Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Summertime Fun Thread starting 07/04/2011 >

7 Day Motivational Summertime Fun Thread starting 07/04/2011

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Summertime Fun Thread starting 07/04/2011

Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

My jaw is dropping that someone is actually trying to pass off a carrot cake as "made primarily with vegetables." It was very sweet of your hubby to make the effort, Mern. My DH's b-day is in August and last year I did a search to find the healthiest carrot cake I could, but, still, healthy and mostly veggies it is not! Although it is my favorite . I'm so glad you had a good day!

Quinn, I'm sorry about the stealth calories in the root beer. I have faith that it won't throw you off track. Hope your mom is doing okay.

Hope, thanks for all the info. I find fibro confusing, since it looks different in different people; I've a couple friends who suffer with it. Get some rest, eat well, and feel better soon.

Good job on the greenies, wowgirl88 .
Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
FitDay Member

Wow...carrot cake = healthful? Next they'll be telling us cannolis are healthy too. They are made with cheese!

Goals:
Eat 1500 calories per day - 1510 / 1460 / 1577

Try to be more prepared in knowing the calories if I eat out so there aren't any surprises. :P - Y / Y / so-so

Exercise at least 3 hours this week - 1 hour / 40 minutes / 1 hour

Try to get out for lunchtime walks 2 - 3 days this week - 1/3 / 2/3 / 2/3 still

Other goals:
Do more house cleaning - N / N / N

Put away the laundry on time this week - Yep! All done for the week.

spend at least 2 hours writing N / N / 1 hour

do some work on my website N / N / 30 min

Not too bad so far. Went a tad bit over my calories because I estimated when I ate dinner and then logged the reality. And I REALLY need to get back to the house cleaning but it has been so terribly hot here. I'm practically dripping sweat. Hmm...I wonder if sweating burns calories. LOL
Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
FitDay Member

Today was a really busy, productive day. Calories went over due to the root beer slip, but overall, it was a good day.

Mern,

So far, I think the July birthdays include you, Terri and I. Anyone else? I'm the 19th... 29 again... and again... and again... lol

Thank you to all who have asked about my mom. She's doing much better than 2 weeks ago, although I have my doubts that she'll ever fully regain her strength. There are good days and bad days so I've learned to pace myself and when I hit a good day, I make sure to recharge my batteries. I really hope that she'll recover enough to go to lunch or to the movies, etc. like we used to, but we'll see... one day at a time. Thanks again to all who asked.

Back To Basics:

*Calories under 1200. 1056, 1087, 1432 (stupid root beer)

*Log EVERYTHING! Yep, Yes, Yes

*Walk daily. Yep, No (but did other sports), Yes

*4 fruits and vegetables daily... major slip lately. Yep, no, no (I seem to see a pattern here)

*Take one hour per day to shut down, rest, nap, shop, whatever to maintain good emotional health. Fail (...although I did spend the afternoon in my kitchen, which is my therapy. I know that I'm always at peace there.) Yes, several. Yes.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I've been super busy and have to leave for the gym it 10 mins so I'll knock out as many replies as I can.
Originally Posted by MAIN80

1. Weekly calorie deficit of 6000: 604, 451, 755 (1810)
2. Drink 3.5 L of water per day: Yes, No, Yes
3. Walk dog 3 times this week: No, No, No
4. Finish two lessons: No, No, One down
5. Work on the handbook: No, No, No
6. Deal with the inbox,: A little, a little more, getting there
Good job on the calories! Shooting for -6000 seems insane to me but that's only b/c I know I can't do it. Now go take the dog for a walk damn it!

Originally Posted by Rubystars
Stay under calorie limit - good so far

Maintain a positive atitude about myself and the progress I'll be making. - yes

Find some fun looking exercise videos to use that I don't think will injure me. - not yet

Try to drink enough water. - yes doing better on this

Get well from the bronchitis so I can go back to work at the end of my vacation week. - not quite yet
what is your calorie limit? I hope that you get to feeling better.

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
So I had an AMAZING run/walk yesterday morning. I am just in heaven out there, even though it's hard and I sweat a whole gallon. I love it! For 2 weeks now I have been doing really well and I was pretty excited about getting on the scale this morning but guess what? My excitement was soon replaced with total shock. It appears that I have GAINED a pound. That's right Ladies and Mike. I have gained a pound as a result of all my logging and running and healthy eating. Yay me! I'm so angry right now that I can barely sit still to write this. Also I am bloody confused... the only thing I can think of is that I am not sleeping very much AT ALL! I don't know what is wrong with me but I wake up several times during the night and then my dog wakes me up at 5am every morning because he has kidney problems and has to pee at that time now. It's a nightmare. Can this lack of sleep throw my metabolism so off whack? I am pretty upset that all my hard work seems to have NOT paid off at all. The only thing I can do from now on, is take my measurements and rely on that for progress. Also I need to keep going forward obviously, because at some point this 'calories in versus calories out' equation has to pay off. It just has to. Right?

