Notices

100 lb club

Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default new to fitday...sort of

Hi all:

I joined fitday in 2007 at 267 and I'm here to try again. Today is the second day of my commitment to diet and exercise so I can get healthy. I weighed in yesterday at 271 (and I'm only 5'2"!) even though I was as low as 219 in 2008.

So why do I say I'm new? I've never used the forums before and I'm hoping that checking in here will help me (and maybe others) in reaching my goals. I've been reading the posts and I think this is a GREAT thread and hope I'll find some support and suggestions. I am going low-carb since that seems to help me lose weight, but I'm also trying to exercise daily.

Already I did a dance video from Netflix yesterday and was down 3 lbs (water I'm sure) when I weighed in this morning. Today I hope to go swimming (I'm in Miami) and already I need suggestions with my first hurdle:

I'm going to a dinner party tomorrow and I know the menu...breaded/fried steak, fried plantains, bread & butter, rice & beans. I'm thinking I'll offer to bring a salad and I'll scrape some of the breading off and hopefully no one will be too suspicious. I hate to say I'm on a diet when I've failed so many times before, and I certainly don't want all the well intentioned (and often useless) advice I know comes with it.

Any suggestions are welcome and just general salutations in support would be wonderful.

Thanks all!
Belle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BelkysCompressed.jpg (75.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by speedyfair
Good Morning

Great going almeeker. It was a great idea to substitute an activity for the brunch, maybe treat yourself and make a healthy omelet at home to satisfy that craving. I use two egg whites to one egg yolk and tons of veggies with a little cheese- yum!

Everyone have a great day!
Yes, that sounds about how I make them at home too!!! At the diner they will make an egg white omelet no problem, but they must swab the griddle down with butter before they drop the eggs on, because I'm almost always up on Monday morning after eating their Sunday brunch. So what are you doing for breakfast tomorrow? Wanna come over for omelets? I got some tasty whole grain English muffins to go with, only 100 calories each... Argh, now I'm hungry.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 PM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone. Sorry I missed yesterday.I was busy getting thiings together for an energy assistance meeting for my sister. She and I share a house and expenses. She has been out of work since before Christmas. So there is a lot of stress around here as well as work.
I found some very pretty day lilies at wal-mart yesterday and got them planted today. Some more pots in the dinningroom. It always makes me feel better to get my fingers in the dirt and I can't eat with dirty fingers.
I have been doing better these last few days. Like today I would love to have another slice of banana nut bread my sister made today. I have added up all my calories and so no more nut bread. This is what I need tohave, I need to be accountable somewhere.
Almeeker fantastic about the pants.I am looking forward to getting into the clothing in my closet again and slowly puting it in the donate box.
Speedyfair I can understand about wieght holding you back. You just don't have the energy and your back hurts,along with everything else. Get out there girl and get those flowers in shape.
Bellekiss welcome back to fit day. I have decided that I am not calling this a diet. Diets only work for a short time. We need to change our life style inorder to get the weight off and keep it off. So if anyone comments about your food choices tell my you are going through a life style change.
Hope everyone had a great monday and tuesday. Rest well and get out there and make wednesday count.Nyda
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
FitDay Member

ugghhhh Im still having trouble posting....makes me mad since I paid to be a premium member.
keeping it short..im going to head to see if someone can help me from this site...can read everyones posts and looks like your all doing great.
Im here ....and still plugging away!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Belle-nice to meet you!

Originally Posted by bellekiss
... already I need suggestions with my first hurdle:

I'm going to a dinner party tomorrow and I know the menu...breaded/fried steak, fried plantains, bread & butter, rice & beans. I'm thinking I'll offer to bring a salad and I'll scrape some of the breading off and hopefully no one will be too suspicious.
Belle - I am going at this a second time myself...not with this site specifically, but getting focused again after losing 80 lbs 5 years ago, but gaining it all back when my job & social support changed in a big way. We are both starting out the right way, so let's keep it up this time.

I have some suggestions for you. Figure out your calorie & nutrient goal for the WEEK, and modify your other days to fit this anticipated dinner into your regular allowance. You can still be mindful of your goals, and still feel enough flexibility to enjoy your occasion. You may want to increase your activity a bit every day during the week as well, to offset the one anticipated higher calorie day.

Find the middle ground...the win/win...in the situation. I find it freeing to think of the full week rather than one day at a time, and take actions before the day of the event. That way no individual day makes you a failure, as long as you are taking steps in ADVANCE. If you wait until after the event, it feels like punishment instead of planning.

As far as the menu, good for you in finding out what is being served before hand!!! You are already taking great steps to be well.

