Notices

Restart: 5-15lb club

Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

Whew!! Thanks to the ministers, LOL.
Great, you make it through another temtation.
Mai
Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

pam, i totally agree that the inches matter more than the weight!!! this reminds me that I need to be diligent about measuring!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey Julia,
Are you still working on maintaining at the moment? I know lots of us have had this conversation before, but man... why is maintaining so much harder than losing?

Abby, devine intervention???
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
but man... why is maintaining so much harder than losing?
AMEN!! Maybe because with losing, we know what to do. How to maintain, who knows?

Also, there's probably the unconscious factor of thinking we have "wiggle room," which, in my case, quickly turns to "jiggle room."
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

hi pam yes, i'm still working on maintaining--and will be for the rest of my life, but that doesn't scare me anymore. i've maintained my weight within 8lbs for 5 years.

i agree that it is really hard, but gaining and then trying to lose the weight again is even harder. plus, we all know and feel the benefits of being a healthy weight. we might still have some pudge we don't like, but really, no matter what weight we are our brains might always see pudge. i still calorie track and maybe I always will. I try to indulge a little bit when I want but to keep it small and in control. i tell myself that since I want to live like this for life I can't be extreme in anyway. this works 90% of the time. parties are hard for me.

earlier this week I made the goal of trying to lose 5 pounds by late May, but if I'm hoping to keep it low key---and not ever eat less than 1200 cals a day. as I don't want to feel like i have to cut back much since that might not be sustainable.

i think that we need to try and take the pressure off of ourselves, and congratulate ourselves for what we have accomplished.

what are your goals, Pam?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Goals

Hi All

I still haven't posted milestones and goals in my signature even after over a year as a relatively faithful subscriber. BUT a week from tomorrow I will go in for my 1 year weight-in after reaching my goal of 140 and my plan is to post before, after, and where ever I stand now. (I had plannned on also posting an avatar, but that option seems to be out of order for the moment.)

In all honesty my goals are a little nebulous at the moment. Since reaching 140 last April I have bounced around 135 starting last summer, which given my 5'4" stature is just fine. But for some reason I just want to get into the 120's, but I really do not think that I need to be anything smaller than the size 4 I am now so, hmmmm....

In January I started serious weight lifting, so now I am thinking maybe an appropriate goal is a % body fat in the high teens... forget about the actual weight.

hmmm... being a goal oriented person I need something to work towards, just can't quite identify what that might be at the moment.

It kind of gets back to the maintenance vs. reduction phase.
Most of us that have been successful, have been successful because we have been able to identify a goal and go for it. Without that carrot in front of us it is often difficult to find an objective to focus on.

Pam
Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

I haven't read this whole thread, but in my own weight loss struggle (was up to about 195 - down to 154 - goal 130) the best thing I ever did was sign up with a personal trainer. My fiance went with me for the first 10 sessions so I didn't feel so alone, but now I have been going by myself.

Yes, it is expensive, but it is soooooo worth it. I go once per week and then my trainer gives me homework to do during the week. Buying 10 sessions at a time is an incredible motivator to keep working at this (I couldn't stand the idea of all that money going to waste!) and when it is just you and the trainer, you are that much more accountable.

For foods I am doing my best to stick with low carbs (but not atkins low) and high protein. I am also staying away from grains the best I can. I think I may be sensitive/allergic to wheat (as much as I hate to admit) and eating carbs like anything with flour or sugar, just makes me more hungry and makes me crave more. When I'm eating low carb I am much more relaxed and happy because the cravings go away.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

i like the idea of doing a body fat percentage goal!!

pam, my weight goal is also nebulous in my head even if i write it down like it's clear. i think range over 4 pounds or so is healthy for a goal weight.

my roommate, who looks like she is exactly my size weighs 20 lbs more than me. seriously! i was shocked. she might even be smaller than me in her thighs. some people just have a denser body mass. if you are a size 4 and feel great, then just try to maintain the size 4 and workout to your hearts content on whatever body fat you want...would that work for you?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

As you know I am stuck at 128 for more than 6 weeks now. And I read a lot about mesurement instead of watching the scale. This morning I measured my waist and I lost 1.5 inches.
Oh, how great I feel! It's give me a boots to keep going.
Mai
Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by lastri
As you know I am stuck at 128 for more than 6 weeks now. And I read a lot about mesurement instead of watching the scale. This morning I measured my waist and I lost 1.5 inches.
Oh, how great I feel! It's give me a boots to keep going.
Mai
Excellent! Every little success helps - well done Mai

I woke up feeling particularly skinny this morning so I pulled out the measuring tape and discovered that I had lost 1/2" from my waist. Since waists can sometimes be the last part of my body to register fat loss I was feeling pretty good about that too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.