Notices

Trying again...

Old 01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
FitDay Member

Default Trying again...

I am back on Fitday to try this weightloss journey yet again. After leaving the military in 1996, I pretty much gave up on staying fit. I swore I would never run or do another push-up in my life. What stupid logic that was. Now I'm 45 and find every single pound is a struggle to get off. I just moved to third shift a couple months ago, so now I find it even more difficult to find the time to exercise. Will I ever get used to sleeping during the day? Will I ever get on a normal schedule? Will I stay motivated to lose this weight this time? I sure hope so.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by msclark40
I am back on Fitday to try this weightloss journey yet again. After leaving the military in 1996, I pretty much gave up on staying fit. I swore I would never run or do another push-up in my life. What stupid logic that was. Now I'm 45 and find every single pound is a struggle to get off. I just moved to third shift a couple months ago, so now I find it even more difficult to find the time to exercise. Will I ever get used to sleeping during the day? Will I ever get on a normal schedule? Will I stay motivated to lose this weight this time? I sure hope so.
Yes - you can break through barriors in your life that make it difficult to be healthy. This is a great place for encouragement. I hope you will stick around!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:31 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Ugg, you have my sympathy for working the 3rd shift. It is tough, but not impossible to reach your goals, so keep looking forward. Sometimes it isn't about "finding" time, but "making" time. Just start with the little things like not taking elevators, parking at the back of the lot, and taking your coffee and lunch breaks while walking. You can do this, as many here will attest.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm finding things so difficult. I work from home and working third shift are my two biggest problems. I find myself thinking alot.. the fridge is right there... I have the munchies for something to snack on while I'm sitting here bored to death and then boom, before I know it, I've downed an entire box of cookies or crackers. What's sad is I have to find reasons to get out of the house at all. I'm seriously thinking about joining a gym because I figure it would kill two birds with one stone, the weight thing and having a reason to get out of the house other than going to the grocery store. I never would have thought working from home would make me such a shut-in. Ah, but, not giving up this time. It may take me forever but I will get there. I just need to find other things to do and think of things I can do outside of the house to get myself back in the mood for being healthy. It has become so easy to be complacent and lazy.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm finding things so difficult. I work from home and working third shift are my two biggest problems. I find myself thinking alot.. the fridge is right there... I have the munchies for something to snack on while I'm sitting here bored to death and then boom, before I know it, I've downed an entire box of cookies or crackers. What's sad is I have to find reasons to get out of the house at all. I'm seriously thinking about joining a gym because I figure it would kill two birds with one stone, the weight thing and having a reason to get out of the house other than going to the grocery store. I never would have thought working from home would make me such a shut-in. Ah, but, not giving up this time. It may take me forever but I will get there. I just need to find other things to do and think of things I can do outside of the house to get myself back in the mood for being healthy. It has become so easy to be complacent and lazy.
It is tough to work from home. Plus third shift. Be good to you. Make sure you cook yourself healthy food. It will inspire you to eat well. Start small. Maybe start first with something like a balanced 1st meal of the day, (Be it breakfast, lunch or dinner...) it will kick start the rest of the days habits. I am that way when it comes to drinking water. If I get that first glass of water down by 9:00 am, I know I will drink the rest of my water today.

I'm glad that you are on the 15 in 15 group. I look forward to losing weight with you!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
FitDay Premium Member

One thing that will really help is to rid your house of all the unhealthy snacks you know aren't good for you. I don't know how many people, family members, etc share your abode, but do your best to make them understand that certain foods just can't in the house, or at least in common areas everyone shares. There a couple of moms here that insist that holiday treats be kept in kid's rooms or away from the kitchen. I don't know if that is possible, but "out of sight... out of mind" is very true.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh, 1 more thing. Instead of just focusing on what you will and will not eat, try to add social activities. Things that get you out of the house, but are not tied to food. Book clubs, an exercise class, or other interactive hobbies really helps to reduce the isolation I sense you are feeling.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the forums. Believe in yourself and you will succeed! I have had a good first 5 days using this mindset. I am feeling better already and know I am making better decisions!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

I am a stay at home mom, so the kitchen is always there! One thing I do is make sure I have a lot of options that are good for me available. Then I give myself a choice. Tangerine or cookies? Carrots or candy? I have the choice. If I choose the cookies, that means I have to radically adjust my plans for the rest of the day. Making a plan ahead of time for the day really helps me. I know what my meals are, how many calories they have, and how many calories I have left for snacks. It really helps me feel in control. And I love that feeling!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Good luck - just write everything you eat and the weight will fall off. Try restricting your calories to just those from food rather than all the snack and biscuits etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.