Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/28/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/28/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/28/11

Old 03-04-2011, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

A DISTURBING Study On Caffiene by John M. Berardi

Coffee Drinkers Beware!

While there were several interesting topics presented, including a lecture given by a MD/PhD and research superstar Wim Saris who confirmed all of my incessant ramblings about the value of protein and amino acids with glucose and maltodextrin in a post-workout drink, the topic I found most interesting was the research presented on caffeine/coffee and insulin sensitivity.

For a while now I've been cautioning my clients and T-mag readers about the ill effects caffeine and typical thermogenic agents have on insulin sensitivity. Well, at the University of Guelph they've been investigating this issue intensively and here's what they found:

1) Caffeine intake (in all of its forms) decreases whole body glucose disposal (carbohydrate uptake) by 15-30%.

2) Caffeine intake decreases skeletal muscle glucose disposal by 50%.

3) When consumed with a standard carbohydrate breakfast, caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity, leading to large increases in blood insulin. But even in the face of this insulin surge, blood glucose doesn't disappear at a normal rate. When the body can't take up carbohydrates properly (as when drinking coffee), it releases loads of insulin to help out. However, the coffee actually prevents the insulin from doing this job and you end up with high insulin and glucose. That, my friends, is the serum profile of the obese, type II diabetic.

4) Caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity for at least three hours (this is the duration of the longest study they've performed), but the true duration of the effect isn't known. I speculate that it's at least five hours, the half life of caffeine.

In this case, many people are probably walking around all day with impaired insulin sensitivity. If you're a coffee drinker you should realize that you're living your life like a diabetic except during the times that it could actually be diagnosed. When you go to the doc to see why you're so fat or you feel like crap (if you have any glucose or insulin tolerance problems), what do you have to do? You have to fast overnight and avoid coffee! So 99% of your waking life you're functionally diabetic and that 1% of the time when it really matters and can be diagnosed, you're not. No wonder experts suggest that 50% of North Americans are diabetics who aren't diagnosed as such.

5) In one study, four groups were used to evaluate the effect of caffeine and glycemic index on insulin sensitivity.

The first group got decaf and a low-GI breakfast. They saw a normal blood glucose and insulin response.

The second group got decaf and a high-GI breakfast. They saw a bigger insulin and glucose response in the blood.

However, when the low GI group got regular coffee with breakfast, their blood profile was worse than that of those who got the high-glycemic breakfast and decaf. Therefore coffee/caffeine can turn a low glycemic meal into a high glycemic meal!

Finally, the group that drank coffee and had the high-glycemic meal ended up looking like diabetics.

6) One interesting hypothesis generated at the seminar was as follows: In terms of insulin sensitivity, caffeine alone is worse than coffee and obviously (as seen above) coffee is worse than nothing. However, some people believe that certain substances in coffee (specific quinides) can actually increase glucose disposal and improve insulin sensitivity. While the quinide content of coffee isn't strong enough to counter the effects of the caffeine, the quinides in decaf coffee may actually increase glucose and insulin tolerance. This hypothesis still needs to be tested and proper doses have yet to be discussed; however, keep your eyes out for this research in the near future.

So the final word on coffee and caffeine is this stay the heck away from it! The only way to minimize the damage it causes may be to drink your coffee with a very low carbohydrate meal and eat only low carb meals for the next few hours after your coffee intake. I know, I know, it now sucks to be a coffee drinker! But giving up your java may bring you some great health and physique benefits.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Muna ~ hmmm that's interestnig, but not what i've heard. i'm not here to say you or anyone should or shouldn't drink coffee. we all have to make those choices ourselves. however coffee itself is not the bad guy everyone thinks it is. its the stuff put into it that is the bad guy. Dr. Art Hister a very well respected vancouver Dr. who has a very natural & no nonsense approach to health care has said this about coffee (sorry for the long post):

Coffee is Good for You! 2008
If you believe the results of a recent study on the effects of coffee on the risks of heart disease, you’d have to start drinking more coffee in order to protect your heart.

In this study, which was published in the journal Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology (it’s OK if you admit you never heard of it – it’s not exactly the hottest magazine out there even among doctors, who will read anything), researchers used CT scans on over 1500 Dutch people over the age of 55 (young dudes, in other words) to see how much calcium build-up they had in their coronary arteries because it’s now well-established that the more coronary calcification you have, the higher your risk of heart attack since calcium is generally laid down in injured areas of arteries.