P.S. I am not adding a pound to my signature. That pound can just go and ____ itself.

P.P.S. I hope I'm not bringing anyone down. I just had to vent. You've all been so encouraging and wonderful.

My goals for this week:

1. Eat between 1100-1400 calories per day. YES 1131/ YES 1232/YES 1297
2. Drink 10-12 glasses of water per day. DONE!/ DONE!/ DONE
3. Exercise 4 hours this week. 40 min./45 min. (total so far: 1 hour 25 min.)
4. Take my multivitamin. YES/ YES/YES
5. Eat 30% protein or more. YES 44%/ YES 30%/YES 41%
6. Stay away from that sugar! YES!/ RESISTED!/YES!

Other goals:

1. Put up the solar blind in the kitchen!
2. Apply sealer to the coffee table. DID IT!
3. Get copy of key made.
4. Water the flowers. YES/YES
5. Mail package.
[/quote]great job on all your goals so far! Can I fill in the ____? Don't worry about that pound and I don't know if sleep affects your metabolism much. I wake up all during the night, drinking a gallon of water a day doesn't help either.

Originally Posted by cjohnson728

I'm jealous of your busy work! I'd switch if I could. I'm self employed, so no work means no paycheck. Last week I worked half a day; this week, nothing. Which means Martha Stewart will take over my body soon and start baking and doing projects.
I feel your pain, trust me! It has been picking up for me but I'm sure there's more crazy people out there than people wanting to buy insurance.

Originally Posted by poetstorm

Goals:
Eat 1500 calories per day - 1510 / 1460
Try to be more prepared in knowing the calories if I eat out so there aren't any surprises. :P - Y / Y
Exercise at least 3 hours this week - 1 hour / 40 minutes
Try to get out for lunchtime walks 2 - 3 days this week - 1/3 / 2/3

Other goals:
Do more house cleaning - N / N
Put away the laundry on time this week - Yep! All done for the week.
spend at least 2 hours writing N / N
do some work on my website N / N
planning ahead is the key to a successful diet, unfortunately for me the only thing that I plan is my cheat day. Great job on your goals now it's time to get cracking on your "other" goals.

Originally Posted by Kumochi
I'm feeling better now that the scales is moving down again. Ate healthy whitefish at dinner last night, low on activity but a fair defecit.
Congrats on the scale going south!

Originally Posted by poetstorm
Good question. I often wonder about a lot of firsts. This is my very first time really trying to lose weight, so I haven't run into the unmoving scale problem yet. I'm sure I will at some point. Right now I'm just at the beginning where you lose a lot of water weight so it's encouraging to see pounds drop so fast. It may not last long but I'm loving it at the moment.
The scale will stop at one point but will be here to keep you going! When it does just keep plugging away then it'll move again.

Originally Posted by taubele

You know it's funny - when I was on a plateau I was working my butt of and NO SCALE BUDGING. I took some days off and went off plan a bit and the scale went down like 5 lbs. in a week and a half. Really, scale? You're telling me you like me being a lazy bum? Pfffft. The scale is being wonky, but you know you're doing well girl! The calories in and out will pay off in the end, and you're getting awesome runner's high when you're going out - that has to be worth a lot, right? You can do it! Have fun on your time off as well, maybe you're just stressed with all this work and lack of sleep!
Terri, getting off plan can be good at times. That's why I try not to sweat my cheat day too much, it's when it turn into dayS that I start to worry.

Originally Posted by canary52

I am really very sick with fibro today, could barely get out of bed and yet had to, had things I had to do. Here is what this flare is like: numbness and tingling in my hand and feet, electric shocks all over my body, numbness on the right side of my body, troubling using my right hand, IBS and some other personal stuff, fatigue (not the worst that's been tho.) I think the electric shocks and trouble walking due to the facct that I cannot completely feel my feet are the worst things. I feel like someone has tied my feet together and like they are trying to electrocute me at the same time.
sorry to hear about the fibro. That sounds crappy, I guess fibro is common around these parts??
Old 07-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Well I booked my trip to Va Beach today for my upcoming 1/2 marathon. I'll finish it even if I have to use a hovaround! j/k I have no idea what condition I'll be in come Sept. but I'm doing it no matter what. How needs training? It's just 13.1 miles . If my back is still shot and I can't walk I'll find a way to get across the finish line!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

***I forgot to add to the granola bar recipe instructions, when you press it into the pan, it works best if you lay a piece of wax paper over it to even it out and push it to the sides of the pan. It sticks to the spoon and to hands.***

Check in:

