Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
No More Flapping Flab in February - 100+ Ladies Thread >

No More Flapping Flab in February - 100+ Ladies Thread

Community
Notices

No More Flapping Flab in February - 100+ Ladies Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default No More Flapping Flab in February - 100+ Ladies Thread

Hello out there all you lovelies!!! On the motivational thread cristineval asked me what happened to our thread? And I was like ummmm, dunno. So here it is. So hey ladies, what is up? Hopefully it's not the scale eh? Me I'm plugging along, haven't lost a ton lately, but I keep at it. Works out are going well, a friend called me "Sarah Connor" the other day. He's a goofy dork and looks something like Arnold, so of course he will make up any excuse to use that accent. It was sort of funny though.

I'm still struggling daily with my calorie intake, I have the curves and appetite of a MUCH taller woman. And I'm looking to do a 10K, my first such event ever. I was planning to run, but I've discovered something horrible about having lived through 3 pregnancies (besides the children LOL). Some parts of me are just fine running and other parts of me fail miserably after about 20 minutes. So I think running for an hour+ (in public) is out of the question. The legs and lungs could do it no problem, the bladder - um, not so much. So I'm going to walk and take some of the kids with me, if they want to go.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

It kind of seemed like there weren't a lot of people around anymore. Maybe just the time of year? Hopefully, people will drift back and let us know how they are doing, good or bad! We are here to support (and maybe gently kick you in the tushy, if that is what you need)!

I've been revived since the new year, and am trucking along at my usual (slow) weight loss pace. I sort of took November and December off, so it feels good to be back in the swing of things. And much easier to do without all of those treats around all the time! My successes lately have been sticking to my food plan and walking at lunchtime. The pounds are dropping again, slowly but surely.

I hear what you are saying on the running, almeeker. When I first lost 100 pounds almost 20 years ago, I got into running just because it was something I was never able to do before I lost the weight. I never loved it, or even really liked it, like some people do, but now I think I'm just too old for all of that abuse. I get a lot of the same benefits with fast walking, and none of the injuries, so I'm going to stick to that.

It does feel good, though, to cross that finish line and know you have accomplished something that you weren't able to do a year ago. I hope you enjoy it and your family joins you. I think what you are doing as a role model for your kids is just as important as the weight you are losing for yourself. I work for a school district, and our kids sure do need healthy role models.

So, how is everyone doing? Let us know!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
FitDay Member

I'll join the party, and also give almeeker big props for walking, running, crawling, or *whatever* a 10k - I think it'll be great, no matter how you and yours end up doing it.

Things are going well here on my end; I can't complain at all. I've (finally) found a good calorie range, and have added Tae Bo and stability ball exercises (thank you, almeeker and the other responder, whose name escapes my sleepy brain at the moment) to my repertoire, as it were. So far, so good. I like Billy Blanks, the Tae Bo instructor - he's kind of goofy, and sometimes I laugh at his attire, but as soon as I giggle, he makes me grunt or go "wooooooooooooooo" as my arms feel like they're going to fall off. I think he knows, somehow, when I make fun of him. My husband is joining me for the ball and Tae Bo, so that makes it way more fun, especially when we both tease poor old Billy, lol.

I'm in school again, 4 years after getting my B.A., and that's going pretty well. I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up my exercise level/routine that I worked so hard to get to, but I've surprised myself and even stepped it up. A friend of mine told me I was getting "buff," which, with 60-ish# to go, I highly doubt, but it was nice to hear anyway! Haha, guess I'm a sucker for flattery.

I think a lot of folks have made the unisex 100+ thread their 'home,' and I do think that's a great thread (I like encouraging the men, too!), but I also think it's important to keep this one alive and well, too.

Well, gals, since going back to school, I can't hang as late as I used to, so it's bedtime for me. Be kind to yourselves, and remember to make every day count.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,

I'm glad I found this thread. I hope to visit a lot - it might not be every day, but I will try to post several times a week.

