Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/30/11

Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Main80, between cookies, donuts and rice cakes I feel like I'm ready to take a nap. It's funny how carbs/sugar work, a little of it give you energy, too much makes you sleepy. I promised myself a blast today. I may get it shortly then cut carbs for the rest of the day. I'm not logging anything today, I can only imagine how bad it would look.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry that I dropped off the face of the earth! I've been so scattered! I'm trying to take up surfing again and today was my first day out! I almost stood up! I was so excited! Though now I have water in my ear that I just can not seem to get rid of! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I GOT TO USE MY STICKERS!!! I exceeded my weightloss goal for the week so I got a nice shiny green animal print sticker! It motivated me just like I thought it would! I'm so excited! Every time I start fantasizing about unhealthy food I can just look at it and remember what I'm working towards! Yay!

Goals
1. Eat around 1600:
2. Drink 2L:
3. Do something that I love:
Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mhibdon
Though now I have water in my ear that I just can not seem to get rid of! Does anyone have any suggestions?
lay down with that ear facing down and let gravity take over. Good job and exceeding your goal!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mhibdon
Sorry that I dropped off the face of the earth! I've been so scattered! I'm trying to take up surfing again and today was my first day out! I almost stood up! I was so excited! Though now I have water in my ear that I just can not seem to get rid of! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I GOT TO USE MY STICKERS!!! I exceeded my weightloss goal for the week so I got a nice shiny green animal print sticker! It motivated me just like I thought it would! I'm so excited! Every time I start fantasizing about unhealthy food I can just look at it and remember what I'm working towards! Yay!
I'm lovin' the sticker suggestion, although I don't know if I'm motivated by stickers, although for the price tag it's worth a shot.

On the ear, this is going to sound nuts, but when I get water in my ear that won't come out it generally means that the water has become absorbed by ear wax or a bit of dry skin and has swollen up creating a blockage that is in turn holding water against the ear drum. So what I do is irrigate the ear with warm water, we have a bulb shaped thing made specifically for the job, but you can also use a large syringe. I know it sounds crazy, but it usually works rather well. Sometimes you have to flush the ear a few times to clear it out.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Mern, are you looking in FitDay for the veggies through the browse foods feature? When you do that, you can select "from frozen, cooked without added fat" and that may help.
Yup, Cassie, that's where I'm finding the difference on my low carb veggies such as broccoli and spinach, turnip greens, brussels sprouts, etc. The nutrition labels on all the bags say zero sat fat, but through the browse foods feature I find they do indeed have some sat fat, even when I choose cooked from frozen without fat. Your sat fat percentage is excellent. Kudos to you! I wanna be like YOU when I grow up! LOL Seriously, best wishes on your 1200 calories, but we'll certainly understand if you find you need to change that. At an average of 1456 calories per day last week I was bitching more and smiling less. I'm used to closer to 1600 calories with more fat. Hopefully, suffling the macros will get easier for me later in the week.

Almeeker, wishing you a good week!

Mike, what do you put in that vaporizer???? Enjoy your cheat day! I have the same problem--if I eat too many carbs I become very sleepy from the blood sugar spikes and plummets.

Terri, I don't speak of my scale as nicely as you "stubborn little monkey" tranlates to something in language unbecoming a lady in my house. LOL I started tracking my sat fat only a week ago and I hate all the work--spend entirely too much time on the nutrition tracker planning and tweaking my meal plans. Don't know if it's worth it to be so anal about it--it's truly affecting my quality of life and mood. I'll let you all know what the doc has to say about it.

Main80, thanks for your encouragement, as always. Last week I had two days when I worked out only 15 minutes, but 4 days when I gave it the full 30 minutes pledged, so I'm counting that as breaking even on the 5 days with 30 minutes per day exercise. Best wishes to you on the exercise this week. Enjoy that cheat day if you take it. I think we all need that on occasion--just get right back on the wagon when it's over.

Mhibdon, how fun to read that you're trying to learn how to surf. Also fun to read that your sticker rewards are helping you stay on track. I love your goals this week. I'm rooting for you!

Last edited by Mern; 05-30-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, I'm thinking, then, that the packaging may be using the "if it's less than .5, they can call it 0" rule, so you are probably more accurate doing it this way. On a related note, did you hear that the gov't is scrapping the food pyramid and releasing something new on Thursday? Should be interesting!

On the other hand, there have been numerous comments in the help threads about the nutrition info FitDay provides as being very inaccurate. I had always been under the impression that there was no sat fat in fruits and veggies, but I realize I really don't know. You might try looking at *gasp* another calorie count website to see if any sat fat is listed for your veggies there.

On a third hand, I'm also of the school that if you eat something that has grown fresh in the ground, on a tree, or in a bush, it really can't be all that bad for you.

