FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Foot in a cast, no excercise, no work (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/4141-foot-cast-no-excercise-no-work.html)

kajajo 04-27-2011 01:22 AM

Foot in a cast, no excercise, no work

So for the next month I will be pretty sedentary, its going to be hard to keep the weight off with no excercise or work. I don't really excercise much other than walking, but I have an extremely physical job. The reason I am in a cast is because I had bunion surgery on my foot, this all so I can start running again, and partly from vanity, will be nice to wear regular width shoes. I had the other foot done last year and it looks amazing. On a possitive note I can't carry any food from the fridge or cupboard and manouver the crutches so maybe not excercising won't be a problem because I can't graze. If anyone is considering this surgery please feel free to ask me anything, I am an old pro now and have had the best and worse possible surgical situations so consider myself quite the expert. My 9 year old neice is going to be needing Bunion surgery very soon, which is very unusual for a child her age, I will only give her the good news and keep the horror story to myself. Sorry if I am rambling, I am on some great pain killers and I am bored out of my mind.:D

almeeker 04-27-2011 01:30 AM

Sorry to hear that you're laid up with a bum foot. I had knee surgery years ago and I was the same way, bored out of my mind and all smacked up on drugs. Are you getting any PT? When I've had PT in the past, I usually was able to get the therapist to give me pointers about a full body workout. And if you have some hand weights you could work on upper body, you might as well since you're going to be giving those arms/shoulders a workout anyway. I knew a guy in college that was missing a leg, he had a great upper body because every step he took was on crutches. Then he got a prosthetic leg he had to start lifting weights to maintain all those beautiful muscles.

kajajo 04-27-2011 02:02 AM

No PT but the hand weight idea is a good one, though I might want to wait until I am off the pain killers and not likely to drop the weights on either my foot or head. I am a total klutz with the crutches, last year when I had the other foot done I actually fell getting to the bathroom, this time its my right foot I can't put down, which is my dominant foot so I am a total mess. I guess I should be glad I have dropped some of my weight before the surgery, I couldn't imagine dragging the 180 lbs around.

Lizards13 04-27-2011 06:57 AM

Glad that the surgery is over for you, armchair exercises are good, you can do isometrics in the chair without weights. Of course hobbling around on crutches gives you a workout too. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get started, have a couple of guilt free lazy days. Popping over to your other post now. Lizzie

kajajo 04-28-2011 11:12 PM

Wow remind me to stay away from the computer when I am on pain killers. Things are tapering off, I am able to get up and around already, this is days quicker than last years surgery, even went shopping yesterday. Unfortunatly the cast is on my right foot so I am not able to drive and must rely on other people to get me everywhere. I picked up these band things that I can use to work out with while I am laid up, have to read the instructions still and see what I am able to do. I need to keep up my upper body strength for when I am able to return to work, and my left leg is getting a heck of a workout as its supporting 90% of my weight at the moment.