Avoid the bread & butter, and any gravy, completely-- rarely worth it & takes options away from you. If you want to avoid attracting attention with the steak, don't scrape the breading off all at once, but gently remove what you can from every small bite, just as you would trim fat off every bite. When you have consumed the amount you had planned to eat, spoil any remaining food with an excess of pepper or salt, or see that the plate is cleared from the table right away. Rice & beans, as well as plantains, are not bad foods if eaten in moderation. But if they are not something you really enjoy, you can easily pass them up.

Your idea about taking a salad is perfect. Make it special enough that you will be proud to serve it to your friends, and just as proud to eat it yourself over other temptations--not just as something safe. It is hard to over eat when you are acknowledging compliments on your beautiful and tasty salad. Try to eat 2 forks full of salad to every fork of something else.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself with the social interaction. You want to live a rich and fulfilling life, or why even show up? Isn't that what you are hoping for after you reach your goal weight?

I will be thinking about you. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by rockymtnsavvy; 03-16-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks

Thank you newself for the welcome and rockymtnsavvy thanks for taking the time to write such a well thought out response. I think your suggestions of working on weekly goals and using extra activity are both excellent. I'm not at a place yet where I think I'll be able to use them, but I will keep them in mind for later. The issue with the weekly goal in low-carb eating is that any daily excess in your carb intake will change the way your metabolism is helping to lose weight. So any day that I exceed the carb intake that works for my body, I can be sure I'll see it on the scale in the morning. As for exercise, I came from doing no exercise three days ago to doing a few minutes on Monday and yesterday. I think I have to keep stepping that up gradually to being able to plan on extra to cover a particular event (I'm a bit sore as it is and I will have a struggle with the extra time needed...I work two jobs and have many social commitments).

I do expect once I get tired of low-carb eating and go to the more balanced low-calorie plan that I'll really benefit from a weekly plan and I should be also able to adjust my activity levels to boost the weightloss for the week as needed based on my social commitments.

On a separate issue, I like to think of my change as a diet. After too much time indulging myself and reaping the consequences, I'm proud to know I'm making the tough decision to give my body what it needs to improve.

Thanks again!
Belle

PS 267 today...gotta love that first week when the lbs just melt off-wish it were always that way!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by speedyfair
I am using the Wii Fit+ and it helps that it is motivating me as well.
Hi speedyfair

I am new to this forum (if not to the weightloss struggle) and I wondered if you had any tips for using Wii Fit. I have it and found I got frustrated when I first tried it because I couldn't just get on an activity and keep at it, there were many interruptions that minimized the total time actually being active/exercising but made me feel like I was spending a lot of time trying to exercise.

Any suggestions?

I really appreciated any input you (or anyone) can give me regarding Wii Fit.

Thanks,
Belle
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default desertmountain...wow

desertmountain

i just read ur post re p90x and i'm so impressed and inspired. i know that is an intense program and i never thought someone like me (100+ lbs to lose, older-2 weeks shy of 40, and out of shape) could even attempt a start with it. i can probably borrow a copy and i'm excited to try it.

thanks for the inspiration!
belle
Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

I've never used the Wii Fit, but I love the Wii Fit Plus. If you like a yoga and/or a strengthening approach, then you can go to "My Wii Fit Plus routines" and make your own, or click on the dancing balance board and tell it how much time you have and it will make a routine for you. The other thing about the Wii Fit Plus is that the longer you do it, the more challenges it unlocks for you. On the "Basic Run" routine mine is open all the way to "Free Run" which gives me an hour long routine if I want it. And many of the other games will let you play for 8-15 minutes once you've unlocked "advanced".

If you already have the balance board I want to say the Wii Fit Plus program is like $40-50. It also tracks your calories burned, weight, BMI, waist measurement and your steps if you use a pedometer. I jump on ours EVERY morning. In fact I haven't missed a single day since Christmas. LOVE IT. It plays a little doot-doot tune when it weighs me because I'm obese, but someday somehow I'm going to get the overweight tune instead, followed sometime after that by the healthy weight doot-doot. Can't wait for that little song...

At this point in time I'm losing pretty regularly, so I'm going to stick with what I have going on. But I've decided that if (or rather "when") I hit a hard plateau I'm going to order P90X and give it a whack. It's always a good idea to have a plan B.

Last edited by almeeker; 03-17-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

Good Morning...

I'm new this thread. I've been using fitday now for about 3 weeks and have been really good about tracking my foods. Some days it's amazing how fast the calories rack up. I'm in the 100+ group. I started at 302 on Feb. 25 and was down to 292 on March 9th. I haven't weighed myself again...I'm going to try and only do it every 2 weeks.

I also have the Wii fit and notice the same problem of stopping and waiting for activities to start. I love the marching game...where you feel like a band director!! I just keep repeating that one. I love that I have an option to work out when the outside weather does not cooperate. Living in Iowa you never know what it will be one day from the next.

Well I'm glad to be here and I hope make some great weight loss buddies!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.