Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25

Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM
FitDay Member

Quinn, so sorry about the PITA! Hope you heal quickly! I know you'll make the right decision about the bike, one way or the other.

Quinn and Mike, hats off to the two of you for getting back on the wagon. I've heard so often it's harder to maintain than to lose. But I know both of you can do it.

Lizzie, good luck with keeping up with all the posts this week. We're an awfully talkative group. LOL You have done so well with your weight loss thus far. Keep up the good work! I hope your wait until your holidays goes quickly.

Mai, welcome back. Sorry about your regain--happens to all of us at times. Yes, we do get addicted to the carbohydrates/natural sugars in starchy foods such as rice and noodles. Good for you for recognizing that and limiting your intake. Best wishes--you can do it!

Last edited by Mern; 07-25-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, I totally agree--it IS surprisingly easy to mess up. I'm so glad your scale was nice to you. My scale is notorious for weighing more than my doc's scale, but I've never heard of a home scale that weighs you less than what it should. So I'll bet you DO deserve that lower number than you expected. Great looking goals this week! House of Schizophrenic Food? Is that a real place or is that your mom's house? LOL I'll bet you'll look and feel fantastic at the beach. Hope that computer holds out!

Thanks SO MUCH for posting about the seminar. I copied your post to my hard drive for future reference. Hope you don't mind.

I have wondered lately about why I'm so obese and so healthy--only problem is my glaucoma. I consider my high cholesterol and high triglycerides only numbers or risks, not diseases. Next month I'll have another blood test and see if my dietary plan of attack is helping at all. It is SO REFRESHING to see that other diets besides low fat/low cal are getting the recognition they deserve if they work well.

Yeah, I agree. I like the "bargain type" diets, too. I'm on low carb to control blood sugar and I consider the weight loss a bonus. Oh, I forgot to tell you. My DH has quit taking his low dose of high blood pressure medicine because he's PO'd with his doctor right now for not refilling his prescription without another visit he thinks is unnecessary. He's going more low carb now, and his blood pressure is almost normal without meds right now. I've read that low carb can reduce high blood pressure. I'm encouraging him to go back to the doc and discuss controlling it through diet but I don't know if she approves of her patients being pro-active.

I'll have to check out Gaesser's book. I've heard of it. But I may be easily swayed by his opinion--the way he splits hairs regarding obesity--because of my "self-convinced" opinion on my triglycerides and cholesterol. LOL I'll have to be careful to step back and decide if I believe his opinions or just WANT to believe them because it's more convenient for me--less work for me than thinking or researching.

Oh, Lordy, I am going to have to read up more on obesity's higher risk for cognitive dementia! Becoming demented like my mom is my very worst fear in life.

Again, thanks for sharing the points of interest on your seminars. Very good food for thought!

On a lighter note, I am TOTALLY looking forward to reading what's in your mom's pantry. LOL

Last edited by Mern; 07-25-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, I skimmed Gaesser's book at the library today. I didn't pick it up because I thought I had read it before, but I was thinking of Low Fat Lies. Anyway, the book seems to have a hefty chunk of info as to why fat is not as bad as those a generation ago would have had us believe. Also, the distinction between visceral fat and subcutaneous fat is addressed. I know you're on a good plan and don't need a book to tell you that. Sometimes we truly do have information overload! I got the other two books, though; we'll see how they are.

The House of Schizophrenic Food is indeed my mom and sister's house. I call it that because my mom is a junk food junkie and always has been, and when the kids and grandkids come, it's even worse. However, she now lives with my sister, who years back lost 65 pounds on WW and who buys very healthy stuff (albeit a lot of "diet" products as opposed to real food). It is quite a dichotomy. My mom keeps the worst offenders back in her sitting room and bedroom, but she leaves some things in the kitchen, so my sister covers them with paper towels like little shrouds so she won't notice them.

No wonder I have food issues, right?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, I like the name - "House of the Schizophrenic Food" - that's hilarious!

Mern, in answer to your question last week, I haven't really done/thought too much about moving yet - I still have a couple of weeks. I think next week is when I'm going to have to haul out the boxes and actually start doing something.

Mike, you sound very determined, good luck!

