Notices

Excercising while sick?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Excercising while sick?

Hi. I would like to know you guys' advice on this. Well, recently I have come down with the flu. Today is the start of my 6th week on Couch to 5K. Yesterday, was a "rest" day for me. But since I am not feeling well...should I still go running or would that be more damage than good? I am just afraid that I will get out of shape or something and have to go backwards. Obviously, you don't get over the flu in just one day..it takes a couple days and I do not want to go without running for that long.
Also, if it makes any difference, I am in highschool. I don't know if it does, lol.

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by DeathArrow
Hi. I would like to know you guys' advice on this. Well, recently I have come down with the flu. Today is the start of my 6th week on Couch to 5K. Yesterday, was a "rest" day for me. But since I am not feeling well...should I still go running or would that be more damage than good? I am just afraid that I will get out of shape or something and have to go backwards. Obviously, you don't get over the flu in just one day..it takes a couple days and I do not want to go without running for that long.
Also, if it makes any difference, I am in highschool. I don't know if it does, lol.

Thanks!!
Hi DeathArrow ,

Do you really flu flu, or is it a little flu colds ect. Then you, it is good to if you have a small flu every day at least just to go outside. I would recommend it to order instead. too hard to walk and run you less efforts in other activities, take extra vitamin pills bijvoorbeeld so helping your body recover. Span your not too much because your body has also power to recover but remain small things you can do .
Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

I don't think running is a good idea while you are sick. You could do a little "in home" exercising, stretching, some floor exercises maybe. But listen to your body, if you are feeling tired then your body is demanding REST! You will only make yourself sicker if you push yourself too hard while sick. I have been a Mom for over 30 years, so believe what I tell you!! LOL!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

I have always heard that conventional wisdom is if your symptoms are above the neck, it's okay to exercise; if they are below the neck, hold off.

I have no idea of the veracity of this...may be an old wives' tale. Just listen to your body.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
FitDay Member

I've read the same thing Cassie has on this one. And I've had a trainer tell me the same thing. Especially in the early days of establishing the exercise habit, I think they want to make sure we stay on track. I'm also a big believer in listening to my body. If I'm sick and run down, I take a day off and take care of myself. I try to drink lots of water, eat healthy (if I can keep it down) and rest. Usually I'm back on track within a day or two. Hopefully you will be too. Keep us posted!