FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   What are your Spring Equinox Resolutions? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/3755-what-your-spring-equinox-resolutions.html)

RunbikeSki 03-20-2011 06:52 AM

What are your Spring Equinox Resolutions?

Happy spring everyone!

I think Jan 1 is a horrible time of the year to try to eliminate bad habits and start the good ones. It's so dark, cold, and gloomy; who can stick to a great resolution like "I'll keep fat calories less that 30%" when all you want to do is hunker down with your favorite comfort food and a bowl of ice cream.

But SPRING! That's the time of rejuvination, rebirth, and restoration.

So what are your resolutions for the real new year?

They can be a reaffirmation of the Jan 1 resolutions, a revisit and adjustment of those resolutons, or something brand new.

Pam's resolutions for 2011:

1.) Cut back on the alcohol consumption during the week. One glass of beer or wine with the meal at the most - preferably none most nights. I love good beer and wine, but one does not need to love it every single night of the week.
2.) Lose the last 6 or 7 lbs and see what it is like to weigh less that 130 for the first time in my adult life.
3.) Go on at least 4 mountain bike adventures with the love of my life, and friends this summer. I've been neglecting the "bike" part of my screen name for too long.
4.) Spend more time connecting to what little family I have left. Long story, but my mother, sister, and I have never been very close. Although I don't expect any miracles, someone needs to take the first several steps in getting us closer, and it might as well be me.
5.) Mostly a reaffirmation: Life is for living. Love the life you are given and do your best to share that love with everyone around you.

OK... who's next?

cjohnson728 03-21-2011 06:09 AM

Hi Pam!

This was a good thought. I am also of the mind that New Years is a silly time for resolutions; to me it's so arbitrary...you can always decide, on any day of the year, to make a change. I do tend to start watching my diet a little more closely after the holidays, though, but that's only because the junk is gone ;).

So, now being as good a time as any, here's what I'm thinking:

1. Work on time management so balancing home, work, and family responsibilities doesn't seem so crazy.

2. Be more natural...foods, cleaning products, etc.

3. Be more adventurous with cooking and make more things from scratch that I previously would have purchased; try new recipes on a regular basis.

4. Work on improving my flexibility.

5. Go out with friends more often (if I do #1, this shouldn't be a problem).

6. Balance. In lots of ways; make this my mantra :)

Thanks, Pam. Best of luck with yours.

lastri 03-22-2011 05:32 AM

That's a good idea. THe weather is warmer. Time to take of all our layer and can have lot of walk out side. I am always motivate when I can wear flip flop. My goal is to be able to wear bikini this summer (Jun to be exact). But I don't know if I can since I don't have much willpower over every weekend. Maybe I can make some new goal to reacch my bikini goal. I have about 15-18 pounds to that bikini goal. Ok, here is my goal:
1. Balance pie chart fat 30-protein 50- carbs 20
2. Train for half marathon by Jun
3. At least 500 cals deficit daily
4. Buy a bikini in June 1,

Kumochi 03-22-2011 06:34 AM

Good Idea

My resolution is to move to cooking more of my meals and eating more natural foods. I have been following that related thread.

I have cut down on my prepared foods and have laready noticed an increase in my weight loss. By the fall equinox I want to be eating 80 percent home prepared food.

I also want to clean junk out of my house. I've started and it feels so good to be tossing stuff I've held onto for years. It can go out with the extra pounds. Mary

MollySue2 03-22-2011 10:45 PM

Good idea, Pam!
I'm more of a spring resolution type myself :)

I will
1. find myself a new job
2. lose those last 10 lbs till July
3. go on a hiking trip this spring (April or May)
4. log all foods eaten
5. continue to work out three times a week and try to up that to 4 times a week
6. take my bike as often as possible
7. prepare food from scratch instead of buying processed food
8. improve my Spanish

taubele 03-23-2011 03:39 AM

Oh, this is a neat idea! I must admit I started my journey more cause it was an "after the holidays" sort of thing rather than New Year (holidays is just...too much food, it would be like shooting myself in the foot).

The whole idea of "Spring" just makes me think of "outside" and living life!

My resolutions are as follows:

1) Lose enough weight, and strengthen my ankle enough, to feel comfortable joining an intermural tennis league. I miss tennis so much.

2) Visit with my best friend, whom I miss terribly and who has recently moved much closer! I want to get up to see him sometime this summer. I'd also love to see his jaw drop if I lose a lot of weight by that time :D According to my plan, around my birthday I should be weighing 165 or so...haven't weighed that little since MAYBE I was 14.

3) Cook more foods. I'm so much better about cooking now, but I'm starting to fall into a "same old" recipe rut, because it's comfortable. I'd love to try at least one new recipe a week.

4) Feel more successful and useful in my job. I can do this by focusing more on experiments and less on the "etc." that seems to come with being a professional.

RunbikeSki 03-23-2011 10:42 AM

Hi all,
Thanks for joining in!
Cassie, I think I need to borrow your resolution #5. Between work and home life, I do seem to neglect the importance of friends.
Yup, lastri, flip-flops! Who can feel motivated when you are weighted down by 10lb snow boots? Good luck with the 1/2 Mara
Mary, I love the idea of tossing out the accumulated junk along with the extra pounds!
taubele, whew, when you figure out how to reduce the focus on the "etc" that comes with our jobs, please let me know. Sometimes I need to remind myself that I am a scientist, not a manager of the "etc."

I see most of you are including some cooking theme to your resolutions - what a great idea. I guess it all goes hand- in-hand with being more in tune with eating in general. Now that food has a new role in our lives as a source of nutrients and fuel for our bodies, rather than a substitute for some missing component in our lives, it stand to reason that we would want to consume only the best.

Good luck everyone!

Anyone else thinking about SPRING?

Pam