Notices

Restart: 5-15lb club

Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Happy anniversary Pam!! 25 years, man you're like me: a long termer. I joke that it's like a life sentence with me and DH (28 years- yikes!) Mai size 4!! Rock and roll!!! I won't say I envy you so just pardon me while I go kick the wall a bit. I am squeeeeeeeezing into size 10s. As DD would say jealous much?

And thanks to you both for the good thoughts for me re my fibro issues. I love working out but lately, I can barely get out of bed. This too shall pass.

Juliet you are absolutely right about weight v. measurements. Exercise will make you tighter, help build muscle and make your clothing fit better (see above re size.) I know that since my knee issues kept me immobile, I have lost muscle tone in my legs bigtime. So even though my legs are skinny, they are not in shape. Let's not even discuss the rest of me. No bikinis for me!!!

And yes my FIL did pay. Are you kidding? You have to wrestle him to the ground to get the check outta his hands. And for an 83 year old he's pretty feisty!!!

I did try not to overeat when we ate out. Hit the bread basket a bit too hard but all in all not terrible. Do any of you find restricting eating out helps?

Hope you all are doing well. Thanks so much for your support. Having fibro makes me sad and frustrated sometimes so it helps to have such a supportive community. I'm trying not to give up. It's a challenge. It helps to have caring people.

Last edited by canary52; 03-28-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks Canary, yup me and hubby seem to be in it for the long haul. I hope your "life sentance" is still fun and rewarding - mine certainly is.

When I eat out, I do try to restrict my intake, but I usually accept the fact that I will eat more than "normal". I will often try to go for something I never eat at home, either because it is a challenge to cook or DH doesn't like it (curry falls into this category).

I have asked, on several occasions, that the bread basket be removed from the table, however. Or at least placed as far away from me as possible . It is so easy to start with a little nibble and end up with 2 or 3 lovely rolls + butter meadering through my digetive system.

Glad you survived it well!

Pam
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM
FitDay Member

Oh I adore the DH. He's my best friend. I know corny but what can I say?

Yeah I should tell them to take the bread out of the restaurant period. If there is a carb on the premises, I will seek it out. Altho I'm not so big on pasta anymore. And satisfied with less sweets. I also try to have them pack away half my meal when I eat out. Good for diet and wallet.

So, everyone, ideas on losing these last pounds?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
So, everyone, ideas on losing these last pounds?

Packing half of you meal is a good idea.

I recently ask the waiter to subtitue my carb for steam vegi.
I try to search the nutrition data (if I know the restaurant I am going to), but most of the time the this fit my diet is not what I want. I advoid to go to place like The cheese cake factory, Red lobster, .... most of their dishes is close than 2000 cals.

4 -6 weeks ago, I was kind of stuck on my plateu. I do atkin (induction) for 2 weeks. It's help the scale budges. Now I add carb back on but not a lot (max would be 120g carb/day). It's seem working. Hopefully, next week we see the new low number.
Mai
Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

Hello ladies,

So I have said this to myself or my Husband about a dozen different times but I am starting to count calories today and hoping to maintain it for at least a few weeks. My goal is to between 1200-1400 daily. Can I really do it this time??? Summer is getting close!! Weekends are my weakness especially when there are social events. Plus week days are just so much easier to plan because there is some sort of schedule with work and all. On the weekend I have a hard time deciding what and how much to eat during the day to allow for some calories for beers in case we do something. I have found myself hungry at days end when we don't do anything or regretting all the stuff I ate earlier when we do as all my calories were used up. SO hard for me!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Juliet,for sharing the info about the weight vs. measurement. I've been doing more strength training/weights, with the program recommended in the Women's Health Big Book of exercises, and the scale shows some loss, but not as much as I'd like. However, my pants are much more loose. Well, I saw my parents at Christmas, and they came to see me yesterday, and my Mom remarked, "You're so thin. .you lost weight. ." Not really, the numbers haven't really budged that much. Hopefully, the numbers will catch up with the fat loss, if that's possible.
Congratulations on the size 4, Mai! Hoping to get there, too. .
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by outdrsgrl05
I've been doing more strength training/weights, with the program recommended in the Women's Health Big Book of exercises, and the scale shows some loss, but not as much as I'd like. However, my pants are much more loose.
Hi, I went to check out that book on Amazon ($7 used btw). I was disappointed at the page preview. I was hoping to see a few of the exercises but they only preview text portions.

How long have you been using the book? I have a couple other books but haven't incorporated them into my workout yet. I have Buff Brides (already married but whatever ) and then a step aerobics one by Tamilee Webb. Both of those books are black and white.

Yesterday I was probably close to my calorie goal. Starting to track this week alone was an accomplishment for me because I was not sure how many calories were in some stuff so it would have been very easy for me to say "eh, I'll start next week when I know exactly what I am having". We got some ground beef from the neighbor - no calorie or fat content available. I figured it at higher fat and calorie content but found that when we cooked it, it was very lean.

So my goal was to stay between 1200-1400 calories. I got seconds at dinner which I shouldn't have but what can I say it was a favorite dish. Even with that I totaled 1666 calories for the day. Yes, above the 1400 but maybe in reality not by that much if the meat was leaner than I calculated. Today, again figuring the meals on the high side should total out to be under 1200.

I have been getting in my workouts but I don't really see that as an issue. M, W was No More Trouble Zones strength training DVD. Tues. was 40 minutes walking on the treadmil. Today I have printed material on starting a running program. I am leery though because my knees do bother me here and there and I certainly don't want to do long term damage.

Hope everyone else is having a good week!

Last edited by anderson02; 03-30-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

I hopped on the scale this morning. Hopping to lose something. Nope. 2 pounds more.
I really don't know what I did wrong. Kind of tired of 1 week down and 1 week up, basic plateu again.
Mai
Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by lastri
I hopped on the scale this morning. Hopping to lose something. Nope. 2 pounds more.
I really don't know what I did wrong. Kind of tired of 1 week down and 1 week up, basic plateu again.
Mai

Bummer Mai!
But stick to your guns, you were doing really well there. You'll get the rhythm back soon enough.

I have to admit I haven't weighed-in in a while. I have been eating quite well, but I have also been lift heavy weights for a couple of weeks and getting several longish runs in. All of which tend to make me retain fluids. So rather than getting discouraged by the scale, I have been enjoying a modestly shrinking bod as evidence by looser and looser clothing.

I'll check my weight next week (maybe )

Pam
Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM
FitDay Member

Well, thought I'd drop in on this thread again. Thanks for starting a fresh one, runbikeski.

Today I came within 1/2# of my goal! Just when I thought I was stuck on a plateau.

But I had a funny thing happen at tennis this morning. I had two women come up separately and asked if I was OK (one actually asked if I was well!). It occurred to me that they thought I'd been stricken with some malady that caused me to lose weight. So then I had the sinking feeling that I must look horrible or something. Another woman made the comment that it was only because I'd seemed to have lost weight so quickly. Quickly???? It's seemed like forever, but it's only been 3 months, less than a pound a week.

Big changes that have made weight loss happen: pretty much eliminated butter and spread; REALLY cut back on refined foods, sugar, bread. Bread is the hardest, but I discovered multigrain flatout bread at only 100 calories. For those of you who haven't seen it, you fill it with healthy veggies, cheese, etc, and roll it up.

So I'm happy to begin maintenance--after I lose that last 1/2#, of course. Good luck to all of you!

Start wt Jan 1: 135
Goal wt April 1: 122
Actual wt Apr 1: 122.5
Pounds lost: 12.5 (Yippee!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.