Okay, so... goals... let's see:
1.) Stay under 1550 calories/day
2.) Drink at least 64 oz. water/day
3.) Try for less carbs, more protein

Short list this week. I was a little peeved this morning that my weekly weight loss didn't reflect the amount of calories I burned, by any stretch of the imagination, but there was some loss, so I'll take it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM
FitDay Member

Quinn - really sorry to hear about your injury, hope it settles soon.

Cassie - they keep moving the goalposts so it's hard to know what to cut back on to stay healthy. I reckon that everything in moderation is not a bad mantra but i am aware that some people need to avoid certain foods because of specific health issues. I am worried about the lack of calcium in my diet, I don't drink milk, or eat much cheese, or yogurts
and I am getting to that age where old bones start to thin.
I see that you are heading to the beach, I was reading an article on swimwear and it got me thinking of all the ways I used to prepare for the beach or the pool. Position yourself close to the edge of the beach or the pool steps so that you don't have far to walk to the water, keep your cover up on until the last possible moment, stay in the water as long as you can and wait until most of the other bathers are lying down or reading before you emerge. Usually it took me ages to get up the courage to go for that swim. However I solved the problem on my last three big holidays, we rented a villa with a pool so there was no one else around to see me.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

Ended last week with 4 days of stress although today it turned into good stress as I was able to do a good job, get positive feedback, enjoy the respect from the police and court security as they were searching everyone else connected with the case but would wave me through. It was worth the 4 days of stress plus I'm designating the money I earned towards a trip to Greece next year. Now to get back to my Y exercises and less salt! My calories are not bad but my weight is up -- likely from the nitrates in the sausage.

This week 3 Y workouts and los of other exercise.

Calories 1500

Continue eating from freezer with some fresh fruit and veggie additions. I may do this the next 3 weeks to go on holidays with an empty freezer. I buy too much ahead.

Mary
Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie, I was surprised that no branch of our county public library has Big Fat Lies, but I could get it on half.com for as cheap as 75 cents plus shipping if I decide I want it. I was able to check out both Mindless Eating and The End of Overeating. I must confess I'm not an avid reader, but I'm curious about what they have to say. LOL on your mom's food stash in the bedroom and your sister's food shrouds. Yeah, may as well blame our families for our problems. LOL

Joanna, let us know when you need help packing---and we'll cheer you on. LOL Good, simple goals this week! Congrats on your loss, even though smaller than you earned. I've been on a plateau all month, but I know from experience to just keep on doing what I'm doing and eventually I'll have a whoosh of a few pounds lost practically overnight.

Lizzie, there's a good list of alternative calcium sources (as opposed to dairy) at Milk Matters Calcium Education Campaign. A few are broccoli, almonds, spinach, bok choy. My protein shakes are fortified with calcium. I also read elsewhere that calcium supplements should be taken with food and be sure you're also getting enough vitamin D to help your body absorb calcium.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Mary, I'm so glad your stressful court case is over. Aw, a trip to Greece next year is a wonderful idea! You surely earned that. I use salt substitute but sometimes forget about the nitrates. I've noticed that my favorite grocery store chain now carries several meat items with less to no nitrates. Nice to see that more healthful trend. I wish I had a big freezer--just have the small one above the fridge. Nice simple pre-holidays goals, Mary! Congrats on that!

Amy, are you home yet? We miss you!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I just got back from a short walk. I only did a mile b/c I was trying to find my pace. I think I've got it so I may head back out and do a couple more miles.

Well after looking at the damage that I've caused... I must say my belly button has gotten much deeper. Joanna, I am very determined. I screwed around too long with my diet and exercise and it's time to get busy! I usually drop weight pretty fast (at least I did when I was much bigger) but it's going to be tough to drop 8 pounds in 5 weeks. I guess we'll see if I can pull it off.

Mern, I've been off the wagon long enough. It's time for me to get in the drivers seat and take control. Yeah, were is Amy? I'm still waiting to kick her butt in some Words With Friends.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
FitDay Member

Mike, sounds like a good challenge is just what you need - I know you've said maintaining can be really difficult, so nothing like a swift kick in the pants to get you up in running!

Mary, how 'bout you take me in your suitcase to Greece? I think it's a great idea! Maybe even by next year, I'd actually fit...

1.) Stay under 1550 calories/day: Yes
2.) Drink at least 64 oz. water/day: Yes
3.) Try for less carbs, more protein: Not awesome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.