Notices

7 Day Motivational Summertime Fun Thread starting 07/04/2011

Old 07-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poetstorm
OK, I’m in need of some advice from the veterans please.

I have been invited out to a restaurant and then to a bar afterward with some friends. I want to go but I’m still pretty inexperienced with calories and all. Can anyone tell me what low calories drinks I can get at the bar? And any recommendations on what I can order at a burger joint / steakhouse that would be reasonable would be great too.

I’m trying my best to save 1,000 calories for this outing tonight. I really don’t want to blow my good trends this week but I haven’t seen these friends in a while. Thanks!
I'm not a super veteran, but I'll throw in my two cents... for alcohol I tend to stick with light beer or wine if I'm up for purely low calories. It's usually about 100 cals a glass for low-cal beer, and sometimes less. Red wines have more calories, so the lightest wines are white wines -- zinfadels tend to be the lowest calorie, but chardonnays aren't bad either (I think 90-ish calories for a 4 oz. serving, on average). Liquors and mixed drinks will push your calorie count up -- a standard highball (liquor plus soda, like a Jack and Coke) will usually run you about 150 cals per serving - not good, but not terrible. Mojitos aren't terrible either. (I swear I'm not a lush! >.>)

As for food -- if you're going to a chain restaurant, odds are you can look up their appetizers/food beforehand on line and try to pick out something that is the MOST in-line with your personal diet (though you're probably going to have a high-sodium night no matter what!). That's what I do. If I can't look at the menu, and I'm going to a local burger joint or steakhouse, I try to see if they have any baked seafood on the menu (hopefully not smothered with cheese ) and get that. If you just want a burger, get one without cheese, and see what options they have for sides if you can do better than fries -- maybe you can sub veggies? If they have grilled chicken sandwiches, that's sometimes a little better than a burger (though sometimes not!) With salads, I always ask for dressing on the side and I get vinaigrette.

I'm not a steak eater, so maybe steak is better! I'm not sure.

Appetizers are usually a minefield of EEK when it comes to my diet. If they have something like steamed dumplings I'll try to split that with someone, but in general I try to avoid them. Others might have a better idea than me on that

Another trick -- I also often only eat half of what's on my plate and save it - I'll bring it home and weigh it, then I know how much I ate for dinner and can log it more accurately (because I've weighed the other half, and can just go from that!) and I'll eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

OMG, Terri!

I LOVE the No Button! I only wish I had had it during the past two years when I screwed up! (Which was often.)

I'm giving it to my daughter for the college app process! lol
Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

I think unintentional calories like Quinn's root beer should be automatically negated.

I second the motion! That stupid root beer messed up my calories for the day. In my house, any soda is diet, so I don't think twice about having one. I forgot that hers was full sugar/full calorie.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Two things to remember on your night out. Alcohol leads to relaxed monitoring of your calories. If I have two glasses of wine my food choices will be bad. If you can have water you save on calories and remain in control of your food intake. If you want alcohol you can always make every second drink a glass of water. You are wise to be planning ahead. I had appetizers last night because a friend ordered them to share and left them in front of me. I counted them as my supper so my calorie count wasn't too bad but I felt like crap from the grease and salt. Beware the shared apps!

I hope your planning does you well and you can maintain your week's work. Remember nothing tastes as good as being fit feels.

It's too bad we all require food and drinks when we socialize. Need to invent some new way of getting together without the calories. Mary
Old 07-08-2011, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
OMG, Terri!

I LOVE the No Button! I only wish I had had it during the past two years when I screwed up! (Which was often.)

I'm giving it to my daughter for the college app process! lol
LOL!

I discovered it a couple of years ago with a friend of mine when he was going through the process of applying for FAFSA. We were goofing off and saying "nooooooo!" in dramatic fashion, and then were silly and typed it into google -- and Lo and Behold, a BUTTON!

