Notices

Sodium Sensitivity & Water Retention

Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Sodium Sensitivity & Water Retention

I'm relatively new to Fitday, and I'm grateful for the fact that it helps me track nutrients in addition to fun stuff like calories. Now the sodium...::sigh::

One of the things I've realized is just how sensitive my body is to high sodium. I had no idea! Even on days when my calorie balance/deficit is superb, if my sodium is high, seems like I retain more water than the darned Hoover Dam! (And btw, this is true regardless of the "time of the month" it is.) I can wake up the following morning, pee, etc. and when I weigh myself...boom, 2 additional pounds. Once my sodium is back down below the recommended 1500mg for a couple days, then it goes back to normal.

Anyone else find that they're this sodium sensitive? Although it's easy to keep my calories, proteins, & fats in check, sodium is a big struggle for me to watch. Maybe it's because, as an American, I'm so used to prepared foods and frozen meals (even skinny chic names like frozen "Smart Ones" or fat free hot dogs) that pack in sodium that I don't realize the significance. Anyone else have this problem? How do you cut sodium without sacrificing taste?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM
FitDay Member

There has been more and more products coming out sodium free now...I tend to buy those more and then add my own salt to my dishes. Ive also learned to eat my veggies and meat without salt but I do up the herbs and spices when I cook.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Count in another hover dam here. I never realized until I was on the 6-week body make over program how much so. on that i can't eat anything with additional sodium. so naturally occuring sodium was fine but anything like canned tomatores sodium free. i'm the same as you eat to much sodium & i hang onto water like i'll die without it...lol. nothing to do with time of month for me either.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

I am another one!! I need to really really watch eating anything processed, canned, etc. I have been trying to use more whole foods, and cook from scratch. When I overdo the salt I swell up and my rings get really tight on my finger...and of course the scale can reflect sometimes a 3 pound weight gain.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 PM
FitDay Member

The sodium is one of the first things I noticed after two weeks of tracking my food. It has been a real struggle too as even the "diet foods" frozen dinners that I thought were low calorie and good for me was sabotaging my weight. I have tried to eat more homemade foods and buy low-sodium products when available in veggies and juice. It has made a big difference, but on the days I overdo it I can sure tell on the scale I still can't seem to get under the rec allow but have cut in half the amount I was getting the first two weeks.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
FitDay Member

I never thought about it until I read this thread. I too have a devastating relationship with salt. I can tell within the day if I have had to much sodium. I feel like I bloat in a matter of hours after eating something with to much of it. I have even seen a 10 lb gain on the scale after I had suspicion of sodium. It is so hard to find low salt and no salt alternatives. Even sandwich bread, if you look at it, can have up to 12-15% RDA of sodium . I do find that if I drink more water on those days when salt finds it's way in, that it can flush it faster. A good friend of mine limits his salt and nitrates when he buys packaged food. This seems to help him quite a bit. He looks at the label and really tries to stay under 5% if possible. Good luck with your journey, I hope you can find it salt free!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

yup hence the reason i cook all of my foods from scratch. DS says mom don't EVER make mac & cheese from the box AGAIN your home made is wayyy better. bless him. mind you that's when i make a meal for just him i can't eat it with the wheat & dairy, but he's so good eating fish, chicken breasts & veggies that i like to make him stuff he likes too. i think that's the key get rid of the package foods. they are full of chemicals that who knows what they will do to us anyways & eat 'real' food.