Notices

Foot in a cast, no excercise, no work

Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Foot in a cast, no excercise, no work

So for the next month I will be pretty sedentary, its going to be hard to keep the weight off with no excercise or work. I don't really excercise much other than walking, but I have an extremely physical job. The reason I am in a cast is because I had bunion surgery on my foot, this all so I can start running again, and partly from vanity, will be nice to wear regular width shoes. I had the other foot done last year and it looks amazing. On a possitive note I can't carry any food from the fridge or cupboard and manouver the crutches so maybe not excercising won't be a problem because I can't graze. If anyone is considering this surgery please feel free to ask me anything, I am an old pro now and have had the best and worse possible surgical situations so consider myself quite the expert. My 9 year old neice is going to be needing Bunion surgery very soon, which is very unusual for a child her age, I will only give her the good news and keep the horror story to myself. Sorry if I am rambling, I am on some great pain killers and I am bored out of my mind.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry to hear that you're laid up with a bum foot. I had knee surgery years ago and I was the same way, bored out of my mind and all smacked up on drugs. Are you getting any PT? When I've had PT in the past, I usually was able to get the therapist to give me pointers about a full body workout. And if you have some hand weights you could work on upper body, you might as well since you're going to be giving those arms/shoulders a workout anyway. I knew a guy in college that was missing a leg, he had a great upper body because every step he took was on crutches. Then he got a prosthetic leg he had to start lifting weights to maintain all those beautiful muscles.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:02 AM
FitDay Member

No PT but the hand weight idea is a good one, though I might want to wait until I am off the pain killers and not likely to drop the weights on either my foot or head. I am a total klutz with the crutches, last year when I had the other foot done I actually fell getting to the bathroom, this time its my right foot I can't put down, which is my dominant foot so I am a total mess. I guess I should be glad I have dropped some of my weight before the surgery, I couldn't imagine dragging the 180 lbs around.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Glad that the surgery is over for you, armchair exercises are good, you can do isometrics in the chair without weights. Of course hobbling around on crutches gives you a workout too. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get started, have a couple of guilt free lazy days. Popping over to your other post now. Lizzie
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 PM
FitDay Member

Wow remind me to stay away from the computer when I am on pain killers. Things are tapering off, I am able to get up and around already, this is days quicker than last years surgery, even went shopping yesterday. Unfortunatly the cast is on my right foot so I am not able to drive and must rely on other people to get me everywhere. I picked up these band things that I can use to work out with while I am laid up, have to read the instructions still and see what I am able to do. I need to keep up my upper body strength for when I am able to return to work, and my left leg is getting a heck of a workout as its supporting 90% of my weight at the moment.