Notices

Calorie pie chart

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calorie pie chart

So my chart says 50% carbs 33% fat and 17% proteins. Is this ok? I dont eat meat so I get my protein from eggs, peanut butter, nuts and beans.

I think the fat might be a little high? Im totally new to all of this so any advice would be awesome!

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Hi MakerBabe,

The percentages in the pie chart are very individualized. Everyone's is different. You will find yours with trial and error.

With that in mind, then, some would say your percentage of fat is high; some would say it's fine. IMO, you would want to make sure that it's more "good fats" than bad...in other words, try to keep your mono- and polyunsaturated fat percentages higher than your saturated fat percentage. But, to be fair, others say that doesn't matter.

Many folks on the site have found that increasing proteins leads to better weight loss; again, that's very individualized. Protein does help build muscle, which in turn stokes your metabolism, so you burn more calories even at rest. Are you able to get protein from dairy sources at all?

I realize that this doesn't really answer your question, but that's because there is no one "right" answer. The best I can offer is: find out what works and do it. Find out what doesn't work and don't do that.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with the percentages being highly individualized. You will have to look at it for awhile, see if it's making a difference (are you losing weight?) and change from there if you need to.

Everyone is different. I personally can not lose weight with my carbs above 40% of my diet, I try to keep my carbs below 35%. My ideal mix is almost equivalent ratios of protein, fat, and carbs. For many people they do need more protein in their diet to help them lose weight. I was vegetarian for 6 years, and it is very difficult to get enough protein to manage your weight on this type of diet. I am not saying it can't be done, and certainly not criticizing your choice of it; I just know from experience that I made up for my lack of meat in my diet by eating pastas, cheeses, and other things that for me tend to make me gain weight.

Another tip to figuring out your ratios that are right for your body type, is to take note of how you feel (mood, energy level, etc..) on different days. I started doing this and it became all too apparent to me that I feel like I will "crash and burn" on my high carb days. Your body will tell you it's right for you.

Good luck figuring out your good ratios.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
FitDay Member

my average 4 weeks' pie says 50% carbs, 21% protein and 29% fat (27.8g of fiber and 1933cal (am BF) just if you were wondering. We all love to compare ) all fats are not equal, as Cassie says, some fats are good while other are not. Things containing good fats, some protein and fiber like PB will keep you full for longer. But I have to disagree on the proteins, I find that if my proteins go over 120g per day it actually slows me down overall, the way it works for me is reasonable carbs (about 200g per day) and moderate protein, something like 100-110g and 60g of fat. If i exercise 3 times a week for about an hour, and follow this diet, I still lose about 1lb a week.
My carbs come from wholegrain bread, oats, fruit.