1. Keep calories below 1300. 959, 1236, 1252
2. Exercise 6 times. Weights, Cardio Tennis, Tennis
3. Log everything. Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Post daily. Yes, Yes, Yes
5. Drink 64 oz. water. Yes, Yes, Yes
6. Try 2 new healthy recipes. Yes-Chicken Cutlets Pomodoro

7. Send invoices out. Done
8. Deal with the dreaded insurance situation.
9. Continue working on pics for scrapbooking.
10. Get oral surgery scheduled. All they will schedule now is a f/u visit - Done

I've had so many 5-Calorie Miscellaneous entries today it really threw me off! I think I'm trying to get sick, so I've been on the Vitamin C and cough drops. Otherwise, not too bad; all my food today was very clean.

Wow, I wish my kid would get off this Man Vs. Food kick. Some of that stuff looks way too good .

I think unintentional calories like Quinn's root beer should be automatically negated. But then again, I also think that if FitDay is down and I can't log on, anything I eat during that time period shouldn't count either.

Trying to decide whether or not to get on the scale tomorrow morning. As my husband would say, I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 07-09-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
FitDay Member

Canary thanks for the information and I'm glad that you are finding ways to feel better.

Mike the upper limit for me is 2000 but I haven't even reached that yet. At my current weight I would lose weight even if I ate more than that. But I've been eating around 1400 a day most days.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 PM
FitDay Member

I had a good day and felt all warm and fuzzy thanks to my fellow forum members. Thank you all!!!! Reading your posts touches my heart. I laugh, I cry, I smile and I feel so amazingly lucky to be exposed to all of you top notch ladies and Mike!

My goals for this week:

1. Eat between 1100-1400 calories per day. YES 1131/ YES 1232/YES 1297/YES 1365
2. Drink 10-12 glasses of water per day. DONE!/ DONE!/ DONE/DONE
3. Exercise 4 hours this week. 40 min./45 min. (total so far: 1 hour 25 min.)
4. Take my multivitamin. YES/ YES/YES/YES
5. Eat 30% protein or more. YES 44%/ YES 30%/YES 41%/YES 38%
6. Stay away from that sugar! YES!/ RESISTED!/YES!/YES AGAIN!

Other goals:

1. Put up the solar blind in the kitchen!
2. Apply sealer to the coffee table. DID IT!
3. Get copy of key made.
4. Water the flowers. YES/YES/YES
5. Mail package.[/QUOTE]

Mern, you are so sweet! I'm glad you liked the card and thanks so much for the pep talk. I just loved how you called me "kiddo" made me feel so young! I'm so glad to hear that you had a nice birthday and if you can't enjoy a piece of cake on your special day, when can you! Sending you a great big hug in return!

Mike, thanks for the encouragement and yes go ahead and fill in the blank any way you want. I am sending you mad props for signing up to run a half marathon! You rock! One day I want to be able to run a half marathon too!

Terri, I LOVE the NO button! Thanks Love. I got such a good laugh over it. And hearing your plateau story just perks me right up. I feel positive again!

Hope, you just warmed my heart. I hope you're feeling much better. As for my Artist's Way story, in a nutshell, I was 29, soon-to-be 30 and had sunk into a pretty deep funk. I had moved to another city, so didn't know many people. I was really lonely so thank goodness for my Chico who has been with me through the toughest of times. (He really is my best friend.) One day, I got a letter from a friend of mine who had the reputation of being a real party boy, always drinking and not very serious about life. It was a touching letter in which he thanked me for always telling him he was the funniest boy in the world. He said although he never acknowledged it, it really meant a lot to him. I was floored. Then at the end he told me to go out and get the Artist's Way immediately. I literally did right then and there! I figured anything that made him sound so deep and insightful had to be good.

I was working in a call centre - at night - and feeling like a failure. The last job I had had was as an assistant to a horribly mean editor who shattered my self esteem. In retrospect, she was a total bully and I should have formally complained about her but I didn't have the self worth at the time. Once I got started with the Artist's Way, I uncovered so much buried pain it was crazy! The morning pages literally reaped revelations on a consistent basis and the artist's dates made me fall in love with myself. I realized that I was really fun and quirky and creative and not a worthless sh*t afterall!

As I finished week 12, I applied for jobs and landed a full time job as an in-house editor for our equivalent of MTV. It was that easy. What had seemed so out of my reach for so long just started falling into my lap. Not because the Aritst's Way is magical but because of the energy I was exuding. The rest is history.... one job led to another and today I edit feature documentaries and despite being surrounded by some lunatics and some outrageous circumstances I still love my job with all my heart. It really brings me joy to find and develop the story in a documentary film or to make an audience cry or laugh.

So that's my story. How did you stumble upon it and how did it impact you, Hope?

