Notices

Gaining weight.....

Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM
FitDay Member

Angry Gaining weight.....

I have been actively losing weight since January 19, 2011. I am 5'3" and started at 205. Three days ago I went from the obese mark to overweight. I was so happy. I was down to 168.4 and I got to tell myself, only 48 pounds to go. My sisters baby shower is coming up next month and no one in my family has seen me since I started losing the weight. They have seen the numbers on facebook, but they can't relate numbers to what I actually looked like. What I did to lose those 36.6 pounds was I did strength training everyday such as tricep dips and lunges. It is basically 16 different exercises and I am doing 3 sets of 25 of each one. Takes me about 45-50 minutes to do it. Then I would do 40 minutes of carxdio everyday. Then I read somewhere that I was doing more harm then good and just started doing the strength every other day. Once I started doing that, I have gained 2 pounds in 3 days. I am now back in obese again, just by those 2 pounds in was thinking about doing my strength again everyday because my body heals quickly. I never had any fatigue while doing those everyday. My food intake hasn't changed and I am very conscious of what I ingest and eat 4 times a day along with drinking 8-12 8oz. Glassess of water. I don't know what I am doing wrong, or if because I am going to have my lady friend stop by for a visit by early next week. I am even instead of just stepping indoors, I have moved my cardiovascular outdoors and do low-medium intense jogging for an hour. Please help.!!.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! Congrats on the weight loss! You've done really awesome, and I hope to follow your lead with it.

First, how much weight are you lifting? If you don't feel any resistance when you're lifting then maybe you should increase the weight of your weights, then do them every other day. I wouldn't stop doing the cardo as that's going to help you with the weight loss while the weight lifting's going to help build the muscle you need to burn extra calories too. Have you been measuring yourself along with your regular weigh in? I know when my AF is about to show I gain anywhere from 2-3 lbs within a week before visitation and drop it a few days after. It could be it. Try measuring yourself at least once a month so you can use it to help you decide if your gain is just water retention or not.

I honestlt think yo're doing fantastic and I wish I could motivate myself to do weights like that, and cardio everyday (other than my 30 minute walk) GREAT JOB! I'm sure your familys mind will be blown away when they see you ;D
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Does anyone know how to post a thread

Do you know how to post a thread?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

A 2 pound gain! Might as well just give up, then....

is what I would have said to myself in past weight loss attempts. Now, a bit older and (perhaps) wiser I know that fluid retention is common for both men and women. I've personally seen 5 to 8 pound swings within one or two days depending upon my exercise and food. Add in your "female" issues and you could have a "perfect storm" of fluid retention.

What you need to do is weigh no more than once a week and look at your average weekly loss. That's it--if you KNOW you are burning more calories than you take in, through calorie control and exercise, you WILL lose weight. So don't stress, take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

I am using my own body weight and increasing the reps when they start to get to easy. When I started I could only do 1 set of 10. I am now up to 3 sets of 25 and in 2 weeks, I will go from those to 4 sets of 20. @ Michael - I will not/can not give up. I came too far to just scrap it. I think I will start doing the weekly weigh in instead of every morning and just start pushing my cardiovascular a little harder. I am jogging now instead of just stepping so I will push my speed instead of miles and when tag gets easy, I will increase miles instead of speed then do the same thing, keep the distance and push speed again. I really think it's just AF just getting ready to visit. I do know that when I had been at 205 I knew AF was coming because my boobs would swell and hurt, but since my weight loss, I went down a cup size and they are tender but nothing compared to what they used to do. That's why I think it's AF and not just random weight gain. @Crimpet ~ you will get there, just repeat what Dory from Finding Nemo said "Just keep swimming, just keep swiming"
Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pixiedust7976
@Crimpet ~ you will get there, just repeat what Dory from Finding Nemo said "Just keep swimming, just keep swiming"
lol I love this!! I'm totally gonna! And now that you described your situation with AF it totally sounds like it's that. There's no way a person can gain 2 lbs in such a short time without some heavy binge eating, and there's no way to gain 2 lbs of muscle in that short of time, so it's GOT to be AF or water retention or both. ^_^

Your workout sounds really great, and the fact that you've improved drastically in such short time is a sign of your hard work paying off. I've also noticed improvements in the past 2 weeks with my own reps for Yoga, and it's really uplifting and motivating. On day one this week I could barely do the first set, by the end of the week I'm able to do all 3 and hold my plank for 10-15 seconds without dieng lol

GREAT JOB!!!!