Notices

30 Pound Club?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Had a good day today, actually made the 30/30/40 protein/fat/carb ratio today, and got to the gym. My workout was about 75% of my normal intensity and cut the cardio 10 minutes short because I felt shaky, but I was out there, so I'm happy. The best part of the day was the hour I spent outside in absolutely perfect weather blowing soap bubbles with my son. It feels great to have a good day!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
FitDay Member

Hello All,
i would like to join in too! my name is Farah and i'm from Toronto, Canada. i'm 41 years old, very pettit 5' and 153 lbs. i seem to be addicted to weighting myself in the morning and evening, but i'll try to stop that and weigh in once a week, maybe Saturday morning. i joined fitday just last week and enjoy logging in my food intake. what i noticed though i eat much less that what i'm supposed to but still manage to gain weight!!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
FitDay Member

I gained 1 pound this week
Not unexpected after my three days of not counting what I ate and not making smart choices. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, I know this is a life-long journey, not a two-week trial.
Starting weight-185.2
Current weight-183
Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
FitDay Member

Default New, can I join?

Hi!
I've just started watching what I eat 6 days ago, and logging my food intake here has really helped me so far.
I'm 41 years old, and a week ago I weighed myself and found I was just 5 lbs. short of my weight when I was 9 months pregnant with my youngest child 6 years ago. Not good.
So I determined to take control and stop the emotional eating. I'm avoiding refined carbs (my absolute downfall) and focusing on nutrient-rich foods. I've lost 6 1/2 lbs. in the last 6 days which I KNOW they say is dangerous, bad, etc., but in this initial phase I am sure it is all just whatever my huge belly was all full of (and not actual fat melting off, yet!)
In addition to watching the quality of what I eat, I am counting calories, but I'm not sure how to do it right. I mean, there are so many different estimates out there of how many calories a day a person needs (for example, here on FitDay it gives 2500. Another site says 1665 for me as a 41 year old, relatively sedentary female) So, if I need to cut back 1000 calories a day to meet my weight loss goal, what is that?? Right now, I am shooting for 1500 a day, since that seems reasonable, but I don't want to cut too far back and have it backfire.

Has anyone here tried zig-zagging? (Eating more and fewer calories on alternating days so your body doesn't get accustomed to fewer calories and alter your metabolism, as far as I understand). It sounds like a good idea, I may try that.

I've enjoyed reading your posts, thank you for the inspiration!

Margaret

Last edited by jml2010; 04-23-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: attachment didn't work
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Magaret,
6 1/2 lb in a week????? to me, that is amazing? what did you do? please let me know, i know it might not be healthy but MAN 6 1/2 lb weight loss???? i'm really interested to know how you did it.
i'm also trying to go low carb, and i absoulotly love carbs!
last time i checked my weight i was 151.6 and i'm planning to stay off the scale until next Friday morning, hopefully, by that time i've learned your technique and i'll be pleasantly surprised too!
take care ladies!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Victoria, 30 years old, Homestead, FL. I'm 5ft 1 in. I weigh 156 lbs and my goal is 130-125.

I found FitDay on 4/21/10 on a google search. I'm so glad I did. I have 3 good reasons for wanting to lose weight and I will use them on my quest.

1. I had an embarrasing moment where I had to walk into the clothing store with ripped jeans and trying to find another pair. That's when I realized I had to do something.

2. I have 3 children (2 are mentally disabled) I want to be there for them.

3. I donated blood and found out my cholesterol is high.

I didn't realize how much I was eating until I added my food intake on this site. I changed my diet. I don't drink soda anymore. I'm eating whole wheat bread, wheat pasta, wheat tortillas, sweet potato instead of regular baked, all my meat is cooked in the oven or grilled, I boil my eggs, lots of veggies, olive oil instead of vegetable/canola oil, an all natural butter made with olive oil (I think butter is bad but since i can't stay away from it I found the healthiest one), and tons of water. There are times where I crave a soda so instead I drink Propel Water (with flavor).

I think I made a big change in such a short little time. I aim to be the next success story and I hope I find a buddy or more to keep me motivated and I will do the same in return. I can't wait to weigh myself in 2 more days.

I enjoyed reading a lot of informative posts. I'm addicted to FitDay and everytime I put something in my mouth I run to the computer to add it on my daily food intake.

I hope everyone reaches their goal.

