Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25

Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default Oh that crazy scale...

Well it's a good thing I didn't make a goal to limit when I'm going to hop on the scale (I just did a weekly "weigh in" goal, which will be my "official" number).

I got on the scale this morning and I wanted to point on a some things.
  1. I weighed myself at the same time (about 8am)
  2. I weighed myself on the same floor (same spot, same scale)
  3. I always weigh twice to make sure I get the same number b/c I know a digital scale can do tricky stuff.
  4. I felt like I was retaining fat, not water, b/c my calories had been so high, up until yesterday.
This morning the scale read 171.6, both times. So I scratch my bald head, I'm like hmmm how can that be? I can't be down 6 pounds in one day. It's just not possible. I'd have to go 8-9 days with NO food.

I stand in front of the mirror, b/c the mirror never lies. My stomach looks much flatter, my belly button isn't quite as deep as yesterday. So I'm trying to figure this out and can't make heads or tails of it.

So I grab my phone and go in to the same bathroom as yesterday to take another picture in front of the same mirror. I must say the mirror lever lies, and the pictures never lie. I think I was seeing what I wanted to see in the mirror. It didn't lie, I did. Because when I look at the pic from yesterday and today, there is an ever so slight difference, not like I originally saw this morning in the mirror.

I still can't explain the 6 pounds, other than it's a false reading. I'll go by what the scale says next Monday.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 07-26-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

That's interesting, Mern. I'd heard nitrates were carcinogenic, of course, but not that they could stall weight loss. I've been eating turkey lunch meat at least once a day, and of course, it's got nitrates! Too bad I stored up on it last week I think my grocery store carries Hormel Naturals, which is supposed to be nitrate free, so when I run through the stuff I've got, I'll give it a whirl.

Cassie and Lizzie - carb reducing is HARD! I was looking through my foods to find what the big carb things were, and one of them is my cereal, so I've taken to eating Greek yogurt with fruit, which I imagine will help. Unfortunately, I also got a great deal of fiber from the cereal, so... Goodness if it's not one thing, it's another!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mike, any chance the six pounds up could be the one that was an artificial reading? Either that or the Miracle Scale Fairy visited you like she did me yesterday.

Joanna, I hear you. I'm playing with my food log and finding I'm throwing in all sorts of nuts and cheese to balance it out today just based on the meals planned. Just keep in mind that unless you have medical contraindications, not all carbs are bad...and that your body needs the ones like fruits and whole grains. It took me a while to figure out the percentage I could live with but still feel healthy at. You'll be an old pro pretty soon!

Mern, I surely hope your back is better soon. I'm sorry that happened. You didn't miss your goals by much; you're only slightly sideways on the horse, so slide your booty back on and have a great day!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Cassie,

I doubt it. My diet has been really bad for a while. As I said in the other thread, I hover around 173-174. I was down to 169 a few weeks ago but it leveled back off around 174. I can totally believe that I went from 174 to 177ish with my binge eating.

Doing the math that would be like being over 10,500 calories (3500cals x 3 pounds). I don't doubt for one minute that in the last week alone I hit +10,000 or more. I really think I averaged 3k-4k per day but have no idea. My average daily burn is probably ~2200. So to be at +10,500 for the week I'd have to be +1500/ day.
2200+1500= 3700 calories per day, which would sound about right.

That's not including the bad eating from prior weeks.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Mike I think I know the reason for the 6 pounds -- PMS that happens when you hang around on a women only forum. You have to watch it. Maybe that's why you were miserable last week. Hanging out on an all female forum can be dangerous.

I am sitting at my desk craving Chinese Food. I have my weekly weight in tomorrow and will be up if I have it. I'm afraid I'm going to have to risk it. I will only eat 1/2 the serving so it will be water gain not fat. I guess that will set me up for a better loss next week! The lunch I brought is not all that healthy so I think I'll go for it. Mary
Old 07-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kumochi
Mike I think I know the reason for the 6 pounds -- PMS that happens when you hang around on a women only forum. You have to watch it. Maybe that's why you were miserable last week. Hanging out on an all female forum can be dangerous.

I am sitting at my desk craving Chinese Food. I have my weekly weight in tomorrow and will be up if I have it. I'm afraid I'm going to have to risk it. I will only eat 1/2 the serving so it will be water gain not fat. I guess that will set me up for a better loss next week! The lunch I brought is not all that healthy so I think I'll go for it. Mary
I think you're smart, Mary. I know with me, if I have a real craving for something, I end up eating a ton of other things to satisfy it, but give in eventually anyway, making all the substitutions unsatisfying extra calories. You've planned ahead and I think you'll be just fine.

Mike, my numbers don't make sense either, but today was the third day in a row my scale's read lower than by all rights it should have. Hope you get the same mojo and that next Monday's weigh-in is a good one.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie but I was saved by my favourite Chinese take out being closed at noon. They have reduced their hours. I ate my lunch and the craving is gone for now. I have to make it by the take out fries on my way to sailing lessons. If the craving comes back I'll pick up chinese instead. I should have brough a protein drink to work to get me through to my late supper.

Mary
Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

Just ducking in quickly--gotta get some chores done and then will be back in later to catch up.

My back is feeling much better since it went wierd this morning--just slightly sore now and a burning sensation. I'll be able go to the Y tonight and do at least some gentle treadmill walking.

Made it to the butcher shop and got both in-store made, low sodium, natural roast beef. Only thing added is a small amount of salt and pepper. Also, they had Boars Head brand low sodium turkey breast--no nitrates/nitrates.

Joanna, like you I had only known of the carcinogenic apects of nitrates. My current doc and the one I had before both knew I was managing my pre- diabetes through low carb, but neither had mentioned avoiding nitrates for either blood sugar control or weight loss. Well DUH! Maybe they thought I already knew, though. Yeah, Hormel Naturals (had forgotten the name--thanks!) thats the brand my Kroger store carries that's "minimally processed" with no nitrates. Comes in that light brown and red natural looking paper packaging, as if made from recycled paper--might be, I dunno. You should love this--low carbers can DEDUCT fiber from their total carb count, because fiber is a carb that has little to no impact on blood sugar.

Last edited by Mern; 07-26-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, Mern, I learned that about the fiber just a few weeks ago. The way I determine how much insulin to take before a meal is using a carb to insulin ratio. My when I was trying to figure out my insulin levels, my nutritionist told me that I was supposed to deduct the fiber amount from the carb amount, and I was like, shouldn't someone have told me that a long time ago? But anyway, it's not surprise that if it changes how much insulin I take, fiber is obviously processed differently than other carbs.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Ducking in quickly AGAIN. Will try to get to catching up with all the posts later.

Cassie, aw, I hope all goes well on your trip home and that the disagreement can be resolved to your satisfaction and happiness. I started reading Mindless Eating and really love it so far. Only read the first two chapters, but found it to be a real eye opener. Didn't think it actually applied to me--just checked out the book due to curiosity. But yup, it DOES apply to me. I love the reengineering strategies so far and am taking notes. Haven't previewed The End of Overeating yet--just grabbed it off the library shelf. "Cardiodiabesity" is a real mouthful but it's a really good term. Don't know that it's admirable--I'm managing my blood sugar, cholesterol and triglyceride issues through diet only because I'm scared of drug interactions from multiple prescriptions. You're leaving tomorrow, right? Wishing you a wonderful, peaceful trip.

MAIN80--great idea to tackle one thing at a time--cheese now, cookies later.
I'm making nitrates/nitrites my top priority. Will tackle my problem food areas one at a time as well.

Last edited by Mern; 07-26-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.