Off to find a recipe for granola bars...the ones I usually make are too good and I can't keep out of them. That would not be good this week!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Goals for the week:

Health & Fitness:

1. Keep calories for the week at 10,500 (Monday is a cheat day).
2. Exercise 6 hours.
3. Attempting at least 3 new workouts.
4. Use elliptical at least 100 min.
5. Drink 96+ oz of water.
6. Average pie at 45/35/20.

Other stuff:

7. Get DDs registered for fair by June 1st , it's JUNE people!!!
8. Get DDs to finish at least 1 4-H project.
9. Take kids out for some sort of activity 2X.
10. Get garden started.
11. Weed flower beds at least 2 hours.
12. Housekeeping
Monday, holiday
Tuesday, Upstairs bathroom, hallway, stairwell, living room, laundry.
Wednesday, Kitchen, downstairs bathroom, DD's bedroom, laundry.
Thursday, DD's bedroom, dining room, laundry.
Friday, Master bedroom, Den, laundry
Saturday, basement, front porch, laundry
Sunday, 1 cupboard, 1 closet

Thanks for starting this up Mern. I retyped my goals this week instead of just copying, in order to force myself think about what I need to be doing. I'm hoping that by setting up a plan to succeed I can halt this train wreck and get the old buggy back on track. I've been really awful the past couple of weeks and my body is starting to feel the same way. Hopefully this will rev up the motivation, because when it comes right down to it, I want this and I'm worth it. I also have a ton of events coming up at the end of the summer and I want to be at goal for those in the worst way. All along I've tried not to set my goals up for a particular day, but maybe I need to do that to help keep me on track for the summer. Summer is hard for me, it's as bad as Christmas only 3 times longer. And that's not the worst of it, the Christmas season actually finishes up with a New Year's resolution, whereas Summer ends with the harvest!

Last edited by almeeker; 05-30-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, great idea to retype your goals to give each point more thought. You want this and you're worth it--there ya go! LOL on Christmas ending with a new year resolution but summer ending with harvest. Nice lookie pie chart goal. I'm rooting for ya!

Cassie, no, I didn't hear about the new food pyramid. Can't wait to see what it'll be!

The USDA nutrition info is at http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ with sat fat listed as lipids, but I'll just continue to use FitDay's Nutrition tracker for convenience. Yup, even fruit has sat fat. No escaping it. LOL I agree that the packaging is using the rule that if it's less than half a gram they count it as zero. Nice that you have a "third hand." It'll come in handy for all that painting. LOL Hope you find that recipe for granola bars that you don't like so much. Golly, that sounds odd to say. LOL

I'm a real veggie lover. No way would I cut back on veggies because of the bit of sat fat naturally in even raw veggies. Same with fruit. It just annoys me that they tell you sat fat should be no more than 10% of your total calories, but it's relative according whether you're dieting or have a set number of "lifestyle calories" and the veggie sat fat grams in a day can add up and round off to a higher percentage. I hope my doc tells me I can count my low carb veggies as zero sat fat unless I've added fat during cooking, which I rarely do.

Last edited by Mern; 05-30-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6

Mern, I'll let you in on a little secret. To change the title of the previous thread click "Support group for just woman" when all the threads pop up, hold your cursor just outside of the hyperlink, to the right, of the thread & double click. It'll highlight the title, now click inside the title and change it to read what you want, then hit enter or click outside of it.
Mike, sorry I'm such a ditz. LOL I got down to "support group for just women" when all the threads pop up, but don't know what the hyperlink looks like. Can you put it a little simpler for me?

You sure I can do that myself and that it's not just something you can do as a moderator?

Last edited by Mern; 05-30-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 PM
FitDay Member

Monday Report Card:

Health & Fitness:

1. Keep calories for the week at 10,500 (Monday is a cheat day). 2,645 (total 2,645)
2. Exercise 6 hours. 0 min (total 0 min)
3. Attempting at least 3 new workouts. NO
4. Use elliptical at least 100 min. NO
5. Drink 96+ oz of water. Y
6. Average pie at 45/35/20. 46/18/37 (Weekly average 46/18/37)

Other stuff:

7. Get DDs registered for fair by June 1st , it's JUNE people!!! NO
8. Get DDs to finish at least 1 4-H project. A little bit of progress
9. Take kids out for some sort of activity 2X. One has a friend over and DH took them to the movies.
10. Get garden started. Too wet.
11. Weed flower beds at least 2 hours. NO
12. Housekeeping
Monday, holiday
Tuesday, Upstairs bathroom, hallway, stairwell, living room, laundry.
Wednesday, Kitchen, downstairs bathroom, DD's bedroom, laundry.
Thursday, DD's bedroom, dining room, laundry.
Friday, Master bedroom, Den, laundry
Saturday, basement, front porch, laundry
Sunday, 1 cupboard, 1 closet

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life, or some such. Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.