Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/28/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/28/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/28/11

Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Monday Report Card

Health & Fitness Goals:

1. Keep calories in check 1,500 M-F and 2,000 SS. NO 2,262 I love sweet potatoes and things got out of hand.
2. Drink 96 oz of water. NO 84
3. Exercise 6 hours. 38 min
4. Keep carbs to 45% or lower. NO
5. Calorie deficit for the week of 3,500. +60
6. Take DD up to school for "walk the halls" at least once. Not yet.
7. Inflate new stayball. NO

Non Fitness Goals:

8. Average 5 items from the "list" daily. NO
9. Sign up for race and call SIL about same. NO
10. Clean 2 rooms (15 minutes each) and do 1 load of laundry daily. YES
11. Clean out 1 small area of basement. NO

I had trouble yesterday. I did beautifully until dinner time, and then I made the mistake of eating sweet potatoes and 1 serving led to 3 and the next thing I know I'm 700 calories over budget, I thought for sure I would weigh 10 pounds more this morning but I weighed the same. Today so far is going pretty well, although I must be carb crashing because I want candy in the worst way.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Quinn, congrats; almost there! How is your husband doing this week ?

Hope everyone else is doing well and having a great day. True, spring is almost here; it's hit us here in the south and I'll instruct it to move quickly up to the northern climes!
He's not talkin', so it's probably not pretty!

...and yes, PLEASE send some warm weather! Windchills are around 19 degrees here today.

Mike,

I made a big batch of peanut butter cookies Sunday for the family and they are on the counter just killing me right now! Love peanut butter anything!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
He's not talkin', so it's probably not pretty!

...and yes, PLEASE send some warm weather! Windchills are around 19 degrees here today.

Mike,

I made a big batch of peanut butter cookies Sunday for the family and they are on the counter just killing me right now! Love peanut butter anything!
Second the "please send spring north". And I soooo hear you on the pb. Yesterday I had this fantastic coupon for cookie mix, $1 off 1 box, which at my store is doubled to $2, and the price per box was $2.29. So I bought 3 boxes for less than a dollar. Now all I want to do is gnaw the boxes open and bake them up.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

rose ~ hope you are feeling a little better & i agree woo hoo thank goodness for new weeks.

julia ~ good job on getting to a WW meeting.

cassie ~ that's what i do. we have a health food store that grinds peanut butter per batch it's yummy.

almeeker ~ that's good thing is that you weren't up when you weighed yourself. today is a new day & walk away from the sweet potato....lol

omg a 3rd asking for warmer weather. it was like -30 C & -40 c with wind...brrrrr. the kids haven't been playing outside at school for about a week as the schools keep them in when it's below -20 C. my son has an ear infection, but he gets over those very quickly.

i use video tapping as a tool to prepare dances oh my goodness. i video me doing my bollywood dance & it was scary ~sigh~ i wasn't happy with what i saw. at least i have a few days to fix it, but it didn't look good. i'm a little worried.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Something's in the air, ladies...I'm already 4 deep into my sand tarts today and that's after 12 yesterday (been really good up until then)! I worked 'em in, but it's more than I need to be eating. I'll be glad when those suckers are gone; about 1/4 are left now. My only saving grace is that they're only 30 cals. Having those and the homemade PB energy bars here has really tested my willpower.

Almeeker, if you're gonna screw up, you could do a lot worse than sweet potatoes. At least it wasn't empty calories and you got a ton of nutrients out of that.

Sometimes if I'm really craving candy or something sweet, I'll take a piece of fruit (banana, apple, pear, strawberries) and drizzle some chocolate syrup over it, about a 1/2 T. But if that's too much like hair o' the dog, good luck toughing it out.

Sometimes I feel like I need to set up an hourly check in when the tempting foods are around .

Y'all just come visit...we're in the 60s all week, after a weekend in the high 70s!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Tuesday check-in:

1. An hour minimum at the gym - no gabbing! Mon - yes, Tues - yes
2. Water (4 of my bottles each day) Mon - yes, Tues - maybe, getting close
3. Try new recipe - not yet
4. Get to basketball on Thursday night
5. Brush the dog! DONE LAST NIGHT, and he looks good now!

Great posts, everyone! It is satisfying to know that all of us here are human - we have our ups (and we celebrate them) and we have our downs (and other posters encourage us and support us when they happen). I am so fortunate to have found this thread.

Now, would anyone like some snow? I'm giving it away for free!!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728

Sometimes I feel like I need to set up an hourly check in when the tempting foods are around .
I totally felt like this last week at one point...I felt like I needed some sort of hotline with someone on the other end telling me noooo don't do it Ha ha ha...Okay maybe not that bad, but it probably could have prevented me from overeating a little last week.

