Notices

TOTM gain? So frustrated!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default TOTM gain? So frustrated!

Okay so I knew going in that 'that time of the month' would mean water weight gain, so I only weighed myself once. I was only up .2 midweek so I figured not so bad. But it ended on Sunday, and not only have I not lost weight, but I've gained back a pound(as of today, it was more before!) I haven't lost anything since Feb 26. The scale is jumping all over the place as well. I weigh myself in the morning before I've eaten, after a bathroom break.
I track my calories, and unless I'm consuming over a thousand calories I'm not aware of, I can't be gaining fat. I have lost .5 inches from my waist, but its really bugging me that the scale won't budge. I should have lost a couple lbs by now, not gained.

Does anyone else experience this? How long after that TOTM should your weight go back to normal?

Last edited by Chocoholic89; 03-08-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there,

I experience this all the time. I just don't weigh myself for the entire week surrounding that favorite time of the month! For me it usually lasts about 3 days, but the two days leading up to it and 1-2 days after is just full of wonkiness. There's bloat, water gain, possible salt fluctuations, anything that could be making the scale play games with your mind! I've fluctuated up to five pounds during that time, even after it's over.

I'd say give it another 48 hours, don't hop on the scale, and then see what it gives you. In the meantime, drink TONS of water to help flush out any residual water gain you might have.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for replying, its nice to know I'm not going crazy, lol. I'm trying to increase the exercise, increasing healthy fat (its been under 20% of my calories) and I'm trying to drink more. I'm having a hard time staying away from the scale, I keep hoping every morning something will have worked. So far that stupid scale hasn't budged. I don't know if I should just keep doing what I'm doing and hope something gives or what. I'm really trying to drink more, but its weird, ever since I started eating better I'm just not as thirsty. Before, I used to be thirsty and drink all the time. I guess I was taking in more sodium. Its just so weird that I was doing so well before that time of the month came along and messed it up!