The researchers then matched the amount of coronary calcification with risk factors those people might have for heart disease.

And to their surprise (but not to mine), the more coffee both men and women claimed they drink on a regular basis, the less coronary calcification they seemed to have, although the result was much more robust (a little coffee humour) for women than for men.

In other words, drinking coffee regularly may protect against heart disease, in large part (if this is true) because besides containing caffeine, which everyone always thinks is the only thing in coffee, coffee actually contains many minerals and anti-oxidants, thus making coffee (in my humble although caffeine-agitated opinion) a true health drink. caffeine

Healthy Brew April 10, 2010
Now that I’ve had my third health drink of the day (another very dry double cappuccino; after all, who wants too much milk to mar the coffee?), it’s time to sit down (if I can stay sitting with all this caffeinated energy) and take up my favourite cause: to turn coffee into the No. 1 health drink in the nation. By coffee, I don’t mean that brownish watery stuff sold from outlets named after a long-dead hockey player (and from Toronto, yet, where they play hockey about as well as I play the mandolin). But rather, I mean that lovely thickish dark stuff that comes out of machines made only in Italy. Without question, the best coffee in the world is made in simple little Italian stand-up bars with all the magic and ambience of Air Canada waiting lounges. Yes, despite the loud incessant bleating from armies of coffee-haters that coffee drinking causes all sorts of negative health consequences — such as a higher risk of heart attacks, cancer and strokes — the truth is that with perhaps the exception of a small rise in blood pressure in some coffee drinkers and a raised risk of early miscarriage in pregnancy, studies done on real people in the real world (as opposed to lab volunteers given caffeine pills) have never found a good link between coffee intake and any chronic health problems. Even better, lots of terrific studies have actually found positive health effects from drinking coffee, especially a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. “But what if I have a heart rhythm abnormality like atrial fibrillation?” someone is bound to pipe up. “My doctor told me that coffee could make that worse, so I’ve switched to tea instead. And although I feel more mellow, I really miss my coffee.” And that’s true: most doctors (although not me, clearly) have long insisted that anyone with a cardiac rhythm disturbance should eliminate coffee on the theoretical grounds (a little java joke there) that its stimulant effect might dangerously worsen a cardiac rhythm abnormality. But a huge recent American study found that, in fact, the risk of being hospitalized with a cardiac rhythm disturbance was significantly lower in coffee drinkers than in mellow non-coffee drinkers. Bottom line: if you’re avoiding coffee because you’re worried about your heart, you probably don’t have to. As always, however, discuss this with your own doctor before making a change in your habits based simply on something you read in an article, no matter whom that article is from. Oops, got to go now. Energy flagging, so time for another double-cap. Hey, it’s been at least 30 minutes since the last one.

Studies have never found a good link between coffee intake and any chronic health problems.

Last edited by staceyalberta; 03-04-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Just goes to show you that you can find something to support any position. I think with respect to caffeine, the jury's still out.

I did attend a professional seminar a few months ago presented by a reknowned Alzheimer's researcher. He was very positive about the research on caffeine and the brain, in terms of it enhancing a number of protective processes, and also (though it was not his area) having many cardiac benefits.

So, I think the final word for it is to take everything with a grain of salt, do your own investigation, and make a decision about what's best for you.

Stacey...good luck with the show tonight! Above all, have fun! Look at all that purple in your post...you are rocking this week!

Rose & Terri, I've had that mindset many times, too. And what makes it worse is that you know you should know better! Sometimes I have to say out loud to myself that I'm doing well overall and to snap out of it (I do this, generally, in private). Or make a list of your successes and your slip ups, and the former will definitely be longer. Put on some clothes that make you feel great in them and eat something that makes you feel proud and healthy and know that the scale is fickle and soon it will swing your way.

