatment. The turnaround in your mindset is inspiring and I admire you. You sound as if you can handle anything, and I'm glad you have so much support. Take care of yourself.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
FitDay Member

Mike I will make have a mammogram my goal for next week, oh wait it already is.
I will take all the prayers you can send my way.
I had only been around our forum for a month went you started your breast cancer awareness talks, coincidence I say not, which is why I will find the courage to talk about this because if it helps anyone get more involved with their health care it will be worth it.Thanks for your boldness to speak on a subject that many women seem to not talk enough about.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie Thanks I am not sure if I can handle anything but I am sure that I have amazing support and I have to stop this brave face behavior,I can be scared and still be ok. I am trying to be positive around hubby and kids as I don't want them to worry until we have all the tests back and as I said before hopefully it's nothing. I do have you guys and a few good friends that I can lean on and talk about how I really feel and even though that's not my style it is healthier then keeping all my worries to myself and maybe that's the lesson I am supposed to learn.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dar n
Mike I will make have a mammogram my goal for next week, oh wait it already is.
I will take all the prayers you can send my way.
I had only been around our forum for a month went you started your breast cancer awareness talks, coincidence I say not, which is why I will find the courage to talk about this because if it helps anyone get more involved with their health care it will be worth it.Thanks for your boldness to speak on a subject that many women seem to not talk enough about.
You should still put it as a goal. Maybe someone else will see it and follow your lead. It probably wasn't a coincidence, I'm just glad that I was able to talk about it. Equally happy that the women haven't booted me out yet. I'm sure as you know by now, there aren't too many things that I won't talk about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.