Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

jj- I can see why it would be great to be a hermit, hopefully it means that better days are to come.

almeeker/ quinn- I'm going to have to get that book. I was raised by parents who had very clear lines to what we could/couldn't eat. It would confuse us to no end why our "fruit role ups" came in wax paper (my mom would make real fruit puree and bake it to a leather) The funny part is my friends used to want to trade for it instead. There was no such thing as pop until we were in our teens. Now my fiance and I have our house which will only have pop if there is company coming. We try and keep the "tempations" out of here which makes it a lot easier to stick to.

We know family members who would do great by learning "no". Be it animal or child the knowlege of "no" is irreplaceable for quality of life.

This week is going great down to 119 (4 lbs to goal!) though I did slip up a little last night.... ice cream was involved. I'm finding the no refined carbs to be much easier than I expected and am limiting by choice through the week. I just seem to feel better without them.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

I am so happy to hear that I am not the only parent on this board who will gladly tell their almost teen " I wasn't put here to be your friend. " when he shouts, "I hate you. You are the worst mom ever!" Ya gotta love that part of being a Mom. My younger one can be a real challenge and he spends a lot of time with no video games, cell phone or computer when his attitude can't be tolerated any more. I figure if I don't set rules & examples for them now, what are they going to do when they are out on their own? My husband tells them too...if you behaved this way at work...You would be fired. Sometimes that sinks in with him and sometimes not. All in all, they make me proud to be their mom though.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

jj,

I absolutely loved your post! Then we wonder why it's hard to stay on a diet, right?

almeeker,

I agree. I'm at the other end of parenting. The part where your children are (hopefully) grown, productive, married adults (my 27 year old, anyway). Although I am no expert and certainly have no formal training, I know this as a fact... the example that we set at home, most of the time, is the example that they use to set up their own homes, good or bad. (Although they won't admit it... ) Ideas of ours that they like and those that they reject will be used as their foundation.

I think... again, simply my opinion, that it's just as important to be good role models for them with our health, nutrition and fitness as it is to be good role models in other traditional areas. My kids know that, 3 seasons of the year, mom and dad walk every morning and we invite them to come with. They see that good nutrition isn't just a fad or something recently discovered. (My grandmother held a master's degree in food and nutrition from Cornell three generations ago.)

Do we drink? Do we smoke? Do we exercise? Do we take care of ourselves emotionally? You can't fool them. They see everything and they are watching every moment of every day. My 27 year old can remember sentences that I said to him when he was five!

Last edited by quinnesec; 03-23-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Parenting

It's is interesting b/c sometimes you try to do everything right but it didn't show.
I have try to feed my kids as healthy as I can. Snack on fruit and vegi, cheese. Every meal have 3 components of vegi, protein, starch. Juice, chocolate milk just occasionally. Hot dog and other junk just have one in a while. Everybody said how healthy their diet is.
But they loves junks (hot dogs, fried food, burger, cake, chocolate, icecream.....you name it). I think some of this is came from gernetic (Daddy's side.. LOL)
Yesterday, my 3 years old request "hamburger and fried for dinner". It took me 30 minutes to explain to him that it's impossible b/c I already have dinner plan (spaghetti and meatball). He gives in at the end but It took some kind of patien for it.
I don't know what he gonna be like when he 13. I am sure I still love him though.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I don't know who you're referring to, but if it's me, my comments were directed at the mother of the 6 and 3 year old who ran the show, not you.
I suppose wildbeanerz was referring to me, and all I can say is that I offer advice that is free for anyone to take or leave. When I hear someone saying that they are having a tough time with something, I tend to share advice that may be helpful. This discussion of food for kids to be healthy has been going on long before today's post and it's a relevant topic that members have discussed over time.

I don't believe I ever said you didn't feed your children healthy foods, only that if it tempts, you, there's a way to avoid that.

I'm here to maintain my weight and to learn and share. That doesn't mean I have any less right to be here, no matter the size of my jeans.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

What have I missed today??? I guess I'll chime in with my 2 cents, I think that's all I have left.

When it come to pop tarts. I use to love them, one of my favorite late night snacks! They do have a ton of calories and bad stuff in them, but that's besides the point. The point that has been missed is that Toaster Strudels > Pop Tarts hands down! As I close my eyes I can almost feel the flakey crust and if I had one and my 18 year old daughter wanted it, I'd have to tell her no... as I was eating it!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

Call me dumb, but I rarely look at the signatures as far as how much weight someone has to take off. I don't think it matters. Whether you have 5, 50, 100, 150 lbs. to take off, it doesn't matter. It's the same struggle. Everyone needs encouragement and motivation to lose and to maintain that loss. It's tough to maintain. Really tough.

If losing weight and maintaining that weight loss were easy, we'd all be skinny, young models out in Cali somewhere, right?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

Well I'd certainly like to think so...
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
FitDay Member

Naw I take that back, I don't really see myself as the "model" type, hand me the camera please, I can take it from there.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6

What have I missed today??? I guess I'll chime in with my 2 cents, I think that's all I have left.

When it come to pop tarts. I use to love them, one of my favorite late night snacks! They do have a ton of calories and bad stuff in them, but that's besides the point. The point that has been missed is that Toaster Strudels > Pop Tarts hands down! As I close my eyes I can almost feel the flakey crust and if I had one and my 18 year old daughter wanted it, I'd have to tell her no... as I was eating it!
You're right Toaster Strudels are uber-delicious, artery clogging, love handle building, rectangles of yumminess. Mike you have to take it easy on my this week, dude I'm grain-free, and thanks to you I'm now experiencing phantom fragrance sensations, like what it would smell like if I hung my head over a hot toaster full of strudels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.