Last edited by mtlgirl; 07-07-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

OK, I’m in need of some advice from the veterans please.

I have been invited out to a restaurant and then to a bar afterward with some friends. I want to go but I’m still pretty inexperienced with calories and all. Can anyone tell me what low calories drinks I can get at the bar? And any recommendations on what I can order at a burger joint / steakhouse that would be reasonable would be great too.

I’m trying my best to save 1,000 calories for this outing tonight. I really don’t want to blow my good trends this week but I haven’t seen these friends in a while. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Hope: I'm sending you soothing, pain-free vibes and I hope that your fibro is better today. You're always so up-front and informational about it - things are less scary when you approach them with understanding. And hey, I avoided my stern talking to!!! I'm so glad you love the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO button. It's my favorite!! Laughter is the cure.

Rose: Hey, your jeans are looser!! WOOHOO!! That's even more motivational than the scale to me, way to rock it! You just keep that "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" button around, it always helps me! You are such a sweetie to watch those kids AND that movie (you've more patience than me!).

quinn:
Root beer?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Instant No Button! Star Wars funnies FTW! I hate that!! Hi-5 on July birthdays though! They're the best

Mern: Pfffft! You know there was a time in my life I would have totally believed that carrot cake was made of mostly-veggies and that cream cheese topping was OF COURSE good for me! It was so sweet of DH to try, though. I saw the Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts movie and I thought it was cute, but lazy. It was just sort of a romantic comedy without... tension. It was weird. Tom and Julia are always charming, though. I need to remember your mantra about being sure that something NEEDS worry before I start worrying... I'm a natural worrier though, so I think it'll always be a work in progress!!

Mike: I never sweat a single cheat day either; you gotta live, right? I'm just mad I've been so far off exercise lately! Grr! I need to get off my lazy butt!!

Thursday Report Card

Fitness and Exercise Goals:

1) Average of 1300 calories (no more than 1450 on any given day) T: 1,179 W: 1,349 Th: 932 (Week Average 1,153)
2) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit through a combination of eating and exercise. T: -726 W: -556 Th: -1,231 (Week Total: -2513)
3) 96 oz. of water daily T: No W: yes Th: yes
4) 30 Day Shred 5x per week T: No W: No Th: Yes!
5) 2 or more "extra exercise" cardio days T: No W: No Th: No
6) Limit eating out to 2 lunches and 1 dinner or less T: No eating out W: No eating out Th: Dinner out (Total: 0 Lunches, 1 Dinner)
7) Weight and record on Friday ONLY (it's TOTM, but I have a doc's appt. Friday and I want to see how their scale measures against mine) T: Did not weigh W: Did not weigh Th: Did not weigh
8) Fiber pills and multivitamin every day T: No W: yes Th: yes
9) Roughly 40/30/30 C/P/F ratio for the week (mostly focusing on the 30% protein) T: 48/29/23 W: 53/23/24 Th: 53/24/24 (Week Average: 51/25/24)

Other Goals:
1) 5 hours of sewing done this week T: 0 W: 1.5 hours Th: 0 (Week Total: 1.5 hours)
2) Clean (or at least tidy) one room every day T: yes, kitchen W: yes, bedroom (laundry) Th: No
3) Reserve car for birthday weekend trip! T: Done! W-Sun: N/A
4) Mail out thank-you note T: No W: No Th: No
5) Make an effort on my appearance every day T: Meh... W: Better Th: Yeah

I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day yesterday. It started off pretty well but by about 4:00 in the afternoon my work was blowing up in my face and I was becoming really stressed. I won't get into the details of equipment failure, but I was feeling pretty incompetent by the time I got home. I was also just... not hungry. It's weird with stress. Sometimes it makes me lose my appetite completely, and sometimes it makes me ravenously hungry. I think if I'm mentally stressed (i.e., blowing stuff up in my head, or stressed with a situation I can't control or fix), I eat. If it's something that's physical and requires me doing something, or I *know* I can fix it, I tend to not eat. It was situation #2 yesterday, thus the low calories. I just had an apple for lunch and no snacking.

I DID at least do my 30 Day Shred yesterday, but heaven help me, I hated every second of it.

I got out of my funk with some TLC from BF who was a LIVING SAINT putting up with my kvetching when he had had a bad day himself, and he went out in the rain and got some "comfort food" for dinner (though it really wasn't terrible -- some steamed pork dumplings with steamed vegetables on the side). Bless him.

Today is a day of fixing things. Problems always look smaller in the morning, and today is the case too. I just have to do it and focus.

Oh, and weighed in this morning at 176.2, so the scale is moving back down from my little tick-up after my vacation. We'll see what the doc's scale says this afternoon.

Happy Friday! TGIF!!!

~Terri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.