FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Where do you find support? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/408-where-do-you-find-support.html)

flkim68 02-13-2010 03:10 AM

Where do you find support?

Hi there. I'm new here. My name is Kim and I am trying to lost 30lbs and I'm just wondering where do ya'll find the most support in real life? Is it from friends, family and co workers? Or fellow dieters?

I ask because when you mention to non dieters that you are on a diet they tend to say things like, "Oh, you don't need to diet!!" " You dont' need to lose 30lbs, you don't have 30lbs to lose!!"

I know they mean well but it can be a real downer...I mean I know I need to lose this weight and I'd rather hear postive, supportive things because those statements to me are not positive.

So, where do you find your support? And do you keep your diet to yourself?

staceyalberta 02-13-2010 03:15 AM

I often find it from other dieters. When I lost first big chunk of weight my co-workers knew & were supportive. My now ex-husband was just out of touch. Friends & family i kept in the dark as I don't live near them, but I did that as a SURPRISE! This time with only 11 lbs to lose my tune up so to speak. I'm not telling my boyfriend as he doesn't think I need to lose any weight. I will however tell him that I'm aiming to be more healthy as that's something he can get on board with.

Lizzycritter 02-14-2010 12:28 PM

I don't really have a support system in real life, that's why I'm here. My husband is kind of supportive, he doesn't try to get me to eat dessert with him and he's not complaining about the new lighter recipes I've been trying. But he's not a girl, so he doesn't "get it" sometimes.

Wylie7 02-16-2010 02:17 AM

My trainer and the other gym staff are my biggest support. They really make me feel great! My husband is ok, he doesn't complain about my trimming down recipes, but he needs to gain weight, so he eats a lot of stuff in front of me that I just can't eat. He also tells me he can tell that I've lost some weight, which perks up my day.

I'm trying to lose 15 lbs from pregnancy, so most people I talk to, including dieters, tell me that I don't need to lose a thing. It's really hard, because I know what I looked like before the weight and I feel horrible (emotionally and physically) with the weight on, even though I still look ok. And I feel like I've got something wrong in my head since everyone else tells me I look great.

I don't keep my diet to myself, but I don't advertise it either.

Congrats, everyone on the weight loss and the weight you WILL lose!! It is a long, hard road!

cjohnson728 02-16-2010 02:41 AM

Hi Wylie,

I hear you. I also have people tell me I don't need to lose, so it is sometimes hard to find support. But how can you argue with wanting to be healthier and make better choices? If I feel a lot better 5 pounds lighter, who is anyone to tell me not to lose them...it's not like I'm underweight to begin with!

There is a thread for 5-15 pound "losers" elsewhere in the women's only corner section so you might also find support there in addition to the other most excellent posters on the boards!

staceyalberta 02-16-2010 03:47 AM

Wylie7 ~ yes come join us in the 5 - 15 thread. lots of great ppl there.

i find now that this is just a tune up that i don't share that with ppl. i do however say that i need to get back to my more healthy choices & leave it at that. for some reason they are supportive about that. if i said i wanted to lose 10 lbs they'd say i didn't need to lose it.

flkim68 02-20-2010 01:58 AM

Sorry, it's been awhile since I've been back to this thread. Thanks to all of you for replying. I was having this very conversation with a girl friend of mine Wed night at church..and she so agreed...lol. Sometimes it's best to just keep your dieting to yourself...just let a few in the secret. I mean what really annoys me if when you politely refuse a snack or a dessert, ppl get all uppity about it. lol

I'm really excited because I just found out that my On Demand cable feature carries workouts!! I was watching one this morning before work and can't wit to go home to try. It's a 10 min core routine that looks like fun!! If you have On Demand it's under the Excerise TV tab.

monnikjuh 02-20-2010 03:55 AM

Hi kim ,

I found my support in forum's like this , and some freinds . I find it also reather difficult to get some positive reaction from freinds and family .

And most of the time it are people who i speak to if i go for a walk who ask why are you walking our swimmen ect . Who give you're tips and advise . So if you see them again they ask how it going . Our you are asking how they going

Lizzycritter 02-20-2010 08:09 AM

Flkim-I have on demand with Comcast tv-and yeah it's great! You can find whatever you feel like to fill as much or as little time you have available. If you find a routine you really like, tape it or record it on DVR, because those workouts change constantly. Mostly that's good because it keeps boredom at bay, but it's easy to lose a fun workut too.

flkim68 02-21-2010 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter (Post 3960)
Flkim-I have on demand with Comcast tv-and yeah it's great! You can find whatever you feel like to fill as much or as little time you have available. If you find a routine you really like, tape it or record it on DVR, because those workouts change constantly. Mostly that's good because it keeps boredom at bay, but it's easy to lose a fun workut too.

I was so excited to get home yesterday to try out the 10 mn ab one....wow! It was great..I'm feeling this morining. LOL I don't have DVR but the routine was easy enough to remember. I plan on doing that one everyday along with my daily walking. I work at a hosital so getting in 26K steps isn't hard...but sometimes doing those workouts after a long is. lol I just have to suck it up and do it!!!

rmdaly 02-22-2010 09:37 AM

Join an exercise group. Even if you feel like you are the biggest one there, the women (most exercise groups are mostly women) will cheer your desire to get healthy.

If you can't find a group, just start going to the same exercise class consistently and you will meet others who are in a similar boat. I've met some of my best friends that way.

Good luck.