I have used it often for life's little annoyances - it makes me laugh AND reminds me that it's ok! So glad you love it!!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Check-in for Thursday:

My goals for this week:

1. Eat between 1300-1500 calories per day... 980 calories
2. Drink 10-12 glasses of water per day... 10 glasses
3. Go on walks 3 to 4 times this week... I did truck yesterday at work 7am to 12pm, so I walked 20,233 steps, 9.580 miles, 546.2 calories
4. Take my multivitamins No... I fell asleep before I could
5. Increase my fiber intake... Yes
6. Take measurements... No
7. Weight myself daily and write it down... Yes

Other goals:

1. Clean the extra bedroom out... Worked on it ^_^
2. Take my bed out of storage and place it in extra bedroom... No
3. Empty out boxes for the bedroom... No
4. Apply for a new job... No, but did an interview yesterday
5. Keep boyfriend on track with his diet... Yes

WOOT! A half pound off ^_^

Last edited by ChibiSub; 07-08-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Terri, are you going to move to Australia? lol
I hope you have a better day today.

Poetstorm, you have some good suggestions already; the only thing I could add would be to keep in mind that if you happen to go over in celebrating, take a few days after to make it up. Just go a couple hundred under each day for the next few to make up the overage; that often works better than trying to compensate all the next day. Sometimes I try to do that a few days leading up to an event, but it's hard to do that when it's a spur of the moment thing. Enjoy yourself!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
Another trick -- I also often only eat half of what's on my plate and save it - I'll bring it home and weigh it, then I know how much I ate for dinner and can log it more accurately (because I've weighed the other half, and can just go from that!) and I'll eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Thanks for all the tips! Now that last one is really clever. I have done the splitting meals in half before to save on calories but it never dawned on me that it would make it easier to weigh.

Originally Posted by Kumochi
… Beware the shared apps!

I hope your planning does you well and you can maintain your week's work. Remember nothing tastes as good as being fit feels.

It's too bad we all require food and drinks when we socialize. Need to invent some new way of getting together without the calories. Mary
Thanks! I’m definitely staying away from the apps now. And I agree. We need some sort of a non-food coffee house or something with books and a few table games like chess or something. Everything seems to revolve around food. LOL

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Terri, are you going to move to Australia? lol
Poetstorm, you have some good suggestions already; the only thing I could add would be to keep in mind that if you happen to go over in celebrating, take a few days after to make it up. Just go a couple hundred under each day for the next few to make up the overage; that often works better than trying to compensate all the next day. Sometimes I try to do that a few days leading up to an event, but it's hard to do that when it's a spur of the moment thing. Enjoy yourself!
Thanks for the advice. That makes me feel a little better. I was trying to save 1,000 calories today. Thinking it would be healthier and also increase my protein I had a few ounces of roasted chicken with cranberry sauce for lunch. But it turns out cranberry sauce is loaded with calories! I’m now at 770 out of 1566 calories to eat per day. Yikes.

That’s my biggest challenge that I need to work on. I keep getting surprised by the calories in things. I figure a lot of that will come with experience as well

So worst case I may go over but I like the idea of making it up over a few days. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate all the advice! I’ll post how I did either tonight or tomorrow morning. Hope you all have a nice evening.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
FitDay Member

Quick note guys, stepped on and broke my laptop. I'e no idea when I'll be able to get it fied / get a new one cause I'm flat broke. So I can update my blog ia my mobile, but won't be checking in here for a while.
Best of luck to you all, I'll try to get on once a day at work, but I always feel guilty using work's internet.
You can reach me at [email protected] if you wanna keep in touch, it could be well oer a month before I am back online.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Looking over my week, it seems my biggest problem is that I'm not eating enough fruits and vegetables anymore and replacing them with more carby choices. Starting Monday, this will have to be priority #1. All other areas in my attempt to maintain seem to be habit now.

Looks like everyone is having a fairly successful week. Let's keep the ball rolling through the weekend!

Good Luck!

Back To Basics:

*Calories under 1200. 1056, 1087, 1432 (stupid root beer), 1097

*Log EVERYTHING! Yep, Yes, Yes, Yes

*Walk daily. Yep, No (but did other sports), Yes, No

*4 fruits and vegetables daily... major slip lately. Yep, no, no (I seem to see a pattern here), no

*Take one hour per day to shut down, rest, nap, shop, whatever to maintain good emotional health. Fail (...although I did spend the afternoon in my kitchen, which is my therapy. I know that I'm always at peace there.) Yes, several. Yes. Yes.

Last edited by quinnesec; 07-08-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.