Notices

Excuses

Old 09-30-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default .

Last edited by jjeand; 10-26-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default A few "no excuse" phrases that work for me

What an interesting question, and 17 views and no resposne indicates that not many of us know what to do when motiviation won't kick in. Lots of people have great stories about what motivates them, or a trigger event that got them going. You might find some wisdom in those.

For me, I have a few mantras
"nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
"I know I want it now, give yourself 15 minutes and see how you feel"
"you only have today to worry about"
"OK you can have one bite, cut it off, put it on a plate, put the plate on the table, wrap up the food, put it away, now sit down, eat it and enjoy it".

"better get to the gym, you're going to have to report in on the forum"
Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dear_abby
What an interesting question, and 17 views and no resposne indicates that not many of us know what to do when motiviation won't kick in. Lots of people have great stories about what motivates them, or a trigger event that got them going. You might find some wisdom in those.

For me, I have a few mantras
"nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
"I know I want it now, give yourself 15 minutes and see how you feel"
"you only have today to worry about"
"OK you can have one bite, cut it off, put it on a plate, put the plate on the table, wrap up the food, put it away, now sit down, eat it and enjoy it".

"better get to the gym, you're going to have to report in on the forum"
I was one, or two of those views. I normally try not to comment in the women's section if it's not the motivational thread. Besides that I think that everyone knows how I feel about excuses by now.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

Well, it sounds to me like you put everyone and every thing before yourself. If you want to live life to the fullest you have to occasionally put yourself first. For me that means my morning workout, it's "me" time and the only thing I let interrupt that time is "me", every now and then I let myself sleep through it, but only if I'm sick or completely exhausted. Another little bit of "me" time is right after dinner, I leave the kitchen to log and let the kids do the clean up without me. Unless one of them has a bone sticking out or sets the kitchen on fire, I ignore them and let DH diffuse WWIII.

It also sounds like you could use a little retail therapy, don't buy a whole new wardrobe, buy 1 or 2 pieces that are a little too small and work yourself down into them, possibly for a special event. Another sort of retail therapy that I like is to buy snug workout clothes, and make myself wear them to the gym. It's pretty stinking motivating to face yourself lifting in full length mirrors, while wearing very snug shorty shorts. Nobody really notices that my clothes are too tight at that gym, almost everyone else is wearing things that are much tighter.

You might also sign up for something crazy, like a race or some sort of insane workout class, or maybe just a fun workout class like Zumba or belly dancing. Just something to kick start your enthusiasm and get you moving again.