Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas) >

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas)

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas)

Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

Health / Fitness...
1. 80oz water daily M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes,
2. Limit one diet soda dailyM: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes,
3. No extra salt M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes,
4. Exercise 5 times W-Sun W: 65min, Th: 50min, Weekly total 1hr 55min
5. Walk 4 out of 5 work days (unless raining) M: 1.5m, T: Raining, W: Raining,
6. No junk in my mouth M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes,
7. Post weight daily (need to lose 5.6lbs to get back to last Monday)... M: 280.2, T: 278.2, W: 277.0, Th: 276.6, 3.6lbs lost so far this week

Life goals...
1. Take a few minutes to de-stress daily not including walk at work M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes,
2. List something each day I am thankful for
M: a wonderful support system at home, T: a great place to work with awesome people, W: got a surprise phone call and my dad is coming in this weekend

Yesterday was a very good day. I was a little surprised to have finished with a loss to post this morning because I ended the day with a bowl of honey nut cheerios. Probably not my best choice but I passed up a lot of other stuff to eat them. I got a surprise phone call from my dad last night saying that he was passing through our way on Friday evening. He was never able to go anywhere for about 7 yrs with his wife being ill so now he and his new gf are getting out and about. I offered them to stay the night and then go onto their destination Saturday and he accepted so I have company Friday night/Saturday morning. It is so nice to be able to see him again.

Mike ... I agree with you on the murder. I think that if more people died the same way that they killed someone there would be less murders. ... Maybe the ice cream girl was flirting with you...just a lil bit ... I belong to a boxer forum and we exchange Christmas cards with our dogs on them. I so love sending out and receiving back all the cards with the great pics on them. My hubby always gets our mail but he never opens my boxer cards. He always leaves them for me.

MH ... Do you like Christmas gifts? Just a little bit maybe? ... HAHA I love your excitement!!

Joanna ... Reading the description of your homework I was like...say what??? ... Pink hair? I have never dyed my hair at all. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Pam ... You are doing really great on your goals this week!

Darlene ... I love how you are spending so much quality time with your parents. And you are rocking your Christmas preparations. I really can't wait until my boys are older and have their own families to bring home to me for the holidays. Right now it is just the four of us because our families aren't close knit. But then again I kind of like it that way too. Our bond in our home is very strong.

Cassie ... Good weigh in vibes for you today. Oh and how much does the big kitty weigh?

Quinn ... It is odd that you can keep your calories in check but just because you ate extra carbs you aren't losing. Crazy how our bodies work. And what is true for one person may not be true for another. Hang in there. You will get it back.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quinn (or anyone),

I know there is a lot of talk around here that says it's calories in vs calories out and there's talk about it being WHAT you eat. This is my thoughts on this and IMO it makes sense, if anyone has another opinion I'd love to hear it.

When trying to lose weight:
I think when you are heavy (big, fat, living large, whatever you want to call it) it can simply be about calories in vs. calories out.

It goes beyond that:
The closer you get to your "ideal" or "healthy" weight the more difficult it gets, not only to lose weight in general but to maintain (or gain) muscle mass. At this point I think that WHAT you eat becomes more critical as your body fights to hang on to what it can. Your body will NEED the nutrients more than ever. (basing this theory on the same person, b/c age, hormones, etc also play a huge role!)

I'm sure that not everyone here wants to be ripped and muscular but I'd bet that NOBODY here wants to be skinny fat! Who wants to be flabby at any weight?

There can be a HUGE difference in body composition in two people (or the same person) of the same height and weight.

Can someone at 5'10" 170 and someone at 5'10" 350 pounds both lose weight on a deficient of 500 calories a day? Yes, but I'd bet that the person at 170 would be more concerned with sculpting the look of his/her body and the at 350 is more focused on what the scale reads and how soon he/she can get down to an XXL shirt.

Once again, this is MY opinion and I do not speak for FitDay.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-17-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

April, I don't think that was it. She was maybe 20, probably just wanting a tip b/c she brought it out to me while I was in the drive thru line. I tipped her.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
April, I don't think that was it. She was maybe 20, probably just wanting a tip b/c she brought it out to me while I was in the drive thru line. I tipped her.