Just a quick bit about myself - I'm 47 and I need to lose 120 lbs. I struggle with a lot of fear and really have a hard time not giving in to the urge to quit. I could go on and on, but you all know this song and dance...

I'm at that age now where I realize that if I want to be with my family and take care of them (I'm married and have two boys who are on the Autism Spectrum), I have to do something now - so that's why I 'm here.

~Justina
Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Justina. It's great to have you here! I'm so glad you decided to take the first step in spite of the fear. Sometimes, just getting started on the road is the hardest part. Once you get into a groove and healthy living becomes a habit, the days just fly by along with the pounds. Well, maybe not FLY by, but they at least creep past faster than a slug.

I hope you feel comfortable enough to share your bad days as well as the good. I think we lose a lot of people because they are afraid or embarrassed to post when they are not doing well. We've all had those times where we've eaten the whole pizza or polished off a box of chocolates in one sitting. The most important part is to get right back on it and not beat yourself up too much. It took a long time to put on the weight, and it is ok if it takes a long time to take it off. The great thing is that each new day is a brand new chance to have a healthy start.

I think I'm going to go jump on the Wii Fit and start this day out the right way. My best to everyone on the thread, posting or not. Make it a great, healthy day!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

I'm still around also. And still on the longest plateau of my life. I am not gaining and not losing.

Winter is a depressing time for me and so I feel lucky just to get out of bed each day. And I am hoping in the Spring to get back my motivation and lose more. I know I will return to aquasize then.

I basically left the forums when it seemed no one was posting and didnt even bother making this topic for February because it seems everyone had gone to other threads. So I am happy to see it back also. And hope more come back.

Good job to those who have hung in there and kept their motivation!

Umm Almeeker if it is because you have umm leakage when you run, a little trick I learned ( until I eventually had to have surgery) is wearing a tampon pushes up the bladder and stops that from happening. It is not healthy to do that all the time, but I am betting if you do it when you run, that would be fine ( if that is the problem). If that's not it, not sure what to tell you. But even if you walk it, skip, or hop.. its a major accomplishment!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:17 PM
FitDay Member

As embarrassing as it is to admit, yes Gamegal, that's the problem exactly. 99% of the time I don't have that issue at all, so it was a bit shocking to discover. I've been using the treadmill to get in condition for the 10K and once I got the race training up to a sustained 20 minute run, I had issues. The first 20 minutes are no problem, I've tried running 15-18, then walking for 5, which helps a little, but isn't a complete fix either. I've been drinking cranberry juice, about 8 oz every day and that seems to help some, but I don't think it will help enough for me to run an hour +.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hmmm. Most women our age suffer from leakage when they laugh hard or sneeze.. and doing kegal (sp?) exercizes to stregthen the floor of the pelvis can help. But if cranberry juice helps, then that makes me think it might be an infection. When I have had a urinary track infection or a bladder infection, my doctor told me to drink lots of cranberry juice.

So you might want to go to the doc and see if its something temporary, otherwise, unless you need/want the surgery to fix it. try the tampon.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

I started doing the cranberry juice years ago after my grandmother swore by it. Apparently she naturally runs at a borderline infection most of the time, and well she and I are blood relatives and have many other things in common. So I tried it and it works, when I get a regular dose of cranberry juice (2-4 times/week) I have no issues. I've been doing kagel exercises, but I suppose it will take time to build up any muscle tone from that. Thanks for the tip on using tampons, not just anyone would be comfortable posting that sort of info.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 AM
FitDay Member

hey all, just thought id pop in and say hello, im hoping to do a 10k sponsered walk in june, so im trying to get fitter aswell as loosing the weight. to top it off ive just found out ive a dairy intolerence so eating is quiet boring at the mo if anyone has some nice recipes that dont involve, milk in any way shape or form, please throw them my way.

will try to pop in everyday if i can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.