Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
To chime in gently on the subject of weight loss - everyone's journey is personal. I don't care if it's 50 or 500 lbs. As long as you're doing it for the right reasons, we're all in this together. Maybe someone was never obese, but that doesn't mean that they don't have body image issues. My sister is tiny - 5'2", maybe 100 lbs. soaking wet - but I know that she looks in the mirror every day, wondering how to make her body better. I told her she should start by cutting out the cheeseburgers but...in the end, we all just want to be healthy, right? Whatever number that is, and wherever you start from - high fives on that goal!
You probably put that much better than I ever could have and thank you. I am not in any way trying to say that every person who feels that they have weight to lose is not justified in what they think. I was only trying to say that I was happy to have a place to come to and talk about it with people who understand because nobody in my daily "real" life understands as they are all people who are already small and most of them have been that way their whole life. Again, I apologize for the way that it came out.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

An interesting issue. I just finished advising a friend who has only 5 pounds to lose to join fitday as she would find the support she needs here. She is doing great with maintaining a 25 pound loss. She belongs to a local group but the rest of us have much larger amounts to lose. When you would love to be anywhere near her size it's hard to understand her battle.

Mary
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Progress Update...

This Week's Goals:

1- Exercise every day - Monday & Tuesday: gym session yes and yes, Wednesday: gym and hot yoga yes and yes, Thursday: gym and ballet class, Friday: gym. Saturday: day off to prep and rest up for Sunday auditions!
2- Use green smoothies to fill up before dinner and/or in exchange for evening snacks. M T W smoothies with 30g spinach each: yes
3- Use kitchen scale religiously. yes - couldn't live without it
4- Keep under 30 g fat per day. Monday: 48g great big NO. Ugh, why did we have to go out for wing nite? Tuesday: 24.7g Wednesday: 14.4g

Non-Fitness Goals:

1- Use my self-tanner daily to mitigate my apple-white winter skin! - yuck! M T W: yes
2- Teeth whitening 4 consecutive days pre-tryouts (W, T, F, S). W: no. But I really should, if only because it keeps my mouth foodless for an hour or two....
3- Mystic Tan on Saturday for an extra boost of bronze! scheduled for 10am!
4- Clean bedroom, master bath, closet. No...in fact, negative progress made - dumped more clean laundry all over the floor in an effort to find my hot yoga shorts....
5- Keep kitchen clean! Definitely no...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
My son, who works in CIS, just emailed me "340 Restaurant Recipes"...
Pretty much every bad for you restaurant recipe in existance... sigh.....

Thanks, son... now all I can think about is "Applebee's Spinach Dip"... UGH!!!
Quinn, you are the healthy modification recipe queen...go to it!
(then post results)!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

cassie, no vids this time.

almeeker, 3 day update... I had a cup a day for 3 days. I guess I got use to the taste b/c it's really pretty good, BUT I started having cramping today and the results were a little less subtle. So 3 days is the max for me. Oh they sell it at Target, probably Walmart too.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

I appreciate everyone sharing their views on the weight loss journey. I feel that it's the same for all of us, and it's different for all of us. In other words, some things we have in common, and some things we will never understand. For example, I would never presume to post in the 100 pounds to lose thread, because I've never been there.

That doesn't mean I've never been 50+ pounds heavier than I am now, which I have. It doesn't mean that I haven't had the meltdowns in dressing rooms, haven't had the agony of nothing in my closet fitting (and by that I mean, literally nothing I can put on, not "nothing looks good."). It doesn't mean that I don't fight daily to not stuff snacks in my mouth from an hour after dinner till the time I fall asleep. It doesn't mean that I don't go through the self-loathing and disgust whenever I've eaten three times the calories I should have in a day. It doesn't mean that I wasn't an overweight child who was made fun of and always painfully self-conscious. It doesn't mean that I don't worry about my health, because before I lost my weight I was in the ER with heart issues on two occasions before the age of 40.

I am glad that folks have chimed in and acknowledged that you can't compare. It really is true that you can't know what it's like until you walk in someone's shoes. But sometimes if you've had those shoes on before, or if you've had similar shoes, some of your experience can be useful, and that is why these boards are so helpful for all of us.

