Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8.29 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8.29

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 8.29

Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Ann, that card is too funny! It's amazing that I don't get drunk off if rum cake, I'm suck a light weight. It's been forever since I drank and I had a beer and a half the night that I flew in and I was feeling it. The other pic... he's got some big ones. My professional opinion tells he that he's about a 42f.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

my "progress" such as it is
) 1600 cals or less: HA! HAHA, foiled by pre theatre picnic and diabolically good brownies, 1776 (how patriotic)
2) stretch: Nope, nope, yes I had to
3) drink water:well some... how much? IDK, 64]
4) play nice with others: HA HAHA DD will tell you there are rabid racoons that play nicer than I, yes - didn't see DD but I am warning tomorrow will tell you I was AWFUL today cannot talk to that child... NO BIG FIGHT WITH DD
5) dig out from Irene induced mess in basement: Yes but I pulled out my back and knee and then the fibro kicked in... bad back: I "supervised, yes

Ann, that card and the picture of your DH and BFF were too funny.

Mike, your picture of Va beach gave me fond memories of my recent vacay which feels like centuries ago. Take care of your tootsies. It's cool you are working out; that is discipline.

Everyone, I just browsed the posts, sorry....

Last edited by canary52; 09-01-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

good morning, y'all! Only swam 200m last night (mostly backstroke, my fave) and it took me half an hour to do it, blah. BUT…I swam until I started twisting and losing form, which is how I know I'm close to maxing out—I can't actually max out because I still have to be able to drive home! lol I'm a little sore but not anywhere near what I was expecting, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. Mostly I feel..."stretched out," which is great—I'm pretty excited to be swimming again, YAY! Maybe after a month or so I won't feel quite so ungainly in the pool... {fingers crossed} Oh, and I've decided that going at night is a REALLY bad idea—everything up where we are is under construction right now (I'm totally serious—you can't drive 2 miles without running into &@*$^&*^ orange barrels, it's absolutely ridiculous, GRRRRRRR), and driving in all of that mess in the dark is just a nightmare! so I think I'm going to go in the mornings right after Viv goes to school (that will be my new "trigger"). She leaves at 9am, so I should miss most of rush hour traffic as well, and I'm hoping the lap lanes will still be practically empty during the day.

@Amy I'll see if I can find Cassie's granola recipe, thanks! The rice-and-egg-in-muffin-tin thing is pretty simple: 3 c cooked rice (leftover works well, we eat mostly Thai jasmine rice); 1/2 c shredded cheddar; 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced; 1/3 c milk; 2 beaten eggs; dash each of cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together in a bowl and drop equal portions in GREASED muffin tins. Sprinkle more cheese on top if desired. Bake @ 400F for 15 mins. Can be frozen and reheated. I'm thinking it ought to be pretty easy to figure out nutrition info by calculating totals for all the ingredients, then dividing that by the number of rice-egg thingies I end up with. If you decide to try them, LMK what you think.

@Mike that seagull snap is GORGEOUS—love it! you're one dedicated guy, getting a 7-day pass to a gym while you're on the road. take care of those blisters!

@Mern you are INCREDIBLE, you know that?! I'm so impressed by what you're accomplishing, WTG! and drug-free health management—you're a girl after my own heart

@Ann your rum cake card made me literally LOL

@Terri, another breakfast hater, huh? I knew I couldn't be the only one in the world! LOL ziplock omelettes aren't SUPER-quick, but IMO they're a lot quicker than traditional omelettes. I use this recipe: Omelet in a Bag Recipe - Allrecipes.com I'm trying to change my paradigm RE: breakfast and time (I'm fueling a Bugatti, not a broken-down go-cart, and breakfast is part of that fuel), but changing an attitude that's been entrenched for 40 years won't happen overnight, right? BTW, glad BF (and by extension, YOU) had a better/minimal-allergy day yesterday—cranky after work is bad enough, but cranky at home on his day off…? No thanks! oh, and did you remember to count the housework you did for your grad student as activity for the day? I usually forget stuff like that, but the activity log is making it easier for me to remember to give myself credit for simple things like vacuuming.

@everyone I love reading y'all's posts—they're so inspiring and motivating! Y'all help me want to make the effort to take care of myself instead of just coasting (cuz yeah, coasting got me where I am now, and it pretty much sux), so THANK YOU!

