Notices

30 Pound Club?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi!

Lisa, Pam, Kayla - thank you for the pick-me-up, it's greatly appreciated! I'm sorry I've been away the last few days, I've been pretty busy.

I agree, I don't think I can do a cheat food day either. For me, 1 day turns into 2, and so on..I've had them in the past and somehow managed to do alright with them. However, now I can't and I'm not going to mess around with it.

Welcome DeathArrow! You'll do great! I see you've already lost 10 pounds, that's great stuff!

So, I'm thinking that beginning with this Friday, we start posting our weigh-ins. What does everyone think? I figure that works, since the beginning of Spring was this past weekend and it's a start of a new week.

Hope you're all great and that your days are treating you good today!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi Ladies! My feet hurt!

Hi everyone! I'm a 24 year old college student, 5'4 and about 200lbs. Unfortunately, my apartment floor is kinda slanted and it's impossible for me to get an accurate reading with my scale! I'm considering going to the gym on campus to see if there's a scale I can use (and maybe excercise, once I get over my gym phobia, lol).

My first goal is to get to 175 lbs. The last time I dieted (2006) I got stuck at 173, so I thought I'd break it up into two chunks until I get under 150. Besides looking better, I want to have better eating habits so that by the time I get pregnant and have kids, I'll have it down and will be able to be a good role model and have healthy children.

My number one problem? MY FEET HURT! I already have more energy from eating better, but I can't even go for a walk because my feet and ankles hurt so bad all the time! What on earth is causing this?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Smile I'm in for 30!

Hello! I'm going to join on you on this 30 pound journey. I'm 29, 5'3", and weigh 172 lbs. My goal is 140-145 lbs, but I'm comfortable at 150-155. I've used fitday several times in the past as a tool to aid me in weight loss, and I always succeed when I use it! So I'm back again after having my weight creep back up to a near record high.

To reach my goal, I plan to keep my calorie consumption in the 1500 to 2000 range (would like to keep my weekly average under 1800) and to exercise a minimum of 30 minutes per day at least four days a week. Anytime I start putting too many restrictions on myself, I start to rebel and it all heads downhill. This plan in the past has allowed me to easily lose 0.5 to 1 lbs a week. It's not drastic, it never seems unattainable, and it keeps me happy (and lets me eat my favorites ). I'd like to think that I could lose 30 pounds in 30 weeks, but I know that there will be hurdles and difficulties along the path and that as long as I continue to lose, I'll eventually reach my goal.

I would love to be a runner and have started the Couch to 5K program a couple different times, but always end up with unbearable shin splints and stress fractures, I assume, on my shin bones because they will ache for a few weeks after I quit running. I'd like to try again when I'm lighter and see if my excess weight is causing my running maladies.

My plan this time round for exercise is walking/hiking and volleyball. I play on a city league vb team once a week during the fall and winter. The last two years I've hosted a weekly open gym volleyball session in the summer for the high school girls and any adults who would like participate, and I plan on doing this again year. My exercise options are limited due to my geographical location, but I try to make the best of it.

Sometimes my motivation will waver, but it's helpful to be accountable to someone who cares about your success. So if anyone needs motivation, I'm here for you if you'll repay the favor someday!

Oh, and I'd like to share a motivational quote by Zig Ziglar. I like it because it applies to many aspects of life and helps me keep focused on my goals (weight loss and others...)

"The chief cause of unhappiness is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment."

Let's do this!

Kandace in MT
Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 PM
FitDay Member

Friday weigh ins sound great!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hope the 30 pound club is still going!

Hi. I have read the threads and would like a support group in losing my 30 pounds. I am 170 and am excited about getting back to 140. I have been at this steady weight for almost ten years. Five years ago I was down to 150 for about 6 months but slowly put the weight back on. I have a treadmill and dumb bells and "old" videos to exercise to. So I am looking for a defined workout routine to help me.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hitting a plateau

Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome a plateau?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Ideas for plowing past a plateau

Originally Posted by Annavi
Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome a plateau?
I do! (And congrats on the plateau! You've obviously been working hard at your weight loss!)