I had never been able to reach my goal, not before FitDay. And wouldn't have this time, if it weren't for the help of the folks here. Thank you all for being here and keeping the boards alive.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 03-24-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

well yesterday i was home with a migraine & totally didn't stick to my food plan in any way. i'm not sure why i can do well for like two weeks & then get off track. i'm THINKING that i'm going to pick up a small notebook & EVERYTIME i go to eat something i have to write down why i'm going to eat. 'like i'm eating as it's lunch time & eating stuff that will get me to my goal. or i'm bored & craving something sweet. or i'm in a bad mood & want popcorn.' i'm hoping that if i take a few mins & jot down a thought or two it might make me think before i put something in my mouth that won't get me to my goal.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
An interesting issue. I just finished advising a friend who has only 5 pounds to lose to join fitday as she would find the support she needs here. She is doing great with maintaining a 25 pound loss. She belongs to a local group but the rest of us have much larger amounts to lose. When you would love to be anywhere near her size it's hard to understand her battle.

Mary
Maintenance is really hard. At my highest, I was around 160 (non-pregnancy weight). At that weight, people encouraged my weight loss efforts, or at least understood. At 118, people almost want to see me fail. They encourage poor eating choices (...you're thin, what difference does it make?) They analyze what I eat to see if I've "given up" on my healthy eating habits. They constantly ask me what I weigh. (I was raised to believe that that was rude.)
Believe me, there's no encouragement when you reach your goal... quite the opposite. You have to rely solely on yourself.

I've lost 20-40 lbs. 4 times in my life and never once kept it off. When I reached my goal, I basically said, "Whew! I'm glad that's over!" and resumed my poor eating habits, almost immediately. Within 6 months, the weight always came back.

Like I've said before, if maintaining a weight loss were easy, we'd all be swim suit models. It's not easy. You have to maintain new lower calorie amounts, consistently. You have to ignore friends and family members who encourage you to fail. Everything I say and do at family gatherings is analyzed. (I'm shocked they haven't started to weigh my food. )

When I gain 5 lbs., I work really hard to get it off because once you get close to your goal, it gets even harder to get the weight to come down.

Like Cassie, my original goal when I started in January of 2010 was 125. When I got there, I was disappointed that I didn't have the body that I thought I had at 25. So, I dropped a little further, within healthy BMI levels of course.

Richard Simmons use to have a great line that went something like, "...throw out your scale, and stand naked in front of a full length mirror. Do you like what you see or are there areas that could use a little improvement?" Unless you have an eating disorder, which I do not, that can be brutally honest. Especially at 48! I'm never going to have the body of a 25 year old again, but I can be the healthiest 48 year old that I am capable of.

The next time you see your friend, encourage her and hold her up. Someday, she'll remember your kindness and help you maintain your weight goal, too.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I appreciate everyone sharing their views on the weight loss journey. I feel that it's the same for all of us, and it's different for all of us. In other words, some things we have in common, and some things we will never understand. For example, I would never presume to post in the 100 pounds to lose thread, because I've never been there.

That doesn't mean I've never been 50+ pounds heavier than I am now, which I have. It doesn't mean that I haven't had the meltdowns in dressing rooms, haven't had the agony of nothing in my closet fitting (and by that I mean, literally nothing I can put on, not "nothing looks good."). It doesn't mean that I don't fight daily to not stuff snacks in my mouth from an hour after dinner till the time I fall asleep. It doesn't mean that I don't go through the self-loathing and disgust whenever I've eaten three times the calories I should have in a day. It doesn't mean that I wasn't an overweight child who was made fun of and always painfully self-conscious. It doesn't mean that I don't worry about my health, because before I lost my weight I was in the ER with heart issues on two occasions before the age of 40.

I am glad that folks have chimed in and acknowledged that you can't compare. It really is true that you can't know what it's like until you walk in someone's shoes. But sometimes if you've had those shoes on before, or if you've had similar shoes, some of your experience can be useful, and that is why these boards are so helpful for all of us.
very well put & i totally agree with you.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Terri, you have an excellent point about "choosing." That right there is a word that puts you in control. And responsible for the choice...

One word can carry a lot of weight and be a privilege and a curse. I'm going to try to be mindful of the word "choice" today. Taking my son out to eat after jazz band, and we all know what happens when it's their turn to pick the restaurant. Hopefully I can choose well when we get there. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.