Notices

Hi

Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi

Hi,

I am joining you ladies if you will have me?? I am wondering if anyone has had any expierence with trying to lose weight while breastfeeding? I am nursing my 4 month old son, and it seems like the weight is sooooo slow to come off. I know I could be doing a little more to help it along and I plan to start. I need to lose 100 lbs this year. I have herd that nursing is supposed to help you lose weight faster, but it is not working for me
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

With both of mine, I gained more weight post-pregnancy than I did during pregnancy. I'd just get so ravenously hungry while I was nursing! My oldest is 19 months now, and I'm finally getting the weight off, though it's going very slow. It's my own fault, the calories are sneaking up on me and I haven't been getting my butt to the gym like I should. I put on 30 with my daughter, lost 10, added 30 more with my son, have lost 20 so far, and have about 30 more to go My family has problems with hypoglycemia and I do a lot better when I eat 30-40% calories from protein. Filling up on fiber just makes me feel bloated and hungry. For me protein is the only thing that takes the edge off hungry. I'm really liking the Special K protein shakes lately.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 PM
FitDay Member

I am also currently breastfeeding my 2 month old. I just this past week started eating better and sticking with a calorie range that is reasonable. I have been exercising for about 6 weeks.

My weight is slowly coming off, but with my first it did not come off at all! In fact, I still had my extra 30 lbs. from the first when I got pregnant with the second. Weird pregnancy with her though, I only gained 5 lbs. throughout the pregnancy and have lost around 15 lbs since I had her. I have a goal to lose an additional 65 lbs, and to do it by my 30th Birthday in September, so hopefully my body will cooperate!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by christycas1
Hi,

I am joining you ladies if you will have me?? I am wondering if anyone has had any expierence with trying to lose weight while breastfeeding? I am nursing my 4 month old son, and it seems like the weight is sooooo slow to come off. I know I could be doing a little more to help it along and I plan to start. I need to lose 100 lbs this year. I have herd that nursing is supposed to help you lose weight faster, but it is not working for me
Okay, don't be discouraged I have a 4 month old baby boy and am breastfeeding as well. I had to go on bed rest and have 30 pounds to lose. I have lost 25 since the baby and am stuck at current weight. Some things I have decided to implement. A book called Eat well, lose weight while breastfeeding, this book gets great reviews, so, I'm going to try it. Also, just trying to get 10 minutes of walking in every day, even walking in place, just get moving, that's my philosophy. Small goals will yield results instead of dissapointment. Just do what you can to better your chances. I understand the frustration, but we can do it
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

I am also breastfeeding my 14 month old and I didn't lose a thing until the last couple of months. My problem was that there was no time to get to the gym and going for walks in the winter is nearly impossible with a baby (and a preschooler) where I'm from, so I was taking in more calories than I was burning. I went back to work and now have a bit more time to get to the gym and track food, but it is still really slow to come off. Even with my first, I couldn't get the weight off very easily until I was done breastfeeding.

I think the reason they say that you lose weight by breastfeeding is because it can burn up to 500 extra calories a day producing milk. So if you eat those extra 500 calories, the weight won't come off. I know I was eating at least that in cookies every day!!