FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Hystoerectomy and weight loss/gain? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/3728-hystoerectomy-weight-loss-gain.html)

kr1styk 03-17-2011 03:41 AM

Hystoerectomy and weight loss/gain?

I am facing a situation and would like to know if anyone has any similar experiences. I have been told I may have to have a hysterectomy, either partial or total. I'm 32 and I may keep 1 ovary, not sure just yet. My question is will this make it harder to loss weight or will I gain weight from it. As of now I have been trying to lose weight and its not coming off. I am hoping that once this is done it will be easier to take the pounds off. Thanks in advance

taubele 03-17-2011 03:53 AM

Hi kr1styk -

I would suggest talking with your doctor about your concerns about weight change after hysterectomy. Partial or total will affect your surgery, recovery time, food/exercise restrictions after surgery, etc.

I'm not an M.D., though I know a bit about endocrinology, so I'll let you know what I think. Again, though, talking with your medical doctor about ANY of these questions is the way to go.

In terms of your hormones, you'd be put on estrogen supplements after a total hysterectomy (not sure about partial - perhaps a smaller estrogen regiment, or none at all). Estrogen supplementation may cause fluid retention, which may affect your weight. However, it should be fairly minor unless they're heaping the estrogen on you (this will depend on several factors, such as your weight, age, and medical profile). Whether or not they'd put you on progestin/progesterone would also depend on your medical profile. Progestin in particular can cause an uptick in your appetite, but again, it will probably be fairly minor.

In general, the most you'd have to worry about is a lack of activity and bedrest after this sort of surgery. Hysterectomy is a major surgery, and will require lots of bedrest and probably months of time where you won't be able to do much exercise due to your healing body and pain limitations. You'll get your appetite back probably long before you'd be able to do much exercise to work off calories, so maintaining what you eat would be the key thing, in my mind.

Some women report weight loss, some gain after this sort of surgery. There are too many factors to know how it might affect you personally - your doctor would be the best person to help you. I wish you luck, and hopefully the smoothest sailing possible!

kr1styk 03-17-2011 04:01 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. Procede with caution......TMI As far as being put on hormones, I won't know if I will have to take any or not. As of right now I have to have left ovary out, maybe uterus. If once they go in and find endometriosis, I may lose it all. If everything is taken out I will be put on hormones, if they leave the right ovary I may not be put on any meds. Its early in the game for me, just found out this week I have several cysts on each ovary. Left side has a bigger one and is solid, which is why its coming out. Right side all appear to be functional cysts, for now.

GameGal 03-17-2011 04:07 AM

I can only tell you my experience ( but its always best to ask your doctor who knows you and your body). I am in my 50's. I had a full hysterectomy because of uterine cancer. I was not put on estrogen nor progesterone which may have been a mistake at the time since I then went immediately into menopause UGH!

But in my case, I had 5 surgeries at once and it was a major thing. And for weeks I could barely move.. and yet I dropped about 40 lbs. The explaination given was that your body expends lot of calories trying to heal itself. And that seemed to be the case.

HOWEVER, after about 6 weeks of losing, and I was finally able to walk more than to the bathroom.. my body reversed its trend and I started gaining like crazy. I not only gained those 40 back but an additional 50 in a short time.

So it is hard to say how your body will react. I have a friend who is much thinner than I, had the same thing(s) done and was up and moving etc in 2 weeks and her weight didnt change at all. So I dont think there is a set answer that applies to all!

Good luck!

taubele 03-17-2011 04:08 AM

You're very welcome - Sorry to hear about your medical news - I can only imagine how scary/overwhelming it must be for you at 32!

My only advice is to keep asking questions every step of the way. NO medical question is a dumb question; most M.D.'s I know are very happy when their patients want to be informed. I'm sure they will do what's in your very best interests, but don't go in blind :)

kr1styk 03-17-2011 04:12 AM

taubele- Thank you

Scary/overwhelming, that's to say the least.