Notices

Question!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question!

At the beginning of my diet I was keeping my calories between 1600 and 1800. After a couple of weeks of doing well and finding great recipes I kept them under 1600. Now I find that I am having a difficult time eating that much. I know I have to eat at least 1200 calories a day to keep my metabolism going so I can lose weight, but I find it doesn't take much to fill me up. I was eating 5-6 small meals a day but now I find I can't eat every few hours. So I eat a light breakfast, salad for lunch, a light dinner and then before bed I eat a yogurt. Is this normal for my body to act this way? My daughter says my stomach is shrinking from not eating so much like I use to.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

I think your daughter is right; the stomach does shrink when it's not getting the same amount of food as it's been used to.

As for the below 1200 business, the jury is still out on that. Some veterans on here say the whole "starvation mode" theory is not true for them; they've never experienced it. Some others (myself included) have very much experienced it. If I'm consistently low on calories, my metabolism absolutely tanks and I plateau. A day here, a day there, not so much. The best thing for me is to mix it up...some days low, some days higher. If you are looking for more calories but feel full too quickly, you could try some less filling but calorically dense foods such as nuts and dried fruit. Everybody is different and you have to find out what works best for you through some trial and error. Good luck!