Victoria
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Farah!
Really, I think the 6 1/2 lbs was exactly what I said - gunk out of my insides (sorry to be graphic!) Definitely not fat melting off my behind and hips, not yet. What I had a week ago (when I started my changes) was a really puffed-out, bloated, stuffed belly. In this week, that has gone down to a pretty normal status, though I still have all the flab just under my skin.

So, though it's good to get my insides in order, and that needed to happen, I don't claim it's fat loss. Hopefully that will come next. I think this phase was really like a cleanse or like what happens when people just fast for a few days - they lost weight but because they are cleaned out.

But here's what I did - really simple.

- Drink ONLY water, plain tea, tomato juice, and (since I can't resist it) cappuccino.
- No white flour products. Hardly any wheat at all, actually, since I lose self-control if I eat it. I substituted brown rice and rice cakes for my starch/carbs.
- lowfat cheese, yogurt, and meat
- READ all the labels and ENTER everything here.

Having not exercised for about a year, I just started again last night. I did a 20-minute video, then today I did 20 minutes of Callanetics (the a.m. part of a.m./p.m. Callanetics, which I really recommend!) and then since it was so nice out, I went jogging for about half an hour (well, only maybe 15 minutes of that was actual jogging, the rest was brisk walking). I can feel that I did the Callanetics, so that's good. I'll try to get in a 20-minute session at least once a day, and 2 or 3 runs a week for cardio. Lucky for me, there is a nice running track very close to my home that I can use, otherwise it would kill my knees and I'd give up!

I really do not expect to lose fat at this same fast rate - I just don't think it would be possible or safe. I also am concerned about having the right calorie intake , but I don't really know how to calculate it. I know if I eat too little, my metabolism will adjust and weight loss won't happen. So I'm shooting for 1300 - 1500 a day, but who knows whether that's good or not? It feels right, but we shall see.

Good luck in meeting your goal!

Last edited by jml2010; 04-25-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Victoria!

You're in the right place! It sounds like you've already made a lot of smart changes, good for you!
I can relate to you. I've had the store moment, I have three kids, no disabilities, but I'm a single mom in a foreign country and I must have energy and be strong in order to be on top of things. Okay, I can't relate to the blood donation since when I tried, I passed out three times - good for you for donating blood! And it's great that you found out about your cholesterol.

Not to overwhelm you, but if you have a cholesterol concern you might want to read (just read, you don't have to do the diet!) The South Beach Diet book. I learned a lot about blood chemistry and how it relates to diet from that book. Also, it really explained to me why I keep falling into a carb addiction trap, and how to get out of it. I think it's really useful reading for anyone trying to be conscious of how they eat!

Good luck with your changes, and be sure to keep checking in!!

Last edited by jml2010; 04-25-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling. Again.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 PM
FitDay Member

Hi - my name's Katie and I'd like to join this group. I'm turning 30 in a few months, 5'9" and 174 lbs, size 12. I'd like to get down to a size 8 (approx. 155-160 lbs I think).

I've been working out consistently for a year, and for the last 6 months I've been losing and gaining the exact same 5 lbs. It seems like the minute I get to 169 I start to self-sabotage and gain all the weight right back.

I know that my downfall is eating on weekends. During the week, I'm able to stick to eating good foods, controlling my portions, and sticking to my daily calories. I think it has to do with my week being very structured (wake up, go to work, go to gym, come home). But, the minute the weekend comes around - I lose ALL self-control. It's like a switch goes off in my head and my body goes, "woo-hoo! it's the weekend! time to have fun and who cares what goes in my body!!" I have no self-control come the weekend and it's completely counter-acting all of the good work I do during the week.

Anyone else run into that? What would you recommend to someone who has NO self-control come weekends?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM
FitDay Member

Good Morning Ladies!

I hope you all had a good weekend, including you Katie!

and Margaret, Thank You so much for sharing your weight loss strategy! i'm going to also try it and hopefuly i get some result too! i saw you have dropped some more weight!!!!!! wow!!! with the rate you're going, you'll get to your goal in no time!!!!! i'm really impressed!

i have to get into the exercise thing as well, i am much too lazy when it comes to exercising! i do treadmill or gazelle thing for a few weeks and then forget all about it! for a few weeks i also did the door knob pilate, but again, i stopped this time, i plan to join a gym, maybe that helps me to stay on track.

another problem i have, i estimate my food intake, instead of really measuring it. i guess my next step would be to get a food measuring scale as well. weight loss is such hard job! but i do have to do it this time, last night my son was saying, mom, seems your waist is getting so rounded and thick
i really did not like hearing that comment!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.