FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Looking for motivation! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/423-looking-motivation.html)

jagrib0112 02-15-2010 06:39 AM

Looking for motivation!

Hello Ladies! I'm new to this whole thing. I've been overweight for longer than I can really remember. I think my biggest issue is that I lack motivation. I want the end result, but after a week or two of putting in the work, I lose the desire to do the work. I'm hoping this time will be different.

For now, my goal is to lose 100lbs over the next year. I think this is doable, but it's going to be a major challenge. I just started tracking my food and have intentions of hitting the gym after work today.

I'm 28 and my husband and I have been talking about starting a family more and more lately. I know that it'll be nearly impossible to conceive/carry a child in my current state. So, I suppose today starts this new journey for me.

I'm hoping to find some female friends that can help me stay motivated. If you'd like to help keep me on track (and would like me to help you stay on track, too! :o), please drop me a message!!!

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!
~Jen

Sunni4lyf 02-15-2010 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jagrib0112 (Post 3474)
Hello Ladies! I'm new to this whole thing. I've been overweight for longer than I can really remember. I think my biggest issue is that I lack motivation. I want the end result, but after a week or two of putting in the work, I lose the desire to do the work. I'm hoping this time will be different.

For now, my goal is to lose 100lbs over the next year. I think this is doable, but it's going to be a major challenge. I just started tracking my food and have intentions of hitting the gym after work today.

I'm 28 and my husband and I have been talking about starting a family more and more lately. I know that it'll be nearly impossible to conceive/carry a child in my current state. So, I suppose today starts this new journey for me.

I'm hoping to find some female friends that can help me stay motivated. If you'd like to help keep me on track (and would like me to help you stay on track, too! :o), please drop me a message!!!

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!
~Jen

im 25 and have been fat / over weight since i was a kid like 4 yrs old! my russian refugee grandama showed her love with food and cake and delicassies...... i have the same prob of motivation and energy. being fat for so long and out of shape since i had my 2 kids it really drags when its time to excersize..... that and i dont have many friends and the ones i do have dont have time for me...... so im really by myself on this one... me and 2 friends joined a gym a couple years ago but they quit and i ended up doing the same especially since i didnt have transportation............. i just got an ab lounger so i can bust my GUT! i like to watch star trek ( my fav show) or other things i enjoy while i work out.... i put the volume up loud so i can hear it over the excersize noises and i spend a hour ( including 1 minute rests , so it adds up to like 45 min of excrsz) on my ab lounge. i love my ab loung i bought it off a skinny neighbor hahahaaa! u can check craigslist. com for stuff on sale/ reduced price.... its like an online yard sale...... well good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!.... i have facebook ekatherina babovnikov and myspace sunni4lyf

RunbikeSki 02-15-2010 09:00 AM

Hi Jen
Are you in a location where you can get to an organized weight loss group? So many people have found that having support in-person can really help. Weight watchers, TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) and other national, local or church groups really work. Internet groups can really help too, but there is nothing quite like sharing your struggles and triumphs with others face to face. Plus many of the groups have professional advisors to help you develop a plan and provide tips for sticking to it.
I have found that I need some sort of outside accountability to help me stick to the plan.
Once you have a plan, FitDay is a super tool to help you manage on a day to day basis.
The first step is making the decision - keep going!

Sonjavheerden 02-16-2010 05:58 PM

My two cents

Motivation mmmm, wish you could get that in a bottle. I do really silly things to motivate myself, as there is no support groups in my area and I don’t have anyone to work out with. I watch BBC Life style channel while working out (not the cooking shows!) but e.g. Super size vs. super skinny.

If that’s not on I tend to stick photos of me in my bikini on the fridge ( now that’s a right put off), I keep a pair of shorts (that don’t fit) on a bookshelf where I can see it everyday. I count the items in my cupboard that do fit, its quicker than counting the items that don’t.

I try to mend all my fav pants that have worn between the legs from all the shaving. I stick a picture of my fav celebrity in a bikini in my cupboard. Hope this helps

greenasphalt 02-18-2010 04:56 AM

My 80+ lb. weight loss

Aloha, Good luck with your journey. You are the only one who can do it for you, it is completely up to you. It is one of those things that can be done only when you decide it is the right time.
I am still considered obese, and have been obese all of my life. At only 32, I weighed over 330 lbs. I lost about 80 lbs. this past year. I have about 70 lbs. to go until my BMI is considered healthy.
I can only say it is the most challenging, difficult and arduous thing I have ever done and I have loved it. I have never received such self-esteem, I have never felt pride in accomplishing a physical activity, but now I can walk up to 13 miles and 6 days a week I walk 6-8 miles a day.
I did not START walking this much. I could barely walk .5 mile when I started because of body pain, arthritis, a foot injury and a whole bunch of weight. You have to start slow and not get discouraged. You cannot compare yourself to anyone else.
1) exercise: start very slowly and stop before you wear yourself out. Read books that inspire you, like Dean Karnazes, "Ultramarathon Man". Forget the music and feel what your body and breath is doing, listen to it's pain, feel the extra weight and imagine how free you will be when you lose it.
2) food: if you are a binge eater, go to counseling or a support group and find out the connection between food, energy, mood, comfort and pain. Follow the suggestions of people who have healthy lifestyles, eat as little processed food as possible. Stop eating out, stop eating fast food, stop eating sugar, only eat what you yourself make. Start educating yourself on nutrition, track your daily intake and you will be surprised of how little adds up to our daily requirements. If you eat a lot of fresh foods, whole grains, beans, etc. you will get energy from your food instead of empty calories that just keep you feeling hungry.
3) realize that it is not simple, but the calculation is simple: if you exercise more and eat better, you WILL lose weight
I am inspired by watching marathons on youtube. I am inspired by people like Team Hoyt (a father and son team, the son is disabled and the father pushes and pulls him in triathalons and marathons, etc.). Dean Karnazes, other ultramarathoners. I love watching documentaries about marathons and runners.
I will not be able to run, because of bad arthritis, but if I have a dream of fitness and strength and these people are doing INCREDIBLE things, it just shows me that my goals of walking a lot are within reach. Realize your own limitations and then follow what makes you happy. Find an activity that moves that you enjoy. Just one, to start, and the rest will follow.
P.S. Throw away your TV. Watch inspirational internet stuff and netflix. Not having TV is a huge advantage. Try to calculate how many hours you are sitting watching TV a day instead of taking care of yourself. Not to mention the negativity and judgment and stereotypes it presents. Try to remember that the media is controlled by a very small group of people and their ideas of beauty and worth are not everyone's.

keihoop 07-27-2010 06:13 AM

Watch this. That'll do it.

YouTube - Versus TV commercial

keihoop 07-27-2010 06:15 AM

no really, watch it and go do things. I'm in Long Beach, Ca. you close? bring your Husband, join our group, we'll kick ass!

YouTube - Versus TV commercial

teartheskyout 07-27-2010 06:47 AM

I just wanted to say good luck! I understand the problems of being overweight. Its tough, and having the strength to keep going is even tougher! It can get hard but stay on track until you reach a point where you notice something amazing. When the scale drops to a number you're in awe over, the pants that were tight fitting fit, or even loose, the day you look in the mirror and Notice a little less here or there, when someone asks "have you lost weight?" or even being able to go a little further in your workout. Those little moments make you realize how much the work is worth it. :D
And keep checking back here. I just started these boards but everyone already seems so nice.