Notices

Feeling discouraged

Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Feeling discouraged

So, I was doing tae bo all of January, loosing 12. But then no weight loss for about a week. I then switched it up to Jillian michaels 30 shred. When I have been doing for 7 days. Still no weight loss.
Everyone says inches not pounds. Well, I am not loosing inches either. I am eating 1400-1500 calories a day. With a balance of fats/carbs/protein and eating heathy.
I am not going to give up. Just feeling a little down. I am getting some heaver weights in the mail any day now. Maybe that will help. Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi m...

I know it is hard not to get discouraged. You may just be at a place where your body is trying to figure out what's going on before giving in and doing what it's supposed to.

Maybe now would be a good time to treat yourself in a non-food way and just be gentle with yourself till it's time for the scale and tape measure move again. I think I am in a plateau myself this past week or two but I'm telling myself that if I don't hang with it, I will never know if it works to just wait it out.

It's good that you switch your exercise up (that 30 Day Shred is a bear). What do you think about switching up your eating? Maybe your body has become accustomed to that number of calories. Check this out for an idea:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

Click on the 7-day calorie cycle link after you put in the info and see what you think about that...maybe it can help break you out of being stuck.

Good luck
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM
FitDay Member

Due to health issues, I am trying to get approved for weight loss surgery in May. Before my insurance will approve it I have to be on a 6 mo. doctor supervised diet. I have to sit down with a weight loss doctor and a nutrionist every month. I was discouraged at first when I barely lost any weight but I was eating way healthier than ever and getting more exercise. I started this in I think October and the entire time I have been on this plan I have only gained one pound back and that was over the holidays. I started at 285 as my heighest weight my last weigh in was 266 and I get weighed again in a week, not sure how that one is going to go.

Weighing yourself too often can stress you out without even realizing it. Try weighing only once a month and track your progress from there. The more I would weigh myself, the more discouraged I would get. Now I don't think about it until I am going to the doctor.

I realize 20 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, especially on a person my size but it is the first time in my life I haven't gained part or all or more of it back. I swear I was on a never ending roller coaster. Hopefully the healthier my body starts feeling the better the results will be.

Keep doing what you are doing, the results will come.

Laura
Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 AM
FitDay Member

Laura- I hope you don't mind if I ask a question or two You seem to be doing great losing weight on your own- 20lbs in 4 months is awesome! This is absolutely NONE of my business and you don't have to answer me but why are you considering weight loss surgery? It is apparent that you can do it on your own! I have known so many people that have had MAJOR complications during and after having weight loss surgery. It honestly scares me when I hear of someone else who wants to have it done.

My other question would be- Will you lose more weight or lose it any faster if you have the surgery? It just seems so invasive when you are doing so well on your own.

Deanna

Last edited by showmenow; 02-18-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default Focus on other measures of progress for now

You're making healthy changes.

You're getting regular exercise.

You're getting stronger.

That's success, baby! Focus on how good you feel and pat yourself on the back for staying the course.

Your body will respond in time. In the interim... perhaps planning some rewards for your good behaviors and activities might help.

Little things to treat yourself with: a new healthy recipes cookbook, a new outfit to workout in, running shoes... I dunno - something!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Hi m...

Check this out for an idea:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

Click on the 7-day calorie cycle link after you put in the info and see what you think about that...maybe it can help break you out of being stuck.

Good luck
This site is great, it puts information I can use into my hands. Thanks for recommending it.

I know it can be hard to continue when you are discouraged-coming to fitday has really helped me keep motivated reading and learning from all the member's comments. Also, now that I am eating more healthy, food tastes better, I have more energy, I feel more alive. Remember to get enough protein, and reduce the carbs, especially pasta and bread. Now when I look at my plate I see more beautiful color, the dark green of spinach, the red of a tomato or red pepper, the yellow gold of squash. I take time to smell the good aroma, I slow down my chewing. These things are rewards to me.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for all the incouraging words! I did take a day off from working out and that was nice.
I also learned I am not getting enough carbs. Everyone said cut carbs cut carbs. Well I did and that is one of the reasons I was stuck.
I am down 2 pounds since my original post. I will not give up, I enjoy being healthy and working out. Its just frustrating, it took me a long time and a baby to put on this weight. It will not be easy getting it off.
Thank you again for all the posts. I am a stay at home mom and well I am sure some of you ladies know how that can be.