Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/28/2011 >

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/28/2011

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/28/2011

Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

almeeker, you should have said that you can eat like a sumo wrestler b/c you'll chase it down with expired yogurt. Tell them that that's the secret to your weight loss!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, Wow! That's just insane! Who doesn't clean their fridge out in two years to check for expired foods?! That's serious stuff there! I'm glad you're okay though, but sorry you had to suffer for something like that. =( mY MİL is insane obsessed with checking for experation dates ever since my little brother in law got food poisoning a few months ago from pizza. She checks for everything and if it expires within a month (even for stuff that is totally normal for it to) she wont buy it.

My update: Since it's late Sunday and I count that as my weeks end:
I feel I did wonderful keeping my calories within range if not slightly lower than I wanted to. I just wasn't hungry by the weeks end, but I would force myself to eat healthy stuff. I did manage to stick to 90% of my exercise goal and even walked 3 miles today, and our walking route has stairs EVERYWHERE plus we live on the 4th floor with no elevator. I jumped rope longer than expected, so it made me feel good. Overall I felt great about myself this week, and I was confidant I would have lost at least 1.5lbs. I went to the mall today to use their BIA scale (checks weight through electric waves or something very accurate) and I hadn't lost NOT ONE OUNCE! It checks body fat too, and it didn't improve at all...so what happened? I havn't got a clue =(
I calculated my calories according to the varying activity levels fitday lets us choose, and either way I should hae lost at least 1 lbs. I weigh my food on a scale too..=(

What could prevent me from a loss? It left me discouraged, but also vicous angry and determined to bust my butt harder this week than ever. So I'm taking up Hatha Yoga 3 days, Jump Rope 3 days, Walking 7 days, Calisthenics 3 days. I'll post it on next weeks Thread for next weeks goals. GRRRR!!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker! So glad you lived to tell the yogurt story! I'm surprised you didn't need to be taken to the emergency room. Sometimes stuff like that just happens where we cleaned the fridge, but an old yogurt or whatever got put back in accidentally.

I am being good today after going over Friday in carbs from "illegal for me" mac & cheese and in carbs AND calories on a small slice of illegal spice cake. Yesterday was all on target.

Mike, I found a sugar free angel food cake at my grocery store, but put it back when I saw it's 17g net carbs per slice. With my net carb allowance at only 25g per day, even just half a slice would have been too many net carbs for me with strawberries and whipped cream.

Today I had PLANNED to have an after dinner dessert of strawberries on a low carb tortilla softened (like a crepe) in strawberry juice and topped with sugar free whipped cream. But then the carbs I had for breakfast used up so much of my total carb allowance for the day that I'd have zero carbs left after our early Sunday dinner. So I went back into my food tracker and gave up the dessert in favor of more filling mashed cauliflower with zero carb cheese and just two fresh strawberries sprinkled with artificial sweetener for dessert.

I'd better be rewarded for the dessert deprivation or I'm gonna be darned mad at my scale! But I have to keep reminding myself, it was also for blood sugar control, not just for weight loss. Wasn't much fun explaining this to my husband as was shoving full sugar black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream into his mouth.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

Mike,

I saw your post and I totally get it. It's a tough time to be in insurance, banking, finance, etc. My husband is in corporate banking and although we're not commission based like you, with the fall of the economy everyone's hurting. I think everyone in the country is feeling it, one way or another. I could never work in anything to do with money... it is really "cut-throat"; commission-based, especially.

Hang tight... better times are ahead. Taxes suck in general. The only thing worse than working in finance, are taxes... and you got hit with both.

The good news is... it stopped snowing!

Last edited by quinnesec; 04-03-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

...p.s. What's up with the avatars?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

Okay, it is true that maybe a yogurt could be left in the dark back corner of your fridge and you miss the exp date a few times and it gets expired. That part I get, it happens and I will confess to eating yogurt that was a week or two past it's exp date. 2 full years expired, in our house would never happen, but I can see how it might in a fridge that doesn't have kids raiding and spilling in it as often as ours does. We have to clean ours pretty much once a month.

However I should explain that it's not a matter of "forgetting" with my in-laws. My FIL has issues with wasteful behavior, and I'm sure he knew it was expired and exactly how long it had been that way. I really don't know where it comes from, he's not old enough to have been a depression era child, although I suppose his parents were. Anyway, he won't throw out anything that could possibly be the least bit useful, and he's been like this for years and years. Believe me when I say that their medicine cabinet is downright frightening. At one point they were renovating the bathroom and I bumped into the medicine cabinet and knocked a glass bottle to the floor. The top of the bottle broke off and whatever was in it spilled all over the floor. When I picked it up it had a type written label listing that it was a prescription narcotic for a relative I'd never heard of and it was dated 1943. When I asked my MIL about it she said that she used to rub it on the kids gums when they were teething.

EXCUSE ME? My husband was born in 1972, so he would have been teething in 1973 and at that time the medicine was 30 years old!!! Good grief. And here's the weird part, okay now the bottle is broken and the medicine is mostly gone, so what does the FIL do? He puts a piece of saran wrap over the top and a rubber band. We're talking a couple of tsp full of medicine that is 65 years old and probably has some glass shards in it, AND HE KEEPS IT!!! And it's still in the cabinet, I checked.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, where have you been? Have I been missing your posts?? Yeah with that low of a carb allowance you have to leave that one alone. What if you had a small piece though?

Quinn, you saw that huh? You must be pretty fast. Yeah, I love everyone here but felt like I was just putting too much out there and nobody really what's to hear a grown man cry, right? This is my 1st commission based job and it is a learning experience. Feast or famine is a reality. When it's good, boy and it's good and when it's bad... well you know, it's bad. You really have to learn to save up for that rainy day. But as you read earlier, my rainy day turned into a monsoon season. I just have to keep pushing ahead and know that I'm doing the right thing by not being a pushy salesman and that in the end it will all be worth it. I swear I turn down more business than I take b/c I look at the big picture and see that many of my prospects and clients are struggling to to make ends meet. I tell them all the time "Don't take food off the table today to try to meet a need for tomorrow." They appreciate that more than anything especially when I look at all there other things and find many ways to save them money, all the while I'm not getting paid. It does make me feel good though to be able to help so many people and touch so many lives, I just can't wait until the day comes and I'm not struggling to make ends meet.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default avatars

I think the board had an update and the result is a broken link in the avatars. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 PM
FitDay Member

Mike,

Understood. I'm glad I was around. The "motivational thread" isn't just for weight-loss, you know. We all need to vent and think out loud sometimes... and isn't this a great group to do that with?

quinn
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, holy crap! I take back what I said about how the yogurt incident could have been accidental. No excuse for that. Sounds like they don't believe that expired food and expired medicine can be poisonous.

Mike, I've been posting just once or twice a day for the past several days just due to being busy with other things. I have no self control when it comes to sweets--wouldn't be able to stop at just a small piece of that planned strawberry dessert. If it tasted good, I'd make and eat more. But I did enjoy two medium strawberries sprinkled with artificial sweetener. One day you will be rewarded for having such a good conscience and caring about your prospects' well-being. I hope that day comes soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.