Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/16/11

Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

almeeker: Happy to help you figure out the tingly limb business - it really is a very specific little symptom that I don't associate with anything else - I get it if I'm SUPER stressed out too. It's funny we're talking about hypotension - you hear a lot about hypertension but not the other way around! Allergy medicines like Sudafed do help with the issue; I have a lot of allergies and take Allegra for them, I have no idea if it helps though. I should look that up....

I am feeling much better today, thanks

Rebel 26: I know, the weight will probably come back on *le sigh* A girl can dream...Either way, I'm back on routine, or at least mini-routine this week, so if even a pound of it stays off by the time I get on the scale Friday, I'll be happy.

Cassie: WAY TO GO ON NO CAKE! And Congrats to your son! Woohoo!!

Mike: I am in FL - Tallahassee area, near the panhandle I work at FSU. Close enough to get a lot of the good gulf food!

Ok, so - I am back to work today. Yesterday's food consisted of a mushy cereal for breakfast, a sandwich and baby carrots for lunch, and a grilled chicken salad with some cut up apples and strawberries on it for dinner (with a drizzle of berry vinagarette). I was a bit concerned with using the fruit, but I had to test myself on "normal" foods. Everything stayed down and I wasn't even nauseated, so I think that's a 'go' for mostly-normal eating routines. I'm almost going to miss being at home where I can prepare food for every meal on-the-spot. When I first started out in January I was rigorous about preparing lunches every night before bed (either leftovers or making a sandwich or salad with meat) but the last month or so I've gotten really, really lazy about it.

It almost reminded me of how easy it can be if I let it be easy.

My goals are abbreviated this week, as I know I'm still not 100% okay (I still feel fairly weak and tired), but I can get back on track with food and sleeping on a normal schedule again (rather than being up half the night visiting Uncle John), and the exercise will come on the weekend, I think.

Goals

1) 3,000 calorie deficit over five days
2) At least 96 oz. of water every day
3) Exercise at least once this weekend (twice ideally)
4) Back to a normal sleeping routine - at least 7 hours of sleep each night
5) 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day
6) Don't overdo it
7) Weigh on Friday and see if anything stuck!

I'm omitting my carb/protein goals just for this week, as I'm going to be more concerned with eating cleanly AND eating food that's fairly easy on the stomach. Chicken seemed to be ok, but I don't know about seafood and pork (my other two main meats, along with turkey, but that's just like chicken...) so I have a feeling I'll probably have a semi-low protein week. I'm also lowering my water just a bit, as I've noticed that in trying to push it this last week my bowels are none-too-happy. I'll work back up to a gallon again.

~Terri
Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Terri,

Glad you're feeling a little better and hope you continue to feel stronger each day.

"It almost reminded me of how easy it can be if I let it be easy." --this is one of the best sentences ever, not just for weight loss, but for everything. I have a tendency to overthink everything; I might need to post this on my fridge, computer, steering wheel...everywhere

Hope, I'm well but extremely busy this week. I was at overload with rush jobs and they just dumped another on me at 4:30 yesterday afternoon, plus all the end of year craziness with school. I don't have time to be as chatty on FitDay and I miss it. Glad to see you back, though; I'd been wondering how you were doing! I hope you're feeling well these days .
Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I would be interested in hearing if it works for you too. I will warn you that after I've been grain-free for about 3 days straight, I would get on all fours to lick moldy bread crumbs off a dirty floor. So it's okay for the first couple of days, but after that WATCH OUT!
LOL! I'll be careful. Of course this is one of those 'moderation in all things' issues I'm sure. It's not so much rice or cereal that I would miss, but if I went any length of time without bread I'd start freaking out for sure.

When I was in Thailand I ate rice at every meal (and managed to lose a ton of weight FWIW) but there were days when I was just like - I NEED A BAGEL!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Cassie: I overthink everything too, and I beat myself up a lot. It's a constant work in progress to forgive myself. I read some really interesting stuff about self-compassion vs. self-esteem the other day, and how they are very different -- and that self-compassion is way more important (i.e. recognizing that you're human, that you have certain needs, and that's ok...not to be ashamed of yourself but to realize instead that others are going through what you are and it's ok to need that recognition, etc.)

