Notices

Is this a safe daily amount of calories?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Is this a safe daily amount of calories?

My daily calories are 1500. My TDEE is a little over 2500. If I burn an additional 200-300 per day via a walk for example is this safe and healthy?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

I saw nobody had answered you. 1500 is safe for most people, but as we have no knowledge of your personal medical situation then we can't say for sure whether it's right for you or not. Some people who are very heavy need more calories just to survive every day and a standard low calorie diet just isn't going to be healthy for their bodies and they need to eat more to start out with than someone thinner who is dieting. 1200 calorie diets for example for a very morbidly obese person would often be torture especially if you don't eat a lot of vegetables to stay full.

Get with your doctor and have him refer you to a nutritionist. They will be able to help you work out an eating plan that's right for you. If you have good insurance you might also get your thyroid tested. I got mine tested and I'm on a low dose of thyroid medicine and that is supposed to help my metabolism so I can lose weight more easily.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

Roemerach, your post lacks quite a bit of information such as your age, weight and physical condition.

It would be like getting a perscription without going to the doctor, which is exactly what you should do.

I'm not an expert, but that sounds low, probably won't last and neither with the weightloss.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jackdup
Roemerach, your post lacks quite a bit of information such as your age, weight and physical condition.

It would be like getting a perscription without going to the doctor, which is exactly what you should do.

I'm not an expert, but that sounds low, probably won't last and neither with the weightloss.
I agree that we need more information to make a determination, but saying that sounds low could be way off, too.

I maintain at about 1500. I'm female, 5'2", and 43 years old. Depending on sex, height, current weight, and age, it might not be low at all. One of our moderators, mecompco, is a weight loss star, is doing it the healthy way, and as per his signature, is doing 1500 calories a day.

Roemerach, check out this site Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs if you want a second opinion as to what your caloric expenditure might be. Subtracting 500 per day from what you burn will give you a pound a week loss; 1000 lower per day will give you two pounds, etc.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 08-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Ha ha--well, I don't know if I'd call myself a "star", but I did have very good success with 1500 cals in a (on average) 40/30/30 mix.

My average now is around 1800 and I'm still losing, albeit much more slowly (which is fine as I get closer to my ultimate goal).

With good choices you can stay pretty full on 1500 calories. It's probably a good idea to take a vitamin as it can be tough to get all your nutrients in that amount of cals.

Regards,
Michael