Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread starting 08/08/2011 >

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 08/08/2011

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread starting 08/08/2011

Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, I have to confess that I got that idea not from any training or parenting experience but because that's what I had to do when I, along with a group of other girls, was caught throwing wet wads of toilet paper up to make them stick to the ceiling of the girls' bathroom in fifth grade . It was a lot more effective than just having to do sentences or stay after school.

I have a close friend who is going through similar situations with his adult daughter and son. It's a hard place to be; what type of help, how much is too much, what if you see wrong choices...you never stop being a parent. Especially these days, I think a lot of parents are stepping in. Hope things settle down soon.

"Our Lady of the Perpetual Text Message" is just too darned funny!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, yep, you got me hooked on NM. So creamy and smooth, fresh tasting. Best I ever ate! Woah! I should have my ten year old granddaugter read your post about standing in the corner. She'd never complain about standing there again- I just have her stand there and if she asks if she can sit, I allow that, but tell her she still must face the corner.

Cassie, I couldn't help but chuckle as to WHY you had to write that essay in fifth grade. Wouldn't it be great if the teacher who gave you that essay punishment knew what a great lesson you had learned and what you chose as your profession?

Still have more catching up to do. What a bunch of yackers! Of course, I'm allowed, that's different. LOL Seriously, it's great to be able to chat with pals about life experiences, not only about food.

Will be back later.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, LOL on packing your eye bags to visit Rose. Congrats on your walk and gym! I've been slacking on exercise for the past three days! OMG, "Our Lady of Perpetual Text Message" gave me a huge chuckle. My 16 year old granddaughter texts on her cell phone and on my computer at the same time. She called me almost crying one day to ask me to drive her cell phone charger that she left at my house to her because she was almost out of power. I told her to call on her mother's or sister's cell phone whomever she was texting and get the conversation over with and she could charge her phone when she came over the next day. That went over like a lead balloon. LOL I have it much easier than you do, Hope. All you are going through with your daughter--I've been there with my own daughter. I don't have a daily battle with my grown kids like you do. It's just that for some of us, the parenting is never over. I can honesly say that I did the best I could with what information I had at the time, and the rest was up to my kids. I wasn't perfect, that's for sure, but it would have been nice if my kids had taken the ball (my "life teachings") and run with it. I think all you parents of teenagers are the ones who deserve the New Orleans parade, but I'll eat the King Cake, wear some shiny beads, and even raise my shirt when the floats go by. (That'll make people's eyes bleed. LOL) If you start posting in meows, I'll know you were REALLY eating the cat food.

Mike, congrats on trying to eliminate the junk carbs! Quite admirable! And congrats on being down to 171.4! Did you go fishing yet? If so, what was your catch?

Terri, thanks for your input. You don't have to be a mother to have common sense about the real world--and you've got it. You are so wise, and I value that. And thanks for your kind words of support. Big hug to ya! Good Lord! You're a mommy/problem fixer for a wall kicking grad student! You know exactly what we're talking about. I'll bet you had the urge to strangle her! LOL And freeing a mouse from a sticky pad? Hee Hee Hee. So what did you DO with it? I must admit that I, too, get annoyed that my diet, which is really important to me, suffers due to other people's problems. I didn't get to the gym all week, either--maybe tomorrow... On to more pleasant stuff: your week's average of 1510 is quite admirable, too and your total calorie deficit of 1885 is something of which to be proud. I hope you got in that good workout with some new moves and that you're back on track with the food.