Maybe she was just practicing her flirting skills. Girls like to flirt. Oh and the tip was probably an added benefit.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

April, I'm glad I'm not the only one who took that as a flirtatious comment! It's good you have a chance to see your dad. I'm seeing my brother for the first time in seven years at Thanksgiving...he lives in Colorado and we are never able to travel at the same times, so I'm really, really excited. I wouldn't sweat the Honey Nut Cheerios. Seems like everything else balanced out for you. I'm a firm believer in eating what you want to eat occasionally (and planning for it) to have something to look forward to, to control sweet cravings, and to prevent going overboard. Glad you showed a loss today.

Mike, hope you enjoyed your Blast! I think you put the thoughts about losing and maintaining very well. I share your thoughts.

Quinn, this is very weird how we binge, gain, lose, and plateau at the same times; others seem to as well, based on reports here also . Can't be climate; maybe the amount of light, phases of the moon, time spent in various types of eating, who knows? If I had any desire to return to school, it would be an interesting research project to see if there's anything scientific to that (wow, I miss Terri). I've plateaued, too, and it's a little harder this week after such an in-control week last week. Rawr . Part of my problem this week is trying to finish up leftovers, fruits,yogurts, and veggies that will go bad if I leave town Saturday without using them!

Pam, it's good to have you over here on this thread! You sound like you're doing really well. Has Humphrey kitty fully recovered? Have fun with those nails...only one of mine needs nails trimmed, and it's my most laid back cat (thank goodness). Work is cyclical; it always is, but no matter how much I have, last minute referrals are always crazy even if nothing else is in the queue. I still have my solo practice but also joined a group across town six days a month, for a number of reasons. Still getting used to it.

Good luck, Joanna!

mhibdon, so good to have you back. I feel like jumping up and running a mile when I hear the energy in your posts. Hope you're staying warm...another cold snap!

Darlene, enjoy your shopping day!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 11-17-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

April, you're probably right. It could have been innocent flirting, I think everyone does that.

Cassie, thanks. I actually wrote that this morning before taking my Adderall and I was actually able to make heads or tails out of what I was trying to say.

Speaking of ADD and being able to focus, did you know that Glutamine is supposed to help with that?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Ladies, has anyone tried the one side weighted bench press yet? If so, did you like it and should I post that tip in the exercise section?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

Ladies, has anyone tried the one side weighted bench press yet? If so, did you like it and should I post that tip in the exercise section?
Only if you also put the disclaimer to ONLY do it with a spotter and to make sure to stay symmetrical. I've attempted something similar, but I'm not a fan. (I also had a shitty spotter and I probably wasn't strong enough to attempt, but still. Not. A. Fan.)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

April, you're probably right. It could have been innocent flirting, I think everyone does that.
Hmmmm, I don't think age has much to do with flirting . I'm 54 and still like to flirt with the young guys at the gym, yoga etc. Not in a creepy, cougar kinda way (at least I hope not), but just a fun, mostly innocent "I enjoy your company and your attention" kinda way.

Mike your customer strategy is wonderful. Karma, dude!

As far as the eating thing, calorie in/calorie out. I have long thought that there is more too it. Part of it (I am sure, but don't have any experimental proof) is that not all foods are completely digested to their smallest components. One of the reasons (IMO/Scientific knowlege) that simple sugars and simple carbs can increase weight is that every bit of that carbon is available and turned to fuel for your boody. In fact the digestive breakdown starts in your mouth. Whereas more complex proteins and fats are harder to break down into their component parts (the bond between amino acids is pretty darn strong) so some of those calories just pass on through to the other side (so to speak).

Also sugars are fuel just as the are. When you eat too much they get stored as retrievable fuel for later. Proteins and fats can be converted to fuel (it actually takes a little bit of energy to do this) but also play other roles in your body like building muscles, repairing cell membranes etc. A few of the amino acids and lipids (fats) we need can be made by our bodies, but the "essential" amino acids & and lipids must be acquired from the food we ingest. It they go to building tissues, they are not available as fuel.

OK now, professor Pam is done.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
So says the woman who gave me the Mickey earworm all day!
Which version?

M-I-C-K-E-Y MOUSE, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck....

Or

Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind? Hey Mickey!

I went back and forth between the two yesterday, and we wonder where insanity comes from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.