Try changing up your exercise routine. When you do the same thing over and over, your body learns how to do it efficiently, which means it burns less calories than it did at the beginning.
  • If you've been walking on flat ground, add hills. Or add an incline to your treadmill.
  • If you've been working out in the gym, try a new cardio machine. Rowing, elliptical, treadmill, stairstepper, upright or recumbent bike are all good workouts. Some will probably feel awkward at first, but that probably means your body isn't working as efficiently. Be sure to ask for help with a machine if you're unfamiliar with it.
  • Again if you've been at the gym, try taking a cardio class (kickboxing, dance, aerobics, etc.) instead of relying on an exercise machine.
  • If you've been walking or running indoors on a treadmill, get outside! Natural ground is more of a challenge. Different surfaces have different resistances and enjoy the natural contours (inclines and declines) of the land.
  • Try a new exercise video.
  • Swim!
  • Add weights to your exercise routine if you don't lift already.
  • If you do lift weights, vary your methods. Try resistance bands, or free weights, or weight machines. Each targets a muscle group in a different manner.
  • Add intervals (short burst of intense effort) to your training to keep your heart rate up.

If you track calories, make sure you're logging all food eaten and that the portion sizes are correct. Buy a cheap kitchen scale if you need one and be completely honest about everything that you eat.

As a person loses weight, their body needs less energy than it did at a heavier weight to maintain basic body functions. So you might try eating fewer calories and seeing if that helps. But I've read in many places that an adult should consume at least 1200 calories a day, so if you're limiting yourself to that threshold, try eating a bit more (yes it sounds counter intuitive) and seeing if that helps your weight loss. Your body may be in starvation mode and holding onto every bit of energy that it can, which means that no matter how little you eat you stay the same weight.

Don't use just your weight as your guide to becoming healthier. You may be losing fat and replacing it with muscle (and muscle weighs more than fat). So if the scale doesn't budge, try using your measurements (waist, bust, hips, etc) or an article of clothing (skinny jeans!) as a guide. A strong woman is a beautiful woman.

Please don't get discouraged! You've made great progress on becoming a healthier person! Remind yourself daily of your accomplishments so far, both weight loss and physical achievements. Appreciate what you've done!

Last edited by krk454; 03-24-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: remove redundant wording, added a parethesis
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Keep up the hard work!

Originally Posted by DeathArrow
I've been dieting for 9 weeks to get here :/ Only like a pound a week!!
DeathArrow, congrats on your weight loss! I think a pound a week is great! Especially if you can sustain it over the long haul. (Losing one pound a week is my goal for weight loss.) Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the "I want to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time" mind set, and it can cause a person to forget just how well they're doing and can even cause a relapse. So yay for you for sticking with it!

Sounds like you're doing a good job of managing your weight in a healthy manner with a combination of diet and exercise. Do you have plans for what you'll do after the C25K is over? Do you like running? I did the first four weeks of the C25K before I had to stop due to running related injuries. I remember how amazing it felt to run 400 yards and not stop. Be proud of your body and what it can do for you!

If you're serious about losing weight faster, I'd suggest adding some more exercise (with the assumption that your only exercise is running three times a week with C25K) by taking a walk or going for a bike ride or doing something else that you enjoy on one of your rest days. In my opinion, I don't think you want to cut back on your energy (calorie) intake anymore than you already have.

Keep up the hard work!

Kandace
Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default 30 Pound Club Friday Weigh In

Good Friday, girls! Hopefully your week was a great one.

Today is weigh in day, so if you wish to post your weight please do so. I weighed myself last week and I was at 162 . This morning I weighed myself and I weighed in at 159.2! Down 2.8 pounds, yeah!!

Welcome to all of the new members! Hope everyone has a great day and a fabulous weekend ahead of them.

Ps - I don't know if you guys have heard about it, but have you heard of sparkpeople? I'm on Fitday and just joined sparkpeople too. I'm Runnerchi on there, so look for me if you end up going there.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Down 2 pounds!

Weight on 3/19: 170.6 lbs with BMI of 30.2
Weight on 3/26: 168.6 lbs with BMI of 29.9 (No longer in the obese category!)
Loss of: 2.0 lbs

This last week was really good as far a workouts are concerned. I managed six out of seven days. It almost felt like too much, so I think I'll aim for 4-5 times per week. I've been trying to keep things interesting. I walked cross country, hiked up and down hillsides, did a couple days of Power90, and one night of volleyball. (I served 18 points in a rows during our first match! How awesome is that? Usually I can't keep the ball from going too deep and out the back.)

Last week was good food wise too. I don't think my calorie intake exceeded my expenditure on any day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.