Cassie, you are so funny--"preposition overload." LOL I have a problem with run-on sentences and too many dashes. Wow, we sure have the animal lovers around here--Terri and your DH. I'm fine with just plain mouse traps. What a hilarious story about your son's honesty award. But at the same time, it's wonderful that he knows the value of honesty. My son was a terrible liar as well, but it's because he literally stuck his tongue in he cheek when he wasn't telling the truth--it was a dead give-away. I never told him how I knew because I didn't want it to change. I lied to HIM and told him I could tell by his eyes that he was lying. LOL I totally agree with you--it's hard to know exactly how much help is TOO much help. Whenever I have to step in and help my kids/grandkids with problem solving, I do so willingly, and then I try to be kindly, yet motherly/grandmotherly, in pointing out that this is something they SHOULD be able to handle themselves and that they must LEARN to do so. And I remind them there is another alternative to self-inflicted problems: don't get themselves in such jams to begin with. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I echo Terri, "Trying to catch up, but if I miss anyone, trust me, it's not on purpose!!"

Going to turn over the computer to DH for the evening. Thanks for all the sharing today. What a great group!

Hugs to all and wishing everyone a great night's sleep.

Last edited by Mern; 08-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

I am so bored, today would make such a great cheat day. I was going to cut the grass but it rained earlier and my backyard holds so much water, it's like a swamp. I swear my grass is 2 feet tall b/c it rains before it has time to dry out. I'm still waiting to hear from my friend about fishing, if I were in a boat with nothing but water around me I wouldn't be thinking about food so damn much.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM
FitDay Member

Aw, Mike, sorry you're so bored. My daughter's yard is small and holds water a lot--too much clay in her soil, I think, plus being so flat it doesn't have good drainage anyway. I hope you find something to do so you can keep your mind off food. You could kill some time by taking doors off their hinges, unscrewing light bulbs, etc. That would keep you out of the fridge. Better yet, go stand in the corner if you even go NEAR that fridge to grab an illegal snack. LOL

Goodnight.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

lol

I've been lazy today for sure and having two lazy dogs that want to lay around with me doesn't help any. It's all their fault.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

Oh my word, longest week ever! Just checking in to say I'm in PA and getting settled! Not entirely sure how this week has gone, food wise. I think I'm doing okay, but I haven't had time/energy to log my food the last couple of days - something about spending 13 hours driving will do that to you! Anyway, I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things starting this coming week.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM
FitDay Member

Joanna, hi! Glad to see you made it safely to PA and are getting settled in. I hope you can have a good rest tonight/tomorrow and recuperate from that long drive.

Yeah, Mike, I totally understand that you're a victim. I don't have pets, but neither the parakeet down the street nor Santa's reindeer would let me exercise for the past three days. Terri didn't exercise yesterday because of a mouse deliberately throwing itself on a mouse-catching sticky pad to prevent her from having time to exercise. It's an animal conspiracy beyond our control.

Last edited by Mern; 08-13-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mern, those darn pesky animals! I had to cut my walk short, I only went .88mi although I had intentions of 3 miles. I couldn't get my stride right and it felt like shin splints again. If I don't get this right I'm going to have a rough 13.1 miles ahead of me.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

1) Eat clean 6 days (only 1 cheat day): no, yes, yes (I guess??), yes, yes, yes
2) 3000 calories deficient for the week: +175, -483, (0??), -1174, -749, -645 (-2876 so far)
3) Weigh in on Monday and post a picture of the scale & my weight goal chart: yes
4) Make my food log public: yes 01gt4.6 - free online diet and fitness journal
5) walk 10 miles: 4.01, 3.0, no, 3.0, 0, .88 (10.89 so far)
6) gallon of water a day: yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes
7) work out 2 times: no, yes, no, yes, no, no (2 days so far)
9) daily:
vitamin yes, yes, (Doctor says no for 24 hrs. wft?), no, yes, yes
floss yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
10) no more than 2 servings of nuts per day (including peanut butter) yes (2, unless a Butterfinger Blast counts as nuts). yes (2), yes (2), yes(2), yes (0), yes (2)
11) 5 servings of veggies a day (green veggies don't get logged) NOPE (maybe one with the veggies on my sammich, but I doubt it), yes (5), no (0), yes (5), yes (6), yes (5)
12) no bread (of any kind) for 2 days no, no, no, yes, yes, no (2 days so far)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.