Quinn, congrats on your stellar week . Hopefully your weather will get better and you won't have to hibernate this weekend.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie ~ i totally agree with you. just wanted to put out there the other side of the issue...lol. everyone has to make the chice that's best for them & of course do their own research. thank you for the good wishes the show isn't until tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I understand both sides of the argument when it comes to if you should low carb or not. I just don't know what to believe and figure the best way to tell is to try it. Kinda like some will say that you should workout in the morning on an empty stomach and others will say that you should eat 1st thing in the morning [I eat 1st thing in the morning]. Some say you shouldn't eat past a certain time and others say it doesn't matter [I've tried both, sometimes I'll make a casein shake to hold me over and other times I'll get up and eat at 3am]. When it comes to eggs, some say to skip the yolks, others say that's a very important part of the egg and should always be eaten [I've done both]. It also seems like there are tests or studies to prove and disprove it all.
Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Just goes to show you that you can find something to support any position. I think with respect to caffeine, the jury's still out.

I did attend a professional seminar a few months ago presented by a reknowned Alzheimer's researcher. He was very positive about the research on caffeine and the brain, in terms of it enhancing a number of protective processes, and also (though it was not his area) having many cardiac benefits.

So, I think the final word for it is to take everything with a grain of salt, do your own investigation, and make a decision about what's best for you.
thank you! That was exactly my point earlier when I posted the above quote.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

The debate on coffee is interesting. I actually feel that coffee is beneficial for me. I don't put a lot of cream and sugar in mine, so it's not loaded with calories. I almost never have more than 2 cups (albeit my fave cup is rather tall) and I find that it helps keep certain functions um, more regular. After my coffee is done for the day I move on to strictly caffeine free beverages. I've found that although my morning benefits from a little Joe, my nights do not.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
almeeker ~ short dude w/ big muscles? lol I recently blended a sided by side pic of a before and after where my body lined up in both pics, one 1/2 was before and the other 1/2 was after. It was quite funny to see how much smaller I am.

hope ~ I hope you are feeling better today. I can start low carbing mid week but I'm going to wait until Monday. I am cutting back my carbs some to prempare, yesterday was my lowest carb day in a long time.

Mern ~ Thanks! I think I coasted long enough.

Jenny ~ Good job on the diet coke. Just get your cals in check. You can do this! Tile work? I need to tile my bedroom one of these days.

almeeker (again) ~ Sorry for sharing soooo many details. You would just have to understand the high or euphoria that I get when I opened the box of the king cake and that sweet, sweet smell goes by my nose. My mouth begins to water, my palms get sweaty and I get a big smile on my face as I cut my piece... or pieces. Once the cinnamon hits my tongue a rush of endorphins kick in, just in time for the sugar that's jently placed on top to hit my lips. It's an amazing feeling. Once I've devoured 3 or 4 pieces the guilt starts to set in and the thoughts of "WTF am I doing?". Once again, sorry for sharing the details.

Mern (again) ~ don't let it get your mouth watering, oh BTW don't read my previous post to almeeker...

Muna ~ I understand the spikes, that's why 1 pice of king cake led to 3 or 4

Lizzy ~ working lunches can be difficult.

Jacqueline ~ Getting junk out the house makes it so much easier to eat clean!

Quinn ~ If you didn't tell the camera person to focus on the fish, your hubby's head would have been in the pic. lol

almeeker (once again) ~ #'s are looking good, especially calories. Hey did you ever sign up for that race? I assume so since it's no longer on your list.

Cassie ~ I thought we had all the strange people here in Louisiana. Must have been a Katrina refugee
Mike you're killing me here. You gotta stop talking dirty on this thread or I'm gonna sic the moderators on you! I've never had a King Cake, but I did take a long hard look at the chocolate custard bumpy cake at the bakery early today. YIKES.

No I haven't signed up for the race yet, it's still on the list.

Dude I didn't say you were bigger, just your muscles. I'm in the same boat as far as being a ton smaller nowadays. I can't tell you how many times in the last 6 months I've had someone say to me, "Gee, I never realized just how short you are". Fabulous. I think my nose looks bigger too.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

also for the record i only put stevia in my coffee.

mike & cassie ~ yup there are studies to support any position which at times makes it confusing for us....lol.

Last edited by staceyalberta; 03-04-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

almeeker, I was just messing with you on both accounts. Yeah, be nice and don't report me to the moderators. I even deleted the thread that I posted with that pic I was talking about, so now I can't be accused of being dirty, I guess.

Stacey, it's had to sift through all the information to figure out what's right and wrong. I guess that's why diff things work for diff people, maybe it's all right to some extent... and wrong to another?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-04-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

mike ~ yeah tht makes sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.