I feel like this is a really good week, and I'm hopeful that my weigh-in tomorrow will show even just a little bit of success.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

lol, you guys are cracking me up today. I just like chortled in my office and my two office-mates are giving me the O_o...o_O look.

Obviously, this week requires an intervention already!!

EVERYONE PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND STEP AWAY FROM THE PEANUT BUTTER!!

I'll get out the bullhorn if I have to! (And you all can come to Florida and warm up with me! It's 78 today!! )
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone, First of all thank you to everyone that posted greetings or commented on my post last week. There are so many friendly people on this thread that it's hard to get back to everyone. I have spent more time reading over all the posts and although my intentions are good I haven't gotten around to posting as often as I had planned. I find all of you very inspirational and I like to see how many have maintained and or shown losses and I like to see how well organized everyone is in listing their goals for the week. You are all very motivational.

This week I am focused on losing another couple pounds. I am also working on keeping my calories low but paying attention to getting enough nutrients such as Iron, B complex and enough Protein. I am a vegetarian and normally I find it easy to do all this but I am also cutting my calories very low on some days and zig zagging them up a little on other days so my goal is to stay low in calories but get the most bang for my buck nutritionally and that takes some thought!

I'm going to comment on a couple posts since both specifically asked for feedback or suggestions:

Mtlgirl, there is nothing worse than an injury! You didn't say if you were taking anything for it but Ibuprophen (Motrin, Advil or a generic brand) will help quite a bit to bring down the inflammation. If you can gently stretch then that might help but please make sure your body is warm already such as after a shower or bath. If stretching hurts don't do it. Skip the workouts until you are better if it's really bad or try something like swimming if that's possible. Only you know which exercises will hurt you right now but I'd stay away from weights or anything that strains you.

Mike: I have to say something in defense of oats. I know you want a strong, athletic body. I have spent many years in gyms with personal trainers and I have read so many books on sports nutrition that you'd think I was crazy if I told you how many! In the world of bodybuilding and sports-nutrition there are really only a handful of foods that are superior and oats happens to be one of the super foods of all the athletes because of the wonderful amount of amino acids and nutrients etc. I know they are a carb but not all carbs are in the same catagory. Your body gets a whole lot more from oats than you think. Cutting carbs only makes sense if you are eating junk-food carbs. Oatmeal (the real stuff, not the envelops) is processed differently in your body and will not spike your insulin the way other sugary junk-food carbs do (such as candy, crackers etc.) This is why dieticians and doctors recommend oatmeal even for diabetics. Any food that is encouraged for diabetics and for heart patients is the general direction bodybuilders and performance athletes such as runners aim for. Another benefit of oatmeal is that it can help your body fight cholestrol and that is so important. I'm concerned that you are eliminating something like oatmeal and replacing it with foods that are high in saturated fat. (bacon, cheese etc) There is a very big difference in what is considered a "quality" protein and what is a food that contains protein. Of course you should be able to eat your favorites in moderation but please know that these should be considered "treats" and are not going to get you closer to your goal of a strong athletic body any faster than eating icecream would. Your body doesn't know the difference between the two since they are both saturated fats. Try to select better quality proteins whether they are meats, fish or poultry or vegetarian sources. There is a reason why wild salmon, chicken and eggwhites are leading protein choices in the bodybuilding world and in the medical world. You said that your goal is to lower you bodyfat. You will have a hard time doing that if your intake of saturated fats is high and that is a terribly problem with "low carb" diets. I am all for giving up crappy carbs but you'd do better to actually INCREASE the good carbs if you are trying to change your body composition. Also, you probably already know that your body will store excess protein as fat every chance it can because it can process that easily so too much protein is usually worse for your goal than not quite enough would be.

Good luck with the plyometrics! I have done them with my personal trainers for years and believe me they are tough but like any other modality they are beneficial to balance out a workout. They are not aerobic since most people can only do a limited amount so you'll still need to make sure you get some good cardio in your workouts too to lower your bodyfat %. They WILL get your heart-rate up but they are anerobic..also important but that type of exercise uses carbs as fuel so you burn less fat while doing them but they are really good for your heart and muscles and they do burn serious calories..just not coming from the fat stores in the body. They will make you stronger faster and that means you can go like crazy doing cardio so that is a good benefit too! I have no idea what you already do for cardio but maybe you have that covered already. I noticed the P90X but maybe you run or cycle too. Cardio lowers bodyfat the fastest of all exercises. I hope you aren't put off by my long winded comment but it sounded like you were looking for opinions of all kinds so I thought I'd throw in mine.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 AM
FitDay Member

michelle ~ keep your snow we've broken 30 year records for snow fall up here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.