Last edited by mommiepretty; 09-01-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Tanya -- You're so sweet to remind me! I usually don't log housework or things that I tend to do every day (like folding clothes or other chores like vacuuming). My reasoning behind that is that logging it often gives me a sense of "Oh, I exercised today!" and an excuse not to exercise (since exercise is what I slack on)... thus I know my calorie deficits are probably guesstimated low. But that provides two things!

1) Sometimes I get a pleasant surprise at the scale!! and...
2) It keeps me more on-track with food.

I save my log only for activities that I do specifically for exercising and to work up a sweat or work out my muscles I'll also log long walks or "vigorous" chores, like working in a garden or something -- things I don't do every day.

It works for me, anyway! But thanks for the reminder!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

It's amazing how a tan can make you look less fat. So here I am again at the beach trying to look less fat. Damn this is a rough life.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Especially for Mike from the devil herself

Here it is--post #666 and yes, I remembered how much you hate treadmills. I think I saw you post that to Quinn one day when it was raining and you said you couldn't get in your walk because of the rain and you wouldn't get it in because you refused to walk on a treadmill.

You know the devil can help you get a tan, but it's not in Virginia. But I won't tell you where to go.

Last edited by Mern; 09-01-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

Ann, I'm working on both cholesterol and triglycerides. I'm not an expert and not well-versed in medical stuff--it's just that I had done some research before asking my new doctor about adding fish oil capsules to my diet and she said "Sure! Go for it!"

Here are two short, good articles about fish oil, high triglicerides and cholesterol from a reliable source--the Mayo Clinic.

Omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil, alpha-linolenic acid - MayoClinic.com

Cholesterol: Top five foods to lower your numbers - MayoClinic.com

Last edited by Mern; 09-01-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, it's amazing what good fats can do for us. I remember when I first started this journey I thought that all fats were bad.

Speaking of good fats, I walked down to Dairy Queen. I now sitting here with my Butterfinger Blizzard & staring out at the ocean. This Blizzard is so fattening and tastes so good, so I guess I can say thy I'm eating good fats, right?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, oooh, girl! Major, major kudos on your new low weight! That's fantastic and what should really make you feel better is that you worked really hard to see that number on your scale. I don't log the calorie burn for it, but if I do something like heavy duty spring cleaning that takes a couple hours of hard work and makes me sweat buckets, I do count it as exericse for my daily reports. Doesn't happen very often, though. Thanks for your compliment. Really, FitDay does the math for me--I just juggle the numbers around until I get something close to my goals. But I am walking with a swagger today. LOL You did a really good job yesterday--your protein is quite admirable, too. Great job swapping out your planned dinner! Boy, your grad student with the broken toe is really lucky to have you. You're nothing short of an angel of mercy! I've seen a lot of recommendations about not going below 1200 calories for more than a few days--not good for your blood sugar, either.

Tanya congrats on the half hour of swimming. On the construction barrels, we had those up for two freakin' years one time in a neighboring state and never saw any work being done at all. Turned out to be an experiment by a college (through a government grant) on how drivers react to construction barrels. Nice! I wonder how many accidents and injuries or even deaths were caused by such a dangerous experiment. OMG, thanks for the compliment. You are so sweet. I'm only able to accomplish what I have due to being able to find a supportive doctor who believes some people ARE able to manage certain health issues without prescription meds. She has twice now sat down with me to go over my FitDay food logs and pie charts and discuss my ideas on a plan of attack and add her own. My husband's doctor's method of operation is: find a symptom, prescribe a pill. It's never too late to turn yourself around--I'm 65 and just started a few years ago, and got high praise from my doc for starting when I did. So kudos to you for starting at age 40! Not kidding--that's great!

Hope, going over just 176 calories is pretty darned good. You know you burn way more calories than 1776. I hope things have calmed down with DD. How's your back, knee, and fibro feeling?

I gotta go start dinner. Will try to come back later.

Last edited by Mern; 09-01-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
I save my log only for activities that I do specifically for exercising and to work up a sweat or work out my muscles I'll also log long walks or "vigorous" chores, like working in a garden or something -- things I don't do every day.
I'll probably adopt a similar approach once I've developed some new habits. but I've been spending an awful lot of time lately beating myself up over what I've been doing wrong (or not doing at all, as the case may be), so I decided I needed to be more compassionate toward myself and start looking more closely at what I'm doing, and doing right I know at some point routine activities will become "table stakes" for me, just like they are for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.