I think I haven't been practicing much self-compassion in my life recently. I should incorporate that into a goal!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Update for Tuesday:

1. Enter foods every day - including the weekend. Yes, Yes
2. Keep calories under 2,000 good lord no, No
3. Physical therapy for my wrist 3x/DAY sort of, again sort of
4. Prepare & bring lunches from home. YES!, yes.

Yesterday was a bit better in that I wasn't all starving and binging all day. But I did grab a soda which was somewhat unnecessary and ended up putting me over my calorie limit.

Still tricky trying to do my physical therapy at work. I'm doing it... just not really counting the reps to make sure I get them all in. I did actually eat nutritious food yesterday though, and that's always a goal for me, chicken, broccoli, an apple for a snack, some yogurt for calcium. Which is much better than when I go to the cafeteria and get a cheeseburger with fries.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

Good afternoon everyone! So far so... almost good :P Had a Starbucks attack, but fortunately I still had enough calories left so that it was not too too bad of a fall.

Considering following P90X. I had a friend who was doing it, but her MS flared up again, so she gave it to me. Any warnings? I can't possibly imagine eating 3000 calories a day! Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Oh oh! I applied to a gym for a summer position! I hope that I get it! This is honestly probably the highlight of my week since my online classes start today and already look intense. Getting paid to be in a gym? WINNING!

I'm trying really hard to keep fruit on hand, but those poor bananas are turning black in this summer heat faster than I'm able to break a sweat! It is unreal!

I hope that everyone has a fabulous Wednesday!

Last edited by mhibdon; 05-18-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Winning!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mhibdon
Considering following P90X. I had a friend who was doing it, but her MS flared up again, so she gave it to me. Any warnings? I can't possibly imagine eating 3000 calories a day! Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Why would you think you have to eat 3000 cals/day? I never did when doing P90X. Any warnings??? Yes. I have a few:

1) P90X is a lot of repetitive movements, before long you'll start to feel joint pain. I'd recommend getting something for joint health, like glucosamine.

2) It is hard, take breaks if/when you need them. Just pause it and pick back up after a short break.

3) If you don't have a heart rate monitor, now may be a good time to get one.

4) Don't get discouraged, it's very hard and there will be some things that you can't do, just do your best.

5) Be prepared to commit at least an hour a day for at least 6 days a week. assuming you don't have to pause... but it's worth it.

6) Take pictures and measurements, if you don't do it now, you'll be kicking yourself 90 days from now.

7) Be disciplined. My 1st two times doing it, I stayed with it, now I find it hard pushing myself to do it.

8) You may have a hard time walking/moving around after the first few days, the pain will subside some after day 4 (Yoga). The 1st week is total hell, but it does get easier if you just stick it out.

I'll probably think of more.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 05-18-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Why would you think you have to eat 3000 cals/day? I never did when doing P90X... 3) If you don't have a heart rate monitor, now may be a good time to get one...
I was reading through the meal guide that came with her DVD's and they recommended 3000 calories for the final stage. I'm fairly certain that the meals are meant for big burly active men with crazy metabolisms, but it still caught me off guard that anyone could eat that much, let alone be told to! I've been on and off diets since I was 5 so anything above 1500 calories makes me anxious, haha.

Thanks for the pointers! I'm going to keep them on my desktop!

Is there any kind of heart rate monitor that you would recommend? I have a watch that can take a heart rate, but that is it.

Last edited by mhibdon; 05-18-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: I keep forgetting to add stuff D:
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

your watch should do, or you could even check your pulse every now and then for 15 seconds then multiply by 4. There is a formula in the book to help figure out the calories.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
your watch should do, or you could even check your pulse every now and then for 15 seconds then multiply by 4. There is a formula in the book to help figure out the calories.
Oh awesome! Thanks! I'm going to take a few days to rehydrate and read all of the literature that came with the DVDs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.