Notices

30 Pound Club?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Maintaining the loss

Hi KRK,
I didn't get around to answering your question about maintaining once I reach my goal. The 140 goal was the 12 week plan. My ultimate goal is 130ish, or about 25% body fat. So the plan is to go from my very restrictive diet of 1100 - 1200 cals to an easier 1600 for 8 weeks. In the mean time I am training for a 15mile trail race in June, so I need a few more calories to get the energy level back up for the road work.

In general my eating habits and exercise routine are pretty good. So I plan to stick with FitDay for a couple more months (besides I have to keep up with all the happenings going on in the lives of these awesome ladies), and make sure that the habits stick.

My biggest down fall is a few extra beers or glasses of wine that both add calories and reduce my resolve to stay away from the nachos. (See the alcohol thread below) so I think one way or another I will need to keep track of my eating habits for life. As I have noted in several posts the ease of using FitDay has been the missing link in all my earlier efforts to drop the pounds (there she goes again with the informercial!).

Thanks for asking,

Pam
Old 04-06-2010, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default I need help with weight loss

Hi everyone,

I have been following the slim fast diet for about 3 weeks now with no weight loss. I am 44yr & 155lbs. I need to get down to 125lbs. I don't understand the concept of calories in & out. I walk on the treadmill every day at 3.0-3.5mph for at least 30 min. Still no weight loss. Can someone help me to determine what I am doing wrong & how to fix it & start losing some weight?

I have been reading all your success stories & very proud of all of you.

Molly
Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Advice for Molly

Originally Posted by mgal65
Hi everyone,

I have been following the slim fast diet for about 3 weeks now with no weight loss. I am 44yr & 155lbs. I need to get down to 125lbs. I don't understand the concept of calories in & out. I walk on the treadmill every day at 3.0-3.5mph for at least 30 min. Still no weight loss. Can someone help me to determine what I am doing wrong & how to fix it & start losing some weight?

I have been reading all your success stories & very proud of all of you.

Molly
Hi Molly! I understand your frustration. You feel like you're doing everything right, but the weight won't budge. I did the Slim Fast thing for a while in college and lost weight, but I thought it was miserable. To this day I still can't eat raw apples. My sister in law did it and gained weight. She followed the guidelines, but ended up eating way too much for dinner.

Weight loss can be boiled down to simple math. To lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. The easiest way for me to track this is to use fitday to log everything that I eat and to track my exercise.

One pound of fat is the caloric equivalent of 3500 calories. So to lose one pound a week, which is a healthy and reasonable goal, a person must have a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day (3500 calories divided by 7 seven days). The good news is that your body is continuously burning calories to support your basic body functions (breathing, heart beating, keeping your body at a constant temperature), so you can tackle the 500 calorie deficit in multiple ways - burn 500 calories by exercising, eat 500 calories less of food, or through a combination of exercise and restricted food intake, for example, exercise to burn 250 calories and eat 250 calories less.

For a weight loss of two pounds of week, a person would have to burn 1000 more calories than they consume each day. (Two pounds is the equivalent of 7000 calories, so it would 7000 calories divided by seven days.)

I've read in a lot of places that it's not good to try to lose more than 1-2 pounds of week. I've also read that it's not good to consume less than 1200 calories per day, because it can actually slow your weight loss. I love watching the Biggest Loser, but I think that it can cause people to have very unrealistic expectations regarding weight loss.

My recommendation to you is to track all your food and exercise in Fitday for a week and see how much you're actually eating each day (it might surprise you) and then figure out how many calories you're burning. If you burn more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight. If you don't you'll gain or maintain your current weight. If you want to stick with Slim Fast, go for it, but you might be happier eating like you did before, tracking calories, and slowly adding healthier foods (fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc.) to your diet.

Sometimes fitday doesn't do a good job of estimating your basal metabolic rate (calories burned to sustain your body's basic activities), so you might try some other ones on the internet. Healthy Body Calculator® - Ask the Dietitian® takes into account your age, gender, hours per day spent a different activity levels, and a bunch of other optional factors. (To find the estimated number of calories you currently burn per day, use the "Maintain Weight" goal, and look at the calorie intake recommended. Then you can play around with the weight loss/gain options.)

You should definitely keep up the walking! You're doing wonders for your health by increasing the strength of your heart and body.

Hope some of this will help you on your journey!

Kandace

Last edited by krk454; 04-06-2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added some info about the Healthy Body Calculator
Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Just making sure the thread doesn't drop off the page

Hi ladies,
Haven't heard (can we still say that in this day of electronic messages??) from you all in while. What have you been up to?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Just starting (again)

Hi there! I'd love to join this group. I'm 34 years old and 185.2 pounds. My goal weight is 155 and I'd like to reach it by the end of this year. It's a slow weight loss but that's okay with me. I desperately want to keep the weight off this time. I've been over 200 pounds, and as low as 150 in my adult life. I've never been successful at maintaining. My plan is to eat healthfully, making sure I have at least 25-30 grams of fibre each day (doctor's orders), and have at least five servings of fruits and veggies each day. I'm eating around 2000 calories daily. I'm starting the Couch-to-5K running program, which I've completed twice in the past but never stuck with. My biggest problem is staying motivated, and my health is beginning to suffer. My blood pressure and cholesterol are on the high end of normal and I don't want them to get any worse.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Welcome Avelina

Yeah, trying to make those good habits stick can be a trial. I think your idea to take it slow this time sounds good.

What do you think keeps you from maintaining once you reach your desired weight?

For me it is laziness, not so much lack of exercise laziness, but after a while I just get tired of keep track of what goes into my mouth. And as I noted above, I do enjoy good wine and beer, just a little too much to be healthy.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Weight on 4/2/10: 168.6 lbs with BMI of 29.9
Weight on 4/9/10: 169.0 lbs with BMI of 29.9

Weight Change: +0.4 lbs

Things are going just okay for me. Hurt my right foot playing volleyball over a week ago, so I've been hobbling around a bit. It's slowly getting better, so maybe in the next week or so, I can start being more active. Trying to watch what I eat, but my husband and I have eaten out too often in the last week. I need to figure out how to socialize without indulging in too much food.

Last edited by krk454; 04-09-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: left vs. right... does it really matter?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Yeah, trying to make those good habits stick can be a trial. I think your idea to take it slow this time sounds good.

What do you think keeps you from maintaining once you reach your desired weight?

For me it is laziness, not so much lack of exercise laziness, but after a while I just get tired of keep track of what goes into my mouth. And as I noted above, I do enjoy good wine and beer, just a little too much to be healthy.
I definitely relate to the laziness in recording all my eating, and if I don't record it, I seem to go nuts. When I get close to my goal, I start sabotaging myself, eating whatever I want and thinking "just this one won't hurt" but I rarely stop at one. When I realize I've gained some weight back, I catch myself saying "maybe I was just meant to be overweight", which is such BS. I always get re-motivated once I near the 190 mark.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Good for you!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Found my group

Hi girls! I've posted a couple other places, but as I read your bios, I think I would best fit in here. I am 38 yrs. old, have 5 kids, and need to lose 40 lbs. With each stage of life, a little has crept on year by year. I am starting at 173 and hope to get down to 139, I am 5'6". My numbers sounded most like many of yours. My question for you is this...do any of you feel like you sacrifice to take care of your family, but then sort of let the ball drop when it comes to yourself? Why don't I take the time to cut myself fresh fruit? Why don't I do the things I need to do to make myself healthy? I want it to change. I think I would be taking better care of them when I take care of myself, too. I hope to get